Thursday, February 25, 2021

Absurd Medical Misconceptions Professionals Have Witnessed


On one hand, it's baffling that some really dumb medical patients refuse to pay close enough attention to understand how their own body works, especially in a life-threatening situation. On the other hand, since doctors exist, it makes some sense that regular people shouldn't be expected to automatically know everything about medicine. On the third hand, the reality that a grown adult might think their lost arm will grow back is as startling as it is disappointing. Wait, that's three hands. Well, case in point.

1.

Font - Lalllo7 5 days ago 2 2 & 3 More My very blonde baby was born with a slightly elongated head because of the delivery. The doctor handed her to the nurse then said, "Oh! It looks like she's a little towhead!" My (also blonde) husband burst into tears and began consoling me, (yep, blonde). He patted me and said, “ We'll get through this together." The doctor and I made eye-contact, and we both realized my husband thought the baby had a deformed toe head! I was giggling so hard that my baby's

2.

Font - CreativeSuno 5 days ago · edited 5 days ago 5 2 3 5 I offered a diabetic a tissue after doing a finger prick to mop the the 2 drops of blood on his finger. He looked at me like I was an absolute idiot, said "you don't know very much do you" and sucked the blood off his finger. Then spend the next 5min 'educating' me that because he was a diabetic, he needed all the blood he had. Therefore he needed to 'put it back into his body' rather then wasting it by putting it on a tissue. He was und

3.

Font - VloekenenVentileren 5 days ago 12 "What do you mean, I can't eat an entire fruit cake? Isn't fruit supposed to be healty?" -Diabetic type 2 with a blood sugar level of 450 mg/dl.

4.

Font - commoncheesecake 5 days ago "Did you have anything this morning for your fasting blood draw?" "No, just tea with honey, and a glass of orange juice."

5.

Font - give-em-hell-peaves 5 days ago S I still remember reading a reddit comment from a doctor years ago that they were telling the person they were about to lose a finger. They said the person seemed way to ok with it, so the doctor asked how they were handling it so well and the person genuinely told them that it won't be too bad because at least fingers grow back. It began a whole slew of comments from other doctors with patients who had the same misconceptions about limb amputations.

6.

Font - SymBoL94 5 days ago "How are you feeling today?" "Not great, I have a cough that starts from an emotion in my throat and chest. That emotion disturbs me." .. a bacterial pneumonia .. roommate is a neighborhood "spiritual guru"

7.

Hair - GPFO 5 days ago O 5 e6 3 5 E 4 I had a father of a baby absolutely beside himself because his newborn baby had no teeth

8.

Font - JoeMomma1975 5 days ago I once administered a certain type of breathing test to a 58 y/o female patient who worked at a manufacturing plant on 8 hour shifts. In self-reporting her smoking history, she told me she smoked up to 8 packs of cigarettes a day. I think her misconception was that she was going to live forever....

9.

Font - hononononoh 5 days ago S "Can you email me my medications?" "Sure. I can send them electronically to any pharmacy you want." "No. Skip the pharmacy. Ain't there some fancy schmancy way now you can send an email of some kind, and I just print it out and eat it, or I scan it with my phone and listen to it with headphones or summinorother?" "I'm afraid not, sir."

10.

Font - dentist3214 5 days ago I work at a pathology lab that takes Covid tests. We occasionally get phone calls like 'where's the nearest testing site' or 'what's the wait time at (testing site name)'. All reasonable, except for 'Does it hurt when the swab touches your brain? I'm guessing she had a friend or family member get a test and described it to her, but it was pretty hard not to laugh. I did explain to her what actually happens, and she seemed relieved, but it still makes me giggle to re

11.

Font - tjotjohallojsan 5 days ago edited 4 days ago Not me but my sister, currently in residency. She was with a patient who had "a severe pain in her thigh". They screened her, ran thousands of tests and nothing came out of it. They later found out she had A BULLET in her arm but that it had hit her from behind, so it couldn't be seen when she laid down on her back. She thought her thigh was in her arm. I seriously do not get how they didn't find it since this is more common in ER situations bu

12.

Font - Half-Bastard 5 days ago · edited 5 days ago My mother asked me once, completely serious, why brain transplants were not possible. She didn't understand why if you had an inoperable brain tumor they couldn't just pop a new one in there like it was a heart or liver. I tried to explain to her that it wouldn't be the same person but she just stared at me blankly. I love my mother but oof that was probably one of the stupidest conversations I've ever had.

13.

Font - Downtherabbithutch 5 days ago I'm training to be a midwife, and once met an expectant father who panicked when he heard that his daughter was breech because he thought this meant that she was going to come out of his wife's arse. Actually took a chunk out of the inside of my cheek trying not to laugh.

14.

Font - tedy4444 5 days ago · edited 5 days ago I was getting dressed for a hunt with my emt friend and he goes, "dude you've got a hernia." I was like, "naw, I'm just growing an outie." he then proceeded to tell me how dumb I am. a few months later i had hernia surgery. smh

15.

Font - Dungeons-n-swagons 5 days ago Not the dumbest, but most recent. I had a patient who needed a tooth extracted. Young teenage girl, obviously very sheltered. She was telling me how bad it hurts and I asked her what she takes for pain. "I apply a little clove oil to it when it keeps me up at night." I asked if that works and she goes "Um... not really." When I told patient and mom to control post- operative pain with ibuprofen and acetaminophen, they looked at me like I had grown a second he

16.

Rectangle - crazytaco111 5 days ago S I'm a veterinarian and I can't tell you how many nipples I have diagnosed O. (p.s. sorry that's not humane body but thought it was fun to share)

17.

Font - mermaidmyday 5 days ago Working in an ER as a nurse practitioner. I had a patient's granddaughter, who was pregnant, ask me if she dyed her hair would it also dye her baby's hair. Made my day!

18.

Font - SecretMiddle1234 5 days ago I asked an elderly patient to show me how she gives her insulin. She said, I need an orange. I said why? She said well, I draw up my insulin in the syringe, inject it in the orange and eat it! That's how the Dr showed me to do insulin! O e

19.

Font - spindlecork 5 days ago · edited 5 days ago I've had a few good ones, but the funniest actually happened during my first year of college studying PT. Someone raised their hand in A&P early on in learning about muscles, their attachments, actions, and innervations...she asked why humans don't have meat like cows, pigs, and other edible animals...Prof stalled for a second holding it together, then asked if anyone else was wondering about this. Roughly a third of the class (perhaps 20 people?

20.

Font - dctrimnotarealdoctor 5 days ago I'm a dentist and the thing we get all the time that I hate is parents not caring about their child's decay because 'they're just baby teeth'. Losing baby teeth early causes all sorts of problems aside from the pain and trauma but in addition to that I often have to explain to parents that the adult teeth that erupt at age 6 are meant to last forever. They're always oblivious.

21.

Font - TheManInBlack36 5 days ago I used to take retinal photos to look for diabetic retinopathy. When I would call to make appointments, more than once a patient said "Well I just saw the proctologist." No sir, these are retinal photos, not rectal photos.

22.

Font - otter_space08 5 days ago a S My dad doesn't have a clue on anything that happens in the body. I told him I work in a tissue lab and he asked "oh are you developing new Kleenex?" When I told him that I work with body tissue this man really said "oh, I don't think I have that. I just use Kleenex"

23.

Font - Ordinary_Donut1877 5 days ago · edited 5 days ago I'm in the mental health field but I met with a client who was worried that if their relative had a heart transplant would the relative still love and remember them. The logic being that the feeling of love lives in the heart.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment