Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Vegan Girlfriend Demands Man Get Rid Of Cat


This dude's girlfriend demanded that he get rid of his cat because cats eat and kill mice. Um, let's just sit back and let that sit for a second. Okay, moving forward, this girlfriend sat down with the guy and gave him just the kind of toxic ultimatum that screams, "this isn't going to work out." She said she couldn't see a future with him unless he gave up the cat. The cat was just doing cat things. It seems like she was just too afraid to end the relationship for her own personal reasons, more than anything else. 

1.

Text - r/relationship_advice + Join u/throwRA78wdhsg • 9d 1 1 My (22M) vegan girlfriend (21F) wants me to get rid of my cat I can't believe l'm about to type this but here we go. I've been dating my GF for 7 months. She's amazing and we're super compatible in a lot of ways. She is an outspoken vegan, and she made it clear at the start of our relationship that it was important to her that any potential had similar cruelty-free values. Me, already being a pescatarian, had little difficulty transit

2.

Text - Then there is my cat, Mittens... I've had her for three years and I adore her. She's such a sweet and cuddly cat. However, my GF was always a little apprehensive around her, and she blamed it on not growing up around cats. After a while we sort of made a tacit agreement to mostly hang out at her apartment instead of mine, so Mittens never really came up again in conversation. Fast forward through all the quarantine stuff. My gf and I have spent a lot of time together during this pandemic

3.

Text - However, after a lot of talking and planning, my GF sat me down and dropped a bomb shell on me. She said that with this next phase of the relationship, she did not see a future with me unless I was willing to give away Mittens. She said that she believed owning a cat is unconscionable for vegans, because they hunt mice and eat meat, and because the very act of owning a pet is a violation of vegan principles. I was stunned. I told her that I was absolutely not willing to give up Mittens, a

4.

Text - I got mad and told my GF that I would have really appreciated her telling me about her cat opinions before we got serious. She went on and on about cats killing animals. I ended the conversation there. I was so angry that I left my gfs apartment. And I snuggled with Mittens when I got home! Although the mood soured a bit when my GF sent me a link to a Reddit thread advocating for the extinction of domestic cats. Sigh I think it goes without saying that I am not going to get rid of my cat.

5.

Text - I've talked to some of my vegan and vegetarian friends and they all think my gf has lost her mind. Some have suggested that it's not about Mittens and my gf just wants an excuse to end it. They probably don't understand why I haven't broken up yet, but I care about my GF so much. I'd hate for this bizarre curve ball to be the end of a beautiful thing. I want to try and work something out. Where do I even go from here? I will not compromise on Mittens and I don't think my GF will compromis

6.

Text - -Nerze- • 9d 4 Awards She suggested to give it away ? It makes no sense whatsoever... Will it consume less meat with another owner ? Of course not. It's like boasting about your lack of garbage because you dump it all in your neighbor's yard. Reply 23.8k ... nonbinary_parent • 9d 9 Awards This is what I was thinking. It's not about vegahism, it's about control. 7.4k ... >>

7.

Text - ayecaptainaye • 9d 1 Award As a fellow vegan, no, this isn't even cool. If she truly cared about animals she wouldn't ask you to re-home your cat! It has a loving home! Her way of thinking is ass backwards. If someone told me I am not a real vegan because I have a dog would laugh my ass off and tell them they can have their stupid label, the dog stays, he's family. Just like l'm sure your cat is your family. Reply 8.0k ...

8.

Text - elderjayk • 9d 1 Award Thank you for doing right by Mittens. You're a good person. Reply 15.4k ...

9.

Text - Unrealpeople24 • 9d 2 Awards I wonder if this isn't really about veganism but more of her finding ways in an intimate relationship to express control over her partner. The fact that she doesn't possess the skills to be flexible, compromising, or negotiate with a partner is a big red flag to me. As a cat lover, I'm very glad you stuck by mittens! Reply 1 5.0k ...

10.

Text - sleeeighbells • 9d Anyone who asked or expected me to get rid of my animals would be kicked to the curb. Reply 1 3.2k ...

11.

Text - crap_whats_not_taken • 9d If you give Mittens to a new home... she's still going to hunt and eat meat. So what exactly is your GF solving here? I think she just doesn't like cats. Reply 287 ...

12.

Text - monkey_mcdermott • 9d Ô 4 Awards FYI, cats are obligate carnivores. Don't bow into any "vegan cat foods" or anything like that in an effort to make this work. Your cat will get sick, and it will die of malnutrition. Beyond which pets should not be an "until its inconvenient" commitment Reply 6.5k ...

13.

Text - Chakakhanukkah • 9d O 11 Awards See if the local shelter will allow you to surrender your girlfriend.

14.

Text - kaylacactus • 9d 3 Awards Your girlfriend is literally the definition of a fucking crazy vegan. And a piece of shit. The extinction of domestic cats? It REALLY doesn't sound like she cares about animals like she claims. Yes cats eat meat. It's the fucking circle of life. A shit ton of animals need meat, it doesn't mean they should fucking die. Holy fuck let her go, she may be great to you, but imo, the second anyone tried to tell me to get rid of my beloved cat they could fuck off for all

15.

Text - The_Diesel4 • 9d Dude this is not a good relationship? 7 months together and you completely adapted to her vegan lifestyle? Already starting to talk about moving in together and her wanting you to get rid of your cat? Sounds like a super controlling relationship Reply 109 ...

16.

Text - CJ_MR • 9d As both a vegan and a cat person, fuck her. I've adopted every cat l've ever had. I advocate for and donate to TNR efforts. I volunteer with the Humane Society. The number of cats killed because they are not adopted is astronomical. She's basically advocating the death of Mittens. There is a glut of people giving away cats. Mittens could be killed if you kick him out of your home. An ethical vegan would choose to never breed cats or buy from a cat breeder. But the fact is there

17.

Text - Pigeon-a-boo • 9d Danger, Will Robinson. It's not about anything vegan. It's about control. Controlling you. Right now it's allegedly about Mittens under the guise of being vegan. Down the road it will be about something else. But rest assured, it will ALWAYS be about control. It will always be you sacrificing something or someone, for her. In her mind (consciously or not), she must remain primary in your life, and you must prove it through your continued actions. Run. Run now. Reply 54 .

18.

Text - karolinekite • 9d It's a mutually beneficial relationship to have a cat. Yes cats eat meat and there's no way around that, but by eating a vegan diet as a human, the reduction of harm is not suddenly null and void because cat food. If she won't see reason on this, she needs to GTFO. Lots of vegans have animals and there are lots of great ethical reasons to have a pet. Reply 97 ...

19.

Text - BisquickNinja • 9d Pets are a lifetime responsibility, maybe not yours, but theirs. Cats are obligate carnivores and will not survive without meat. I believe mittens was there first. Reply 19 ...

20.

Text - dominiquey89_ • 9d Your GF is a fucking idiot. You've also shown her how easily influenced you are. Only being together 7 months and completely conforming to her lifestyle. That's just..wow dude. Completely ludicrous to me. I get it you're young but doesn't mean you need to be that naive. To your young mind this may seem like "a bizaree curveball ". It isn't... trust me. These are gigantic red flags. There were already others before but clearly you ignored them. These ideologies and behav

21.

Text - swampy_pillow•9d Rehoming your cat doesnt actually provide any benefits to animals. I dont get this logic at all... so its better to abandon a cat to an uncertain future by giving it away, and thereby taking away a possible home for another cat.... all because of a "love" for animals? The ONLY way your gfs request wouldnt be stupid, is if she asked that after mitten's passing you dont get another animal bc its against her values Reply 19 ...

22.

Text - Brooklyn_Phoenix • 9d As a vegan myself, abandoning an animal who has bonded to you and relies on you for survival just for the sake of a relationship is not very vegan. T also got my dog before I went vegan, and if anyone, vegan or not, told me to get rid of her, l'd be telling them to fuck right off. Besides, even if you were to rehome Mittens, her new humans would most likely continue to feed her meat, so rehoming her isn't going to prevent the death of more animals. You said yourself

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment