Thursday, February 25, 2021

Man Mistakes Credit Card For Gift Card, Expensive Fail Ensues


I mean, it's genuinely hard to process the fact that we do indeed share a planet with hopelessly lost souls like the one in this story. The dude literally thought he was making his hefty purchases on a credit card, when in fact it was a credit card. Like, how do you end up in that kind of self-created debacle? The recklessness of blind ignorance is a mystifying thing to behold. 

1.

Font - r/talesfromcallcenters u/RedMirricat · 2y + Join No, we did not send you a $10,000 gift card M On mobile... long, TLDR at bottom I was reminded of this story and it makes me laugh every time I think about it. 10 years ago I worked for a large banking call center that answered calls for customers all over the country as we were in almost every state.

2.

Font - Dumbfounded customer = DC Me = Me (Answer the phone with greeting and DC passes all required security questions, I see in the notes security has contacted him several times and all transactions were valid) Me - thank you for answering those security questions how can I help you today?

3.

Organism - DC - You guys sent me a bill, I don't owe any of this Me - oh, I'm sorry Mr. DC if your card was compromised I can get that shut down, help you report which transactions are fraudulent and get you a new card. DC - You better this is ridiculous Me - Ok, your card is shut down, let's go through the transitions

4.

Font - (They were all big ticket items, $2k to Best Buy, $3K to a Pool/Spa place, $500 to grocery store, etc and they were done with it 5-6 days of the card opening) DC - All of those are mine. Me - l'm sorry, Mr. DC I'm confused and I want to help you, you stated the bill was not yours but you just stated you did all of these transactions how can I help you today?

5.

Font - DC - I won the $10,000 gift card you shouldn't be sending me a bill for it! Me - Mr. DC this is not a gift card, this is a credit card that you applied for at our xxxx branch on xx/xx/xxxx date and were approved for $10,000. DC - No, this is a gift card.

6.

Organism - Me - I do show that branch was doing a promotional drawing for ten $1,000 gift cards totaling $10,000 if you opened a checking, savings or credit card account but that is still going on and the winners have not been selected yet. DC - (lots of cussing and imaginative use of the English languages that I don't remember, it went on for several minutes) What am I supposed to do? I can't afford this bill?

7.

Organism - Me - Mr. DC I apologize for any confusion, I show your minimum is due by xx date, while I wouldn't normally recommend this but this, this isn't a normal situation are any of the items you purchased able to be returned? DC - (more cussing stating he shouldn't have to return anything or pay anything as we should have made it clear this wasn't a gift card)

8.

Font - Me - Mr. DC by any chance do you have the physical card near by? DC - YES WHY??? Me - Does it say Credit Card or Gift Card in the top right?

9.

Font - DC - (Slams the phone with such force that only a good plug in the wall phone could do that I think it shattered) TLDR - Guy gets credit card for $10k mistakes it for gift card gets upset when he finds out he has to pay it back. 1.8k 106 ↑, Share

10.

Font - carl0071 · 2y Reminds me of the story of the spoiled rich girl who thought a credit card was 'free money' because she never had to pay it off. Turns out her wealthy parents set up the card and her dad was paying the bill every month; she assumed everybody's credit card was just free money. 203 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment