Sunday, December 20, 2020

Computer User Calls Tech Support, Doesn't Understand How Tabs Work


Anyone who has ever worked a job in tech support is likely well accustomed to a wealth of computer users not understanding the simplest of things. It's like we have all this wonderful technology available at our disposal, but sometimes folks fall through the cracks, and really need all the help they can get over things that should be common sense. In this wonderful scenario we have a computer user who somehow doesn't understand how tabs work. Just digest that one for a second. Check out more times that tech support ended up facing waking nightmares over here

1.

Text - r/talesfromtechsupport u/Gsmith2885• 20h + Join @1 31 8 1 User states I can only open 1 program at a time in my browser Short I work for a large multinational in a call center as level 1 tech support. At peak times we have between 20 to 30 thousand employees connected to our network. Our users use various applications many of which run in a browser. Some of the programs require Chrome some require Internet Explorer. I've been doing this for long enough that I have a pretty good understand

2.

Text - Me: Blah blah How can I help you? User:I can only open 1 program at a time in my browser. Me: (I already think I know where this is going) What program are you attempting to use and in which browser? User: I'm using x program and y program. I've tried in chrome and ie. Me: Ok that's a bit odd those should work in both browsers. Let me remote in and see what is happening when you launch them. (Establish remote access) Me: Ok show me what is happening.

3.

Text - User launces x program in ie and it appears to be working. User then launches y program in the same tab. User: Now when I go back to x program I'm logged out. I need both to be running at the same time. Me: Let me show you how tabs work in your browser. Yes ladies and gentlemen this user did not know that tabs were a thing. She also didn't know how to open a second browser window. I was truly surprised. I had heard of this kind of thing but l've never seen it before. Tl:dr User is trying

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment