Sunday, January 3, 2021

The Most Insulting Compliments People Have Received


Someone on AskReddit asked for people to share the most insulting compliments that they've ever received. Insulting compliments are a confusing predicament to find yourself in; on the one hand, someone just said something "nice" to you, but on the flip side, the nicety was paired with something else that pointed out how you were less than, in the person's eyes. Like, you're great, but not as good as everyone else in the room. 

1.

Text - pat_patrol • 23h "You actually look good!" The emphasis on 'actually' and the surprise in my friends voice still haunts me.

2.

Text - nails_for_breakfast • 23h You're so funny! Now I get why she's dating you

3.

Text - ToastAndASideOfToast • 23h Being awarded "Most Improved" three years in a row.

4.

Text - dexterr96 • 22h "I don't know why everyone hates you and thinks you're annoying. You seem okay to me!"

5.

Text - The-Berger • 23h Says someone else is super ugly, then "You're even prettier than her!".

6.

Text - motorbike-t • 22h Someone told me I have a voice for radio, I said thanks I have a face for radio too and they enthusiastically said Yeah, you do!

7.

Text - xXGIMpLOrdXx • 23h Joke's on you, I don't get compliments

8.

Text - generallro • 23h Your German is pretty good for a foreigner. I was born in Germany. I was raised in Germany. I've spoken (with them) German for years. Hell, I don't even look foreign.

9.

Text - mynameispounds • 22h S 1 Award "You're like a SMALL cow" Gee thanks.. at least l'm not a LARGE cow

10.

Text - ContextIsForTheWeak • 23h "I can find something attractive in anyone, like Context, your eyebrows are really nice" She genuinely thought that was a nice compliment

11.

Text - meri_28 • 22h My friend was complaining about creeps hitting on her, then she told me "I wish I could be invisible like you."

12.

Text - hardycash • 23h "You're smarter than I thought" helping my then BEST friend in a math class.

13.

Text - Mrs_carroll • 23h Ya know, you'd be STUNNING if you lost a few pounds! You're pretty NOW, but if you lost the weight * Italian chef finger kiss

14.

Text - tooboredtobebusy • 22h I'm not doing what I went to college to do (i'm probably not alone in this :) but l'm gainfully employed and have been at the same company for over 15 years. My sister told me one day "you are smart and someday you'll be doing something that puts your intelligence to use" (paraphrasing). She has no idea what I do. I haven't decided yet if that was an unintentional insult or a real one.

15.

Text - lazyginger • 23h "Wow, you look so cute today! I didn't even recognize you at first"

16.

Text - AzJohnnyC • 22h After buying a couple new pairs of shoes at the Vans store: "You're gonna be the coolest old guy out there." Kid, I've been wearing Vans since long before you were born.

17.

Text - brosbeforetouhous • 23h In a competition, "Nice job. A few more breaks go your way and I might have been in trouble." It's | the irl version of "Not bad. You made me use 10% of my power."

18.

Text - bearybarricuda • 17h Someone once shouted "nice personality" driving by me walking down the street. I wasn't quite sure how to take it at the time.

19.

Text - ad1877 • 23h "Your girlfriend is so great!, How the hell did you pull that off?"

20.

Text - FrankieMint • 22h My boss promoted me. His manager congratulated me in public, calling it a "trial promotion" and me a "trainee".

21.

Text - WastaSpace • 23h "Wow you're really good! I bet you could even play guitar if you wanted" Said to me, after a gig. Im a bassist.

22.

Text - alltheselittleones • 23h "Wow your face almost makes up for (pauses) the rest"

23.

Text - brandnamenerd • 22h Anything that ended in "for a girl" I have a career in IT and have been doing this for years, and had a coworker saying how cool and impressive it was for a girl to be able to learn all this stuff

24.

Text - kc-fan • 17h "You look better without your glasses" Hmmmmm....that's funny, you look better without my glasses too

25.

Text - Marionetteberry • 23h "You know, it's really great that society is so much more accepting of your kind these days."

26.

Text - MdmMedeux • 19h "Don't worry, I think of you as white." A workmate trying to make me feel better after a racist slur was used against me. He thought it was a compliment...sigh.

27.

Text - Altair1208 • 22h "Oh, thank you young miss, you are a perfect little secretary !". From a rich old client at my workplace I helped because I happened to be around. I'm 28, married and a manager. Wouldn't say insulting but oh well.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment