Sunday, December 20, 2020

Weirdest Things Tourists Noticed About Foreign Countries


As a tourist you can sometimes have those moments when various unique corners of the world completely humble you. Your worldview from wherever you came from suddenly seems completely outdated, or just purely insane. Or maybe it's something a bit more innocent, like the jumbo serving sizes one can find in America vs. other places in the world. Traveling always has a way of reminding each of us that there are an infinite amount of ways to do things. 

1.

Text - Elbatcho • 17h I wasn't prepared for how hot water would smell in Iceland. Because it comes from being heated geothermically it smells like sulfur. Showering the first time was a little bit of a shock. Reply 741 3 ...

2.

Text - itdoesnteverwork • 15h Lived in a village in Central China for a year, strangest thing was people constantly recording me then having strangers come up to me to show me pictures of myself from like 2 days ago walking around a supermarket that popped up on their social media feed. Bizzare. Reply 573

3.

Text - Squaragus_Asparagus • 13h Elderly people in rural Japan squatting in the middle of the sidewalk. Not pooping, just squatting to rest. I mean, self-care is important but I almost tripped over an old lady early in the morning. Q Reply 1 401 ...

4.

Text - ConstableBlimeyChips • 16h For myself; getting free refills on soda without even asking was a new experience. First meal I had in America I put down my finished drink and not two seconds later the waitress swoops in with a new glass filled to the brim. Don't get that in European restaurants. For my American friends visiting Europe; finding out the shops close in the evening was something of a shocker. Even the supermarket closes at 22:00, and most other stores close even earlier than that

5.

Text - yankonapc • 14h So much salted liquorice in Sweden. Salted liquorice chewing gum, salted liquorice boiled sweets, salted liquorice scented candles, ice cream, everything. I mean it's nice occasionally, but wow. Q Reply 1 81 + ...

6.

Text - donutshopsss • 17h The USA serves much more food per plate at restaurants than any other country I have traveled to. O Reply 4 374 3

7.

Text - protectedspecies • 17h In Taiwan, when you knock on a toilet stall, the person inside knocks back to let you know it's occupied. Reply 4 518 3 •..

8.

Text - Whats-Up_Bitches • 17h In Denmark: went to a restaurant and people were eating pizza and hamburgers with utensils. Reply 174 ...

9.

Text - ckreds • 17h woman kissed me on both cheeks as a greeting. There never feels like there is a warning, just happens. Reply 1 272 + ...

10.

Text - King_Shami • 12h In South Korea you can hold your seat at a cafe, restaurant, foodcourt, etc with your cellphone or wallet and it won't get stolen. Being from NYC, this took a while to get used to Reply 1 51 ...

11.

Text - Any-Koala-8880 • 14h The amount of casual day drinking in the streets/ city centre in Lisbon. Within my first half an hour I saw 2 random little bars (that I first mistook for ice cream bars) that just sold shots or spirits with a crowd of people outside necking some civilised shots before moving on. (I'm from the U.K. so I this was great) Q Reply 42 ...

12.

Text - joycefanoneofmany • 15h Separate cold and hot taps in most sinks in the UK. Just, why? Reply 99 ...

13.

Text - FreeLook93 • 17h American do not understand standard escalator etiquette. They just stand right in the middle of it, like crazy people. E Q Reply ↑ 172 ...

14.

Text - JeanBlancmange • 15h The US (south) was a massive culture shock as a Brit. Food portions were insane. The vegetables were weird (gigantic mutant tomatoes and cucumbers), l'd never seen young (very obese) people on mobility scooters and kept thinking but that's why you're fat if you won't use your legs! Reply 147 ...

15.

Text - Retroxyl • 13h When I visited Egypt, there were no price tags on anything. The guy in the store would just tell you a price. One much too high of course. Then he was waiting for you to negotiate it down. As someone who isn't that good at interacting with people l've never met, and also hates to give these propably poorer people even less money for their work than they already want, I was quite happy to have my mother with me. She is the polar opposite of me in these regards so she absolut

16.

Text - four-letter-title • 14h Lack of litter on the streets. Ireland in the 80s and early 90s was like an open dumpster. People had an appalling attitude towards rubbish. Which was pretty much the exact opposite of how the country was thought of by everyone else. Returning home after a summer travelling through Europe made me terribly embarrassed. Reply 20 ...

17.

Text - sounders127 • 17h China...they have painted lanes on their roads...they don't use the painted lanes. Reply 1 248 ...

18.

Text - llcucf80 • 17h Many years ago (pre-September 11th, back when they'd just wave you across), I went to Canada a couple times. One time near the border I handed them a $20 US bill to change into Canadian money. The change kept coming, and coming, and coming, and coming. I was baffled: just how much money did I give you? It was great as an American how far US money could take you. I know they probably don't like it, but to me it was great. I've actually heard while the value of the US/ Canadi

19.

Text - ItsViliii • 16h When i visited Spain i noticed that people are way more touchy with each other i was at a car mechanik and the mechanik that was teaching me would just lean against me and watch me do my job i tought it was weird but when i got home i read an article about spain and there it was mentioned that they are closer to each other Q Reply 1 116 5 ...

20.

Text - blackwilloww • 14h Not sure if this would be considered weird, but I think it's amazing how people who live in cities with high altitudes can just walk around without getting tired. When I visited Bolivia and Peru, I was only able to walk a couple of steps and then had to stop and rest because I couldn't breath. The locals, on the other hand, would walk and run normally. I know their body is prepared to deal with the altitude, but I still think it's fascinating. Reply 1 80 3 + ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment