Sunday, January 10, 2021

The Weirdest Things About America


Someone on AskReddit asked for non-Americans to share the weirdest things about America that Americans don't even realize are weird. It's amazing how weird your country's normalized behavior can seem to the rest of the world. 

1.

Text - bodhan40 • 2d How your medical ads show an old guy living life well because of X-drug. He has the best time, the wife is having the best time and it's all because of the drug making things better. The end of the ad is full of warnings about how this happy drug can potentially kill you and your family, nuke your dog and make cats impotent. Recap the cliff-hanger episode of life in Alaska before another ad break. Unwatchable TV

2.

Text - linerys • 2d Car dealerships have huge flags. I don't get why you'd have a flag the size of ten RVs. So many roads don't have street lights. Not weird, but portion sizes are also huge. I struggled with finishing my food sometimes.

3.

Text - Daverotti • 2d I went to seaworld with my mum when I was in my mid teens. Halfway through the show, the performer (Not the whale) asked everybody in the military to stand up and the whole crowd gave them a round of applause. They sat back down and the show continued as if nothing had happened. Couldn't imagine anything similar happening back in Blighty. Edit: this was at Seaworld, Orlando not San Diego. Roughly 2003/4

4.

Text - Sp1Nnx • 2d 3 2 Awards When you have ads for drugs and half of the ad is telling you how the drug will kill you while also showing puppies. It's weird.

5.

Text - TheFireKing42 • 2d Not me, but my cousins who had lived in Kuwait and Australia for many years came to visit my family back in texas and laughed at how we said У'all.

6.

Text - BlackNOrange89 • 2d My Brazilian wife says she was amazed that we actually respect pedestrians here.

7.

Text - jursla • 2d Not seeing toilet brushes in hotels. I know, I know, room service and stuff, but is my family expected to look at my skid marks meanwhile?

8.

Text - drailCA • 2d I'm not sure if they find it weird or not but as a Canadian who has been to a few states: Gambling at gas stations in Montana. So damn weird.

9.

Text - victimsoftheemuwars • 2d When we were flying between cities, I found it weird to look out of the side of the plane and see towns midflight. In Australia, once you leave the city's airspace the landscape is completely barren until you arrive at your destination.

10.

Text - staypuftmichelinman • 2d 36 Awards Every man chips in during their pee time to chip away at the skid mark. Edit: 00 piece of silver. Oo piece of silver. Oo piece of silver. Edit: 00 piece of silver. Edit: 00 piece of silver. Edit: o0 piece of... GOLD?! IM ALLERGIC TO GOLD!

11.

Text - betterthansteve • 2d Everything in America is huge. I don't just mean the people or portion sizes, because we all know about that- but the roads, the buildings, the ceilings, the space between everything... America is gigantic. It just feels larger than it does here. I'm Australian but I've been to Asia and size-wise it's similar to Australia, and I've seen Europeans say the same about America. Everything is bigger.

12.

Text - alicebaguette • 2d Clearly the fact that there are people to put your groceries in a bag for you, l've never been so stressed and uncomfortable that while I was watching this young girl taking care of my groceries

13.

Text - PruRay2 • 2d Someone from my country who lives in USA told me that without a car you are crippled in America.

14.

Text - mr_cristy • 2d Canadian here, I was blown away by how weirdly social people are with strangers. Like some random guy l've never seen before just starts telling me his life story on the street. He is super normal, and doesn't seem crazy, just wants to talk to me for some reason. But then also, the dude at Wendy's is loudly threatening some 16 year old cashier in front of like 45 people. I got the impression the Wendy's guy was uncool, but the other guy seemed normal, and where I live I gen

15.

Text - hoocoo • 2d 3 2 Awards The amount of commercial breaks in a tv show.

16.

Text - rustyplayer1515• 2d Canadian here, canadas fast food restaurants have signs that fairly normal height, just enough to get the point across while not being obnoxious, cross over to the usa and within 5 seconds of leaving customs you can see fast food signs hundreds of feet in the air on giant poles. 2 - 3 times taller than here in Canada, why!? also finding peanut butter and jelly swirled into the same jar was shocking.

17.

Text - graycat3700 • 2d That poison ivy not only exists, but it's so ubiquitous.

18.

Text - dinosaur-pudge • 2d Americans are super friendly to the point that I (Australian) thought it was sarcasm or fake.

19.

Text - SingleBarrel • 2d 1 Award That there are a lot of squirrels.

20.

Text - Cripnite • 2d 3 3 Awards Child size drink. It's roughly the size of an average child if he were liquified. 18.3k

21.

Text - theBurgundyBoi • 2d 1 Award I live in the south and one time I was hanging out with a friend smoking by a lake in late spring / early summer. He was Egyptian and had just moved here over the winter. All of a sudden he freaked out saying he was seeing weird lights in the trees. I thought he was too high or something before I realized he meant the lightning bugs. He'd never seen them and didn't know what they were, so I started catching them and he was mind blown that they were just a norma

22.

Text - Inaka_ • 2d On behalf of my wife "what's up with the gaps in the toilet stall doors and no bidet?"

23.

Text - AnLe21 • 2d Free refills. Went to a restaurant with my dad (both German) and all of a sudden the waiter took away my drink with another perfectly good sipp in it and I must have looked pretty shocked. It was only then when my dad explained to me that you guys have free refills.

24.

Text - Endless_intermission • 2d Your toilets are full of water! In Australia the water is much lower. No wonder you complain about splashes on your bum.

25.

Text - Wished-this-was-easy • 2d In Germany "How are you?" is an actual question and you generally only ask it, if you know the other person. It was super hard to explain to my mum that the answer is always "fine, thank you" and that cashiers don't really care about how you actually feel, when we visited the US in 08.

26.

Text - Mycelium83 • 2d Lemondade made with real lemons and its like super sour but some how sugary sweet at the same time. In Australia lemonade is the same as sprite. So when I was there my mum and I ordered Jack Daniels and Lemonade and they made it with the real lemondade and it was awful. It was also weird because they sold pre mixed bottles of Jacks and lemonade with the real lemonade but in Australia you buy the same ones with sprite lemonade. Free refills was the other big one. Everywhere

27.

Text - dodopancake • 2d The bottom of the toilet cubile door is higher than a limbo bar. I want to shit in peace.

28.

Text - tinkrman • 2d 3 Awards Now that Thanksgiving and Christmas is over: The weirdest thing is that Americans will ask what you are doing for thanksgiving. Are you going to your family etc... When you say no. They invite you to their home. (I was a student, My family was thousands of miles away, and I'm happy that the local Cracker Barrel is open and looking forward to a meal there) My Professor did that. Invited me to his home. I had a good time, but it was strange. I'm meeting his uncles and

29.

Text - suomihobit • 2d American that just traveled overseas. I went to a great bookstore in Edinburgh and the cashier asked if I wanted to sign up for a rewards membership. This led to a conversation about how their CEO or something just took over Barnes and Noble in the States. I stated the closest B&N to me is an hour away, and the other cashier jumped in, saying how easy it is to forget how far apart things are in the States. He was just kind of baffled and said it often blows his mind. I mov

30.

Text - Xiaxs • 2d Hawaiian here, but I never noticed that we didn't have billboards until I moved out of Hawaii. Turns out they're illegal. So that's weird. It's awesome, cause I get unobstructed views, but still weird.

31.

Text - laywandsigh • 2d 3 2 Awards Everything's so big. From the super center Walmart store to food portions, the parking lot, pick up trucks, house, cup of coffee, airport, even the people.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment