Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Ex-Advisor Plagiarizes Work, Gets Exposed, Loses Job


This wasn't petty at all. We're talking about someone with a major transgression that had the audacity to steal someone else's hard-earned research. Cheaters never win. It always catches up to them in the end. In this case, the ex-advisor gets rightfully exposed, and that goes on to cost her her job. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/RelativelySorrowfull • 20h 1 81 My ex-advisor plagiarized my work, so I exposed her and that cost her job. Just found out about this subreddit and had to share this story. The initial reason for the revenge happened in 2013, but the revenge only happened in 2017. I'll keep everything vague as not to be recognized. For context: Back in 2013 I was a graduate student pursuing my master's degree. That was my last year in the program (we had 24 months to finish all the wo

2.

Text - Janet and I had worked together with research since my college days as I became part of an undergraduate research with her. At that point we had been working for about four years and as any advisor-student relationship we more had our disagreements quite often. Janet was used to doing her experiments a certain, archaic, way. I knew there were better uses of our grants money and always tried to push toward a more advanced method, especially correlating data collection and statistics. Howev

3.

Text - My data still wasn't published in any paper as wanted to have more analysis in different areas to make a more robust and better paper. With that said, my dissertation was published and by all reasons that is my work and my experiments. After I got my MS, I decided to pursue a PhD. While I was still going to work int the same field, I wanted to use different techniques and thus talked with Janet about going to pursue a PhD under a different professor in another university. She always encou

4.

Text - For my shock, it was a paper by my ex-advisor. She was up as advisor and another guy, who from his curriculum is her current master's student. Reading the title I thought "Hey, that's neat. She continued researching it." But boy I was wrong. Reading the paper I got increasingly angry. That wasn't a new research. It was MY research! My data was all in that paper, even my graphs and tables. Initially I thought "Oh well, she's also an author and if she is citing it, there shouldn't be a prob

5.

Text - Now, I was livid. I sent an e-mail to Janet confronting her, which was never replied to. However, I am not a pushover and will never allow people to claim my own work as theirs. She made a mistake by using my data. I'm a researcher and I keep everything I ever worked on saved in external SSD's encrypted and on my own possession. All cataloged with date entries and even had my own dissertation to prove my work. In my country, research is financed by the governmental grants. I wrote an e-ma

6.

Text - It didn't take longer than fifteen days for me to get a follow-up. The institution responsible for the grant was furious. They cut all financial aid for her and her student, and made a formal requirement to the university requesting her immediate termination. The journal retracted the paper and is now suing her for plagiarism. Now, after all these years, I learned that she was indeed fired and haven't been able to work in the field ever since. I never met her again and have no intention o

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment