Saturday, December 12, 2020

Tumblr Post Celebrates People's Inner Nerd


Let's be real. The people that can find that one thing in this wild life that they're completely obsessed with are often times passionate oddballs, that are just fun to be around. Being comfortable with airing out your inner nerd is actually pretty dang charismatic. This quick Tumblr post celebrates some folks' inner nerd quirkiness. 

1.

Text - fandomsandfeminism My favorite thing is listening to people go into extreme detail about some micro- aspect of some hobby they love that I know nothing about. My mother in law loves bird watching. The other day she told me about how the birder world is ROCKED with controversy about the new Audubon society bird naming conventions, particularly their new guidelines on hyphenation.

2.

Text - My sister in law explained in detail specific qualities to look for that distinguish a good jigsaw puzzle from a bad one. A friend of mine can talk your ear off about the different forms of cubism in modern art. This cashier at my local board game store explained to a friend of mine why Hive, a small insect themed strategy game, is amazing but the pill bug expansion breaks the game.

3.

Text - My mom is obsessed with Henry VIIII's wives and can not only list them in order, but knows all of their histories and ultimate fates by memory. Everyone has at least one thing where their scope of knowledge and opinion runs so much deeper than you could ever imagine. Friends and relatives, coworkers and strangers. For me, it is a lovely little reminder of how unique and strange humanity is. How we are all, deep down, nerdy weirdos.

4. Even the comments section rocked the inner nerd.

Text - LoxStock • 187d Now I want to know what makes a good jigsaw puzzle. 270 Diogenes-Disciple • 187d All of the pieces being there 231 drinkup • 187d The best puzzle has: no edge pieces not an overall "rectangle" shape when completed a blank image (all pieces are the same color) pieces printed on both sides • pieces with weird shapes (there's no square- based grid that the pieces align with) before each puzzle is packaged and sent to the distributor, someone at the factory takes 0-3 pieces (n

5.

Text - chipsinsideajar • 187d For me it's between Alternate History, Maps, or Vexillology. If a friend or sibling even brings up the subject, I will talk their ear off about it. 4 64 ... +

6.

Text - Izytm • 187d I, too, can name all of Henry the eighth wives in order. Pretty much anything about Tudor England. It is so INTERESTING! 400 ...

7.

Text - str8aura • 187d • *fluffle puff noises* No no no, she's right about the Pill Bugs. 1.5k ... Sorry-Wilting-Dandy • 187d Please tell me more. I don't no anything about Hive but I desperately want to know more that particular one. 596 •..

8.

Text - alephnaughtmeric • 187d I googled because I was curious too: Hive is a game played with hexagonal bug pieces that your arrange connected to each other. On your turn, you can add a new piece or move a piece that is already on the board. Each type of bug has different rules about how it can move. Pillbugs actually have the ability to move other pieces on your turn. There are lots of exceptions for exactly how this works. This greatly complicates gameplay and can draw out games a lot.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment