Saturday, December 5, 2020

Lazy Boss Demands Password Change, Gets Incomprehensible Password


Communication is key, and this manager who couldn't pay enough attention to make his own password got exactly what he asked for. As it turns out, this kind of thing isn't so rare. For another time someone at work wanted something but wasn't clear enough, here's a boss who demanded a demolished office but got more than that.

1.

Text - r/MaliciousCompliance · Posted by u/foobar754 17 hours ago Just change your password and write it down for you? Sure thing. oc s Back when I was working at a small company, the company didn't really have a ton of support staff so I'd take a break from the various programming tasks I was doing and would help out. The "manager" of the support team was completely unqualified and basically got the job because he was also the head of sales and it was a customer facing team.

2.

Text - He was also a lazy luddite who refused to learn how things worked and generally made our lives more difficult. One day I was covering on the support desk because they were short staffed and got a call from him that he needed his password changed. I was confused at first and started to walk him through the steps to change it himself. And he shouted angrily, "No goddammit, just change it, write it down on a Post-It and give it to me." And hung up.

3.

Text - So I sat there for a minute and remembered I don't report to him at all. So I changed his password for him. I made it 18 characters long and it was a combination of I, I, 1, ! and | . He was not happy. Especially after he mistyped enough times to lock his computer and he couldn't log in the rest of day. Because the support guy who had the access to do a hard password reset was out for the day.

4.

Text - themcp Score hidden · 15 hours ago Only 18? My boss once got pissy about something and demanded control access to the very sensitive system we had built for the company. We had given him an account which would allow him to see all summaries, but he wanted control of everything, which would allow him to destroy the company in a heartbeat if he did something stupid, and I knew he wasn't technically qualified to do something intelligent. He absolutely demanded it, and I'd be fired if I didn'

5.

Text - The password was all I, I, 1,|, 0, and O. 300 characters of it. I never heard a peep about it again. (Yeah, that was actually the account I used when I really needed it. No I didn't remember it. I had it stored on a USB stick in my pocket and I'd cut and paste it into the program when I needed it.)

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment