Saturday, December 26, 2020

People Who Worked Smarter, Not Harder


Some of the greatest innovations at work come from human laziness. It's just not a good idea to work extra hard when you can think of a way to do the same work more efficiently. That said, don't do too good of a job or your boss might find out that you don't need to work there anymore. One or two of these definitely backfired. And a few definitely weren't as smart as the person first thought.

1.

Text - NoCountryForOldPete 10.9k points · 13 hours ago S Maybe not the most impressive story here, but I thought it was a great side-step of effort nonetheless: C-worker of mine had to get rid of a smaller junk fiberglass boat with no trailer. Our other co-workers are all telling him how much time and money he's going to need to spend to get rid of it, and he's just saying "Oh, is that so?" He took off one day, and sat down on his lawn with a cooler of beer. That day was garbage day. Inevitably,

2.

Text - FastWalkingShortGuy 8.5k points · 16 hours ago I did this. A few years back, I was roommates with a super mechanically inclined dude. Our top-loading clothes washer stopped working well because the lid got a little warped and didn't trip the safe switch for the spin cycle to run anymore. He was all geared up to pull the washer out, take it apart, bend the lid back into proper shape, and reseat the sensor so it would run properly. I told him to hold off; I put a load of laundry in, and pop

3.

Text - PM_ME_YOUR_BACHATA 814 points · 13 hours ago Eating cheetos with chopsticks so you don't have to wipe your fingers while playing videogames.

4.

Text - wilksonator 44.8k points · 14 hours ago edited 12 hours ago Award ... Was a temp. Got hired for the day to print 30 packets with 100 pages each. Why would it take a day? I asked 'Our printer doesn't collate the pages so it will take you the day to sort the pages into the 30 packets" they said. Right. It was a standard office Xerox printer. It took me all of 30 seconds to find and click the 'collate' button. Clicked the 'staple' button while at it. All got printed by itself into nice stapl

5.

Text - codymreese 38.8k points · 14 hours ago 3 At my last job, a truck suspension shop, we did inventory every December and it was someone's job to count all the washers and screws of every size. It was my first inventory and I casually mentioned that they should just weigh one screw or washer, then weigh them all and divide the weight to get the count. Everyone looked at me like I had given them the key to the universe. Counting washers and screws went from a day or two, to just a few hours.

6.

Text - seancurry1 37.2k points - 16 hours ago 3 Award from Lebanese. I read a comment on here a while back about a college kid who picked up an office job over one summer. He became friends with an older lady at the front desk who always needed help figuring out Excel. He kept finding shortcuts for her, and eventually wrote scripts for her that took a load of work off her plate. By the end of the summer he had made her job so easy that they decided they didn't need her to do it anymore. They fir

7.

Text - Daxos157 35.6k points · 15 hours ago I work in a semi-warehouse environment and we have to track where items are at all times. When we move X item from location A to location B we had to type out the to and from locations. We do this hundreds of times a shift. I went online to a free barcode maker website and spent about 20 minutes making location barcodes. I save hours a day by scanning barcodes.

8.

Text - Fromhe 22.9k points · 14 hours ago I used to deliver beer. I did not like delivering beer. I may have ended up with 30 stops in a day, including deliveries that the customer would call in to our office for. I used to bring extra beer and blank invoices with me on the truck, to prevent having to drive back to my warehouse to deliver one keg to a place that I was currently across the street from. 7 years later, the driver of that route is still doing that.

9.

Text - clickerroy 21.8k points · 17 hours ago · edited 3 hours ago Automated 70% of my job in a large finance firm as an intern. Never disclosed it and got paid easy money for 6 months. I spent the time doing courses and applying for my grad school. Got my admission letter during the final 2 weeks of my internship and never looked back. Pro Tip: Python and Excel can be your best friend.

10.

Text - cramias 19.8k points · 16 hours ago A programmer outsourced his own job overseas, paying Chinese programmers one fifth of his salary to write code for him, while he spent his days surfing Reddit and watching cat videos. His performance reviews praised him for clean, well-written code and called him "the best developer in the building." https://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/business/us- outsource-job-china/index.html

11.

Text - khaki53 17.6k points · 15 hours ago I worked at a chain restaurant and in my last few months there we got those stupid table ziosks that customers could pay at. There was a survey at the end of every transaction and our managers added new performance metrics based on how many people paid using the ziosk and also how well our service was based on the surveys. One asshole would just fill the surveys out himself after his customers left and gave himself five stars in everything. Dude was alw

12.

Text - explision 17.5k points · 13 hours ago · edited 9 hours ago 3 2 Worked in a huge hotel by the airport*. We had layover with over 400 people, I think we were 3 employees. They had buffet for dinner and then left to go to bed since it was 1 or 2 am. Rule was, we should always go to the room and pick up as many plates as we could and then bring them to the cleaner. Took for ages and I wanted to go home. I decided to roll out the cart and collect the plates and put them on the cart. Guest were

13.

Text - brandnewdayinfinity 16.7k points · 15 hours ago My friend who'd take his baby's clothes off when he fed him. Next level brilliant. Spray the kid off after.

14.

Text - AngelusCaedo 16.4k points · 15 hours ago In high school we had to do four book reports every year. A friend of mine did his on each Lord of the Rings books and the Hobbit freshman year and turned in the same four book reports for the rest of his time in high school. You switched english teachers every year so no one ever caught on. I was never brave enough to try the same thing.

15.

Text - TacticalLeemur 14.3k points 15 hours ago I have an example of how the truly lazy will sabotage tracking so no one knows shit is broken. There was this guy at a software company that does integrated software systems. He hated his boss and his job and apparently most of his team. Every time he was assigned a bug to fix, he would mark it resolved and assign it to a no-reply email address associated with the team. The odd thing that I don't understand is how he managed to keep issues from get

16.

Text - silencedrop66 13.8k points · 15 hours ago Was tiling a bathroom floor. One young guy I was working with was cleaning up when we were done. I told him to take the leftover tile back downstairs to the truck, and then went back to cleaning what I was doing. Ten seconds later I hear this huge crash and then a soft "oh, right." He had gone out onto the balcony and dropped them down to the truck, shattering over $100 worth of tile. He said he "thought it would be faster". He wasn't exactly wron

17.

Text - SAwards f... UltraRunningKid 13.1k points · 12 hours ago Boss hated Excel to the point where he didn't want us using formulas because "you can't trust them to be right" so we needed to "do all the calculations by hand or on a calculator" He would give me a spreadsheet once or twice a week that required lets say, 45 seconds to do, but maybe 7 hours by hand and he told me to "go to starbucks or something and crank it out" He thought that since I pasted as values and he couldn't see the form

18.

Text - SirSithsalot 12.7k points · 15 hours ago I remember having to peel 20kg of charred eggplant at a restaurant I worked in. I asked the chef if there was an easier way to do it. His reply was "yep, get someone else to do it"

19.

Text - TonyMasters 11.4k points · 13 hours ago · edited 12 hours ago 3 There's a story that I've heard a few dozen times about a toothpaste company that had accidentally sent out cases of their product that had a few empty single boxes of toothpaste. The company had endeavored, not only to rectify their mistake, but to ensure they did not repeat it. They hired an engineering company that designed a scale, and alarm shutdown system. If an empty carton was passed down the production line, klaxons

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment