Saturday, April 4, 2020

Crazy Rumors About Americans That Ended Up Being True


This AskReddit thread explores various, crazy rumors that non-Americans heard about Americans that ended up being true. Stuff like Americans drinking out of red solo cups, the size of drinks, milk being packaged and distributed in gallons, and the sink water not tasting like garbage (in some places), are actually real life. 

1.

Text - Hasetate • 298d Surfer-dudes actually speak like that.

2.

Text - Inquistador43 • 299d I'm from Quebec and when we went down to Boston for a school trip, I sneezed in public and heard two or three people say "bless you". Quite a weird rumour I had heard not 2 months prior to that. I thought it was nice.

3.

Text - TheHunterBB• 299d That people actually get attacked by Alligators which got in their pools (specifically referring to Florida here).

4.

Text - outrojin • 298d I actually don't properly know if this is true but yous have like a whole isle in your supermarkets dedicated to just the hundreds of cereals you have ?

5.

Text - Kwickly1 • 298d So apparently yellow school buses are actually a thing in America. I honestly thought it was just a cartoon thing, but nope.

6.

Text - reheated_brew• 298d I'm still not 100% sure is true so hopefully can confirm - "buoy" is pronounced "boo-ee" ?

7.

Text - el_dude_brother2 • 299d Free refills!

8.

Text - RavynLearnsBadly • 298d 3 1 Award I'm from Australia, and all my life I believed red Solo cups were like 555 area codes - a Hollywood prop. When I immigrated to the US, my MIL was making dinner and offered me iced tea in a red Solo cup. I lost it, made everyone sign the cup. I've still got it.

9.

Text - Hamptaro • 298d I always thought that the Olive Garden in The Simpsons was just code for 'generic restaurant'

10.

Text - BeYourOwnDog • 299d Sports Bars are actually exactly how they're portrayed on TV

11.

Text - DeeKaah • 298d S 1 Award I studied in Maryland for about half a year back in 2017. l'd always heard that Americans are like... super good at pie. I was pretty much all alone during thanksgiving since everyone else was with their families. One of the RAS l'd befriended knocked on my door and brought me all different kinds of pie. Dear lord, I've never tasted anything that delicious. From blueberry to apple to pumpkin. Every. Single. Pie. They were all amazing.

12.

Text - PlaidSkirtBroccoli • 298d Masked people come to your house, knock on your door asking for candy. Mostly it's just packs of kids but sometimes whole families. This was my friends Halloween culture shock.

13.

Text - The_Sly_Sloth A 299d S 1 Award Drink sizes. Holy shit. When my family visited in 2017 we landed in Texas for a stopover. First thing I saw in the shops part of the terminal was a dude who was drinking from what looked like an actual fucking bucket - here in NZ our "large" drinks would be considered an American "small" or maybe “medium"

14.

Text - bitsaboy • 299d Biscuits and gravy is a legit thing. Also you can ride motorcycles without helmets in some states??? And your iced tea isn't sweetened unless you ask for sweet.

15.

Text - _Warsheep_ • 299d The minimal amount of paid days off you get from work. A friend of mine from Wisconsin was very proud he got 20 days off per year. If someone in Germany would offer me only 20 days, I would laugh at him and leave.

16.

Text - animal1988 • 298d 2 Awards Americans are nice and will stop to talk to Strangers. Canadian here living in Alberta. To any one who has never been, you will be blown away by the general Americans' generosity of their time, knowledge and helpfulness. I have done a few summers of Road trips from Calgary. one time i went to as far east as Ohio-Tennessee, as far south as New Orleans and Dallas, went through the flat lands and rode up the Rockies the rest of the way home... I have visited almost

17.

Text - UnclelrohsGhost • 299d So student loans... how does it work in USA? In the UK, when you go to university, you take out a student loan, and after uni, when you earn a certain amount per year, a percentage above that threshold goes towards paying it back. However if you don't earn that much (idk how much, maybe 20-25k per year) then you pay nothing. Then after a while, if you haven't payed it back (30 years, maybe 40) then it just disappears and you don't have to pay it. In America, do you

18.

Text - violetzinc • 299d The honking... I thought it was a movie stereotype, and then I went to New York

19.

Text - everydayboots • 298d 31 Award American State and National parks are some of the most beautiful places on earth. All parks could use more funding, but American parks are well staffed and maintained. There's real pride.

20.

Text - flyingmouse • 299d S 1 Award I've had several German friends who were amazed that at house parties everyone actually does drink out of red Solo cups. They thought that was just a weird thing people did in movies and now they think it is a huge conspiracy or something

21.

Text - panda_1996 • 298d That Dolly Parton has her own theme park in Tennessee. I thought it was a joke.

22.

Text - Ricket_ • 299d 3 Awards That you can identify Texans with the simple phrase "The stars at night are big and bright"

23.

Text - YaBoi_Louie • 299d Before I moved to America, I heard about dishwashers. That shit sounded too good to be true. Well, imagine my surprise.

24.

Text - memesalwaysdie • 298d They have milk in gallon cartons! When I visited America I went a supermarket for some breakfast stuff, cereal and milk. All they had was milk in gallons! Who could possibly have that much milk? I asked for a smaller carton and the lady who worked their just laughed at me and made a remark about don't we like milk in England

25.

Text - whowantsrice • 299d That American kids eat straight sugar. Walked on to the playground and saw kids chugging these long thin sticks. I try and it was just colored sugar lol. Called them pixie sticks.

26.

Text - nibs123 · 299d That your country is huge! I got off the plane and asked the cap guy how far the hotel was and he said about 30 miles. I almost had a heart attack... turns out cabs are cheaper than the Uk I can't remember the price I paid but I was presently surprised. The UK cabs are like £4 per mile also you would get laughed of the taxi for asking to go 30 miles and not taking the train

27.

Text - [deleted] • 299d The "Take me out to the ballgame song" thats apparently sung at baseball games. still not entirely sure that guy wasnt taking the piss out of me

28.

Text - SukiMayeb • 298d Before I came to "the States" as we called it, I lived in Germany. The area I lived in had no fireflies. So when I got to the states I did not believe my eyes. As I finally saw fireflies, light up the world as fell asleep. I also thought that new York City was a popular fictional city. I didn't believe it actually existed. At the time it seemed too large and extraordinary to possibly exist.

29.

Text - sammi2016 • 299d Not really crazy, but I just learned you guys have like outdoor sirens that get tested somewhat frequently. I've only heard those noises in video games and movies until my friend sent me a clip, because I had no idea it actually happened.

30.

Text - Butterfly1r • 299d 2017 in Athens, Georgia I passed out at work and was fine but my boss had already called an ambulance and insisted I get checked out...a less than 2 mile ambulance ride cost me $950 with insurance. I was only dehydrated...

31.

Text - omikrok • 299d That they are able to drink from the sink i tried that and spit the water it taste like shit (in my country) but when i went to america it taste great

32.

Text - obie17 • 299d That there are many libraries of all kinds in the United States.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment