Sunday, January 10, 2021

Karen Manager Orders Employee to Print a Video File, Gets Fired


You don't need to know much about computers to understand that being asked to print a video file is a stupid endeavor, but this manager wasn't having it. Apparently this was the last thing on top of a pile of other complaints that led to her professional demise. Sometimes managers really don't know whats up, leading to stories like this employee who robbed a museum to prove a point. Here's one about an Aunt Karen who offered exposure for art payment and her scam fell apart.

1.

Text - O r/MaliciousCompliance Posted by u/deeba_ 11 hours ago No problem, I'll print that video for you! And while I'm at it, I might have you fired as well. oc L Hi all, This is my first submission to the sub and I hope you enjoy it! There's a tl:dr at the bottom. Context: This happened a few years ago, I was 18 and working as a receptionist for a community nursing service. As the youngest in the team by a long shot (the average age of employees being around 55-60), I was usually the one respo

2.

Text - Except for the Assistant Manager, Karen. This woman was the bane of my existence, she was 75+, recently came out of a 15 year retirement as a receptionist, and was armed with a certificate in Business Management from a 4 hour online course. She refused to learn basic computer skills such as Word or email, stating that she didn't need to learn them again when she had others to do it for her - namely me. In a 5 hour shift, I would spend 3 hours just fielding her tasks. Needless to say, this

3.

Text - This is roughly how the exchange went: Karen: Why do you only have one file, I sent two? Me: ...you want me to print an mp4? Karen: Isn't that what I asked? A monkey could do your job, and probably better at that (here, I'm pretty sure she laughed at her own joke). Me, desperate: Look, I don't think you understand - Karen: Don't try and teach me, don't forget I did your job for 20 years and now, I could have you fired. Already over it, and ready for some malicious compliance, me: Okay, we

4.

Text - Karen interrupts: I don't care how long it takes, I'm your boss and I've told you to do this. Once it's done you can move on to the other jobs. I'm grinning ear to ear at this point, I get back to my desk and send her an email summarising our conversation and explicitly clarifying she wanted me to print an mp4, to which I got a snarky reply. Perfect. I spent the next 4-5 hours, pausing the video every 2-3 frames, screenshotting it, pasting it to a word document and printing. The administr

5.

Text - Once complete, I took about 100 pages carefully held with clips to her desk and sweetly told her that I'd printed the other file. She looked smug, until she saw what was in front of her. Page after page of almost the same picture as the man moves through the video, some slightly blurry, all in full colour. She was furious, to say the least, but I was 1 hour overtime on my shift and Karen knew that would already cause her some issues, so she let me leave. Though, I knew it wasn't over yet.

6.

Text - Turns out, this was the straw that broke the camel's back as Karen had multiple reports against her from other staff members, and she had been driving HR insane with her own complaints. She lost her job the following week. The best part is that this happened on a Sunday, where I got double pay. I took some of that sweet overtime cash and brought in cupcakes to work once Karen was gone. I said it was an end of week treat, but we all knew what we were celebrating. The HR rep seemed to parti

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment