Sunday, January 3, 2021

Woman's Fiancé Gets Her Peloton Bike For Birthday, Fight Ensues


At the very least we're dealing with a situation of clear miscommunication, or refusal from this guy to listen to his fiancé. It sounds like she couldn't have been more clear about not wanting a Peloton bike for her birthday. But alas, there it was come the big day. The tense silence must've been overwhelmingly awkward. Maybe she'll capitalize on the misfortune, and decide to vlog some of it after all. 

1.

Text - AITA... I'm pissed that I got a Peloton for my birthday Throwaway account So, I realize I already sound like a brat. This is the most expensive present I have ever received in my life and I enjoy spin classes, but the back story is what is important here.

2.

Text - About a month ago, my significant other said he had spoken with my sister and came up with some ideas for my birthday and would I like to hear them. I obviously said yes and the first thing on the list was a peloton. I have never had any interest in a peloton and as you can see by the spelling in my throwaway username, I can't even spell it right let alone know anything about it. I said no thanks it's way too expensive and I have no interest in it. I work out at work where I spin 2-4 time

3.

Text - After providing that explanation, I followed up multiple times in the weeks saying "Please, do not buy me a Peloton," “If you ordered a Peloton, please cancel the order and return it." Today (the day before my birthday) I walk down into the basement, and there's the damn Peloton. I'm immediately pissed off. Ask why when I said countless times I didn't want one, there one is in my basement. My fiancé just stared at me blankly. He thought I would change my mind when I saw it. I maintain tha

4.

Text - Expert-Dress • 14h 1 Award In my house this is what we refer to as a “ Homer Gift", reference: an episode of The Simpson's where Homer wants to go bowling and buy a ball and so he buys Marge a bowling ball for her birthday present and it even has his name etched on it. I think you just got a Homer Gift. $10 says your bf wanted it and is gonna use it. NTA

5.

Text - AppellofmyEye •15h • Craptain [191] 3 5 Awards Info- Have you considered vlogging your journey for the next year? O Reply 20.6k ...

6.

Text - TwistOfLime900 • 14h NTA. I feel like the Peloton/price of the Peloton is a red herring. It doesn't matter if we're talking about a $5 gift or a $5000 gift. It doesn't even matter if there's a gift involved. The problem is that you very clearly communicated your feelings and explicitly asked him not to do a specific thing, and he completely disregarded your feelings to do what he wanted or, even worse, decide what you should want instead of respecting what you did want.

7.

Text - Elfich47 • 15h• Asshole Aficionado [10] NTA - and any gift that comes with a subscription fee is not a gift.

8.

Text - disregardable • 16h • Pooperintendant [59] That's actually worse than thoughtless. It's intentionally disregarding your feelings. He may as well have gotten you something to put in his truck for all you'll appreciate it. Some people do believe that you should show appreciation regardless of how shitty the gift is. I am not one of them. NTA.

9.

Text - UnPleasantStuff • 15h • Colo-rectal Surgeon [32] NTA I had this exact same issue but with a coffee machine. I still get occassional complaints that I never used the thing that I told them not to buy me (I don't even drink coffee any more! They knew that!) its just so ridiculous

10.

Text - ElizaCat9 • 15h NTA. Does your boyfriend live under a rock? Did he not see everyone making fun of that stupid commercial and the running commentary about not buying your SO a peloton? You said no many, many times. You did not want it. He is the asshole, and also just kind of dumb.

11.

Text - Bangbangsmashsmash • 14h NTA, it has a return policy, tell him to return it. It's worse than being ignored, it's being intentionally ignored, like he thinks he knows you better than you know yourself.

12.

Text - milee30 • 15h • Commander in Cheeks [219] NTA. He sounds just about as clued in to what women want as the people who made that awful Peloton ad that people love to hate. If you specifically told him not to get something and he still gets that exact thing, it's probably a bad sign that he's turning this around to be your fault and something he can be angry about.

13.

Text - thegudino • 13h • Partassipant [1] NTA - Never had anyone buy me something that expensive but LITERALLY EVERYONE IN MY LIFE DOES THIS TO ME. After telling them multiple times "I don't want that, please don't get me that, if it is that versus nothing I would rather have nothing" AND THEY STILL FLIPPING BUY IT. It's so frustrating and makes me feel like l'm not a person. Then when I'm not so excited and happy for a gift that I did not want, I'm entitled and selfish. I am sorry he completely

14.

Text - comfymistake • 15h • Asshole Aficionado [19] NTA You said many times that you did not want one. You were clear about it. So I don't see why he's so surprised that you didn't want it like you said.

15.

Text - Gaiacreation • 13h • Partassipant [1] NTA. Also, the irony of your boyfriend ignoring your wishes and forcing the "gift" of a Peloton on you cannot be understated.

16.

Text - rhiannondontgo •13h NTA I'm a little concerned by his remark that he expected you to change your mind about something you were so clear was a boundary. What if he has that expectation again about something more serious such as family planning or finances?

17.

Text - sugarbasil • 12h NTA. I generally do not like expensive gifts, as they make me feel very uncomfortable. I had told an ex-boyfriend this multiple times and yet, he went and bought me an iPod for my birthday - and after I had also explicitly told him that I did not like Apple products, no less (I've since changed my mind about Macbooks, FTR). To top it off, he was supporting his mom and sister at the time on barely above a minimum wage job, so I knew he couldn't afford it. When I became ver

18.

Text - Weaksoul • 10h NTA. The thing is, if it was just an exercise bike, it'd just be a shit present. If it was just an expensive exercise bike, you would have grounds as a partner in that couple to raise concerns about (presumably) joint finances (rather than buy me this bike I won't use we could've put money together to go on holiday, do the bathroom etc.) Now. As i understand it (i know little about these things) Pelaton actually imposes a financial burden on you! You have to subscribe, ther

19.

Text - callmebabyhoney • 12h NTA. Also, expecting someone to “change their mind when they see it" is dumb and condescending. When someone's telling you several times they don't wwant to recieve/give/ do etc smth it means they don't want it. End of story.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment