Thursday, March 4, 2021

Non-Americans Biggest Cultures Shocks With America


It's easy to forget just how strange the place you call home is, until you're offered that outside-in perspective. It could be something like not being aware of how comically big the serving sizes can get in America, or perhaps the differences in greeting behavior. 

1.

Font - frescafrescacool • 10h 2 things: The definition of dating. WTE? Dating could mean casual, serious but not committed, being a couple officially, etc. How to greet people. I was used to greeting everyone with a handshake and a kiss on the cheek. Ohhhh boy... freaked out a few people before getting used to give people their personal space. I still cringe thinking about the reactions I got. A 6 Reply 53 3 ...

2.

Font - buzzed_aldrinn • 11h Small talk. Back where I grew up, you generally avoid making eye contact with anyone you don't know. Here, you say good morning and how are you to complete strangers, without really meaning it. I struggled with it at first because l'm generally an introvert and don't like small talk. It just felt unnecessary to me. And also, the way people say "how are you", they do it so robotically that it becomes a jumbled up mess of syllables but you still know what they're saying

3.

Rectangle - legdisabledbyacid • 16h That there isn't really a set of American rules. Things differ from state to state and even city to city. Some places people appreciate when you strike up a conversation, but one town over they assume you're trying to rob them or scam them if you say hello. 6 Reply 268 ...

4.

Font - CainRafe • 13h The social life, people will invite you for dinner and drinks after work quite regularly and it's kinda expected that you go. In Canada people don't do that, maybe on a Friday might you might grab drinks bit it just feels like americans are more social. Also services (e.g taxis) are waaay cheaper, to the point I feel wierd about it G Reply 4 156 3 ...

5.

Font - jman857 · 12h I didn't live there but visited family and it was the portion sizes. I ordered a large drink, can't remember the restaurant maybe five guys, and I swear I was handed a bucket. G Reply 1 136 ...

6.

Font - rideshotgun • 7h As a Brit, not being able to walk outside with a beer. I was staying at a hostel and having a few pre-drinks for a night out. I walked out of the hostel with a few people to go to a bar, and I took my beer with me. Everyone insisted I leave it in the hostel as I could get in serious trouble for walking down the street with a can of beer. G Reply 1 28 3 ...

7.

Font - make_onions_cry · 13h Misleading advertisement. Within a week of arriving phone plan with "unlimited data" was only unlimited up to 100MB. the US, I discovered that my I had to start reading the fine print on everything. G Reply 94 •..

8.

Font - Alex9Andy · 5h You guys put sugar in your bread. Wtf. Now it's cake. O 6 Reply ↑ 13 ...

9.

Font - YetiStew71 • 16h The big food portions, the immigrant workers looking for work at the roadside during my commute to work and the teeth, the incredible shiny teeth (i'm British, so in fairness it wasn't a common occurrence to me up to that point). G Reply 53 ...

10.

Rectangle - Mustardly • 15h How many ways companies try to get more money out of you. A 'convenience fee' for paying by card. If you don't have alot of money then bank accounts charge you for transactions and ATM withdrawals so that just makes you poorer. G Reply 1 51 + ...

11.

Font - gaylurking • 9h High fructose corn syrup. G Reply ... +

12.

Font - O jaykey1904 ·6h The windows. You can open them completely or not at all. In Germany we have a great thing right in between that. The wind can't blow it open or close it. I miss that it's so helpful G Reply •..

13.

Font - AlColbert • 16h Sales tax not being included in the price. In the UK the prices all included it. G Reply 1 182 3 ...

14.

Font - Ecollide · 13h That Americans really dont seem to understand that other countries have things. For example, a Mainer kept going on and on about maple syrup, like he was telling me something new. I just smiled along while thinking, "Does he NOT know that Canada produces the majority of the supply of maple syrup?" G Reply 45 3 ...

15.

Organism - eastcoast_kid · 14h Drinking a glass of cold milk with dinner... My family moved to the U.S. from Italy when I was young. Our household heavily maintained the culture, and I would sometimes experience small doses of culture shock at friend's houses. The cold glass of milk never sat right with me. G Reply 28 ...

16.

Font - captzahl • 13h Serving the salad before the main course and not even ordering it. Still makes no sense to me. In Europe it's always served after the main course as a palate cleaner without any of these ridiculous creamy dressings they have over here. GReply 1 5 ...

17.

Font - TheCrimsonChariot · 4h People just leaving after finishing doing what they came to do when they visit someone. Back home when we gathered at someone's house to do whatev, we did that then stay there after for like 3-5 extra hours talking and shooting the breeze. Here they just "we gathered and did the thing now we gonna go home". It's weird and feels so impersonal. G Reply Vote +

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment