Friday, January 1, 2021

Redditors That Joined The Military Share Their Regrets


Someone on AskReddit asked for people that joined the military to share their regrets. These are pretty rough. 

1.

Text - CİD7707 • 2h I regret the last 6 years I was in. It cost me my marriage, my sanity, health, and all around sucked the joy out of life. The stupid game got really fucking stupid in those last six years. Truth is, if I had reclassed to a different MOS, I'm sure I would have been happier and would still be in. But no. I chose to stay in the infantry for 6 more years. Once I got out, I felt 125% better about myself and my life.

2.

Text - CİD7707 • 2h I regret the last 6 years I was in. It cost me my marriage, my sanity, health, and all around sucked the joy out of life. The stupid game got really fucking stupid in those last six years. Truth is, if I had reclassed to a different MOS, I'm sure I would have been happier and would still be in. But no. I chose to stay in the infantry for 6 more years. Once I got out, I felt 125% better about myself and my life.

3.

Text - ageekyninja • 4h My friend said his colleagues were nasty and that I didn't want to know what they did to the women or how they treated them. He said a lot of women who joined who were good friends of his had experienced sexual assault while serving at some point. He said that being in the military did something to some of the men, made them desperate. Either that or they were always sick in the head. Basically they couldn't take no for an answer. They would harass the girls that said no

4.

Text - _Diakoptes • 3h I left after 7 years. The reason I regretted joining is that I never got to used the skills I trained for. It's the main reason I left. l'd see the same people getting cycled back onto deployment and l'd be stuck in a shore office dealing with paperwork at a desk. | I didn't sign up to ride a desk, I signed up to be at sea. I was ready and available to go every time, and my name just never came up. But now l'm in a better job making more money with way less bullshit to dea

5.

Text - libertyprimel7 •5h Almost everyone will regret it at some point and since most joined between 17-22, it's assumed its worse than civilian life because there's not much outside experience to go off.

6.

Text - iamanoldretard • 3h I'm angry at what I believed. I feel stupid and used.

7.

Text - IWas SayingBoourner • 2h It was the greatest concentration of the absolute worst people l've ever come across in my life. Don't get me wrong, there were some great people in the military and well, but the distribution of liars, cheaters, drunks, abusers, backstabbers, and bigots was so much denser than the average distribution in regular society that it got to be too much. Also, dear lord, the number of people who expected to be treated like a goddamn hero just for enlisting was nuts. Lik

8.

Text - Raezutia • 1h U.S A.F went into S.F. regretted it completely and made me rethink career choices. Going to college for a degree in finance now with hopes of becoming a financial analyst. Whole culture sucks, people treat you like garbage 24/7. Tech school was boot camp 2.0 and it was miserable nonstop. Only good thing I got out of it was being stationed in N..Japan where it was quiet, cold and dark. Have no good memories or desire to ever do it again even if I could.

9.

Text - AnathemaMaranatha • 2h Did I regret it? You bet. Lotsa times. Would I do it again? I regret to say - Yes, in a heartbeat. I would. I think Iam more afraid of who I would be now if I hadn't served than I am sorry to be the shambling ancient wreck I am. Losing people wears on you for a surprisingly long time. Y'see, there's some shit I would've rather skipped, but I wouldn't be the person I am now without going through that. People around me seem um... skittish and sensitive, worried about

10.

Text - Tomer8009 • 1h Forced conscription of 3 years, but I could refuse to serve, sit in jail for 2 - 3 months, and be released at the age of 18. I got out at age 21 with no experience, and barely any money (since you are paid around 20% of the minimum wage.. I could do so much.

11.

Text - shifty5616 • 5h 3 1 Award Been in 12 years now, and I feel like most people regret it, in some form or fashion during their time. That doesn't mean that you regret it all the time, but it certainly has it's moments. Even guys with the "cool" jobs have regrets about things. I fly Apaches for the Army, which is arguably the coolest job out there but just like any job, shit sucks sometimes.

12.

Text - Leucippus1 • 2h It is hard to say that I necessarily regret it because I have been out for so long and my life is very copacetic. I think that given the kind of personality I am and who I was at the time I would have gotten more out of going straight to college.

13.

Text - AnAnonymousSource_ • 4h My buddy has PTSD and is deaf in one ear. He's deaf because that was the radio ear and the PTSD shows up in fits of anger when his anxiety jumps for no apparent reason. He gets wound up if he feels like he's being attacked leading to him losing jobs, losing relationships, and alienating friends.

14.

Text - GenericSubaruser • 2h My coworkers were assholes that would bully specific troops into being afraid to work, because would get yelled at if they ever made mistakes (they were apprentices. They'll make mistakes). The shifts were long and irregular; sometimes I would walk in at 7 in the morning for work, only to be told "oh! I meant to call you. You're moved to nights. Come back at midnight". People got placed on weekends for 5 or 6 months at a time and only got pulled off so I could due-pr

15.

Text - Caldaga • 1h I was in for 4 years. There were times during my service that I had regrets, like sitting on an airstrip in middle of the desert for hours in the heat in full gear just waiting to get on a plane with no AC. I like my comforts. After I got out and realized how many doors it opened (professionally as I was an OIF veteran and had a high level security clearance) I no longer had any regrets and was actually happy I endured some shitty times early in life to be better off later. S

16.

Text - EmoGuy3 • 48m Long story short racism in my first division. I had been on the ship at about 2 years Undesignated Seaman which is the worst job other than engineering in my opinion *shout out to the real ones who never see sunlight*. I got a lot of my qualifications early, got my ESWS as an E-2 and it was actually hard. Two new white people showed up two weeks before well dock operations and during well deck operations and while I had my line PO which is a pretty stupid qualification I was

17.

Text - tossersonrye • 2h My nephew was all excited about military, big guns and all that. Now when he's on leave he just describes it as a job. The enthusiasm has dissipated.

18.

Text - dizzypretzel • 5h The alienation from civilian society. I'm out now though.

19.

Text - Bangbangsmashsmash • 3h I knew a guy who regretted it because he thought that he would somehow still be able to smoke weed everyday, slough off, and if he didn't like it, just quit, but honestly it was the best thing for him. He straightened up (it took a lot of work), and has turned into an amazing, disciplined person. You'd NEVER guess he was what he used to be.

20.

Text - domestic_omnom • 1h I pissed away 11 years of my life for some ideology that only exists on paper. Honor, Courage, Commitment has been replaced by paycheck, promotion, benefits. I did not serve my country; I served the egos of who had the most rank. We did not fight for freedom; we fought for Bush family profits. The idea of brotherhood doesn't exist. Yes people of the same rank may have your back. The higher ups are only concerned with their own careers and will throw you under the bus i

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment