Sunday, January 24, 2021

Company Won't Replace One Computer, Wastes Thousands of Dollars


There are few companies where management actually knows what's going on. This person had a nearly unusable computer that doubled as a server, and since no one wanted to actually do anything about it, the company felt the pain for the next long while. Weird how some stuff just slips through the cracks. In an opposite but similar vein, here's a guy who improved company efficiency but had that disbanded by management. For an IT triumph, here's a time when management illegally banned overtime pay but IT got it all back.

1.

Text - Posted by u/themcp 15 hours ago 2 45 34 8 4 You won't pay $100 for a new hard drive? Okay, enjoy paying $22k for my time to deal with the problem. oc L I had a job where I had a computer which was, incidentally, also the web server for a very important internal web application. I thought this was really stupid that it wasn't in a server room being managed by IT, but for some weird reason they wouldn't do it. I didn't use this application or have anything to do with it, but it took up a la

2.

Text - This application was apparently something developed by my department before I joined the company, and everyone involved with it was no longer there, and nobody really knew anything about how it worked other than that this machine had to be running and signed in and it wasn't developed in our normal system and wasn't in our code repository. By the end of my time with the company, they'd had such turnover that I was literally the only person in the department who knew it was even there. I w

3.

Text - It quickly got to the point that I had to call IT to tell them my PC was becoming unusable due to disk space and could they please do something about it, and suggested that because of this application they might want to take this PC into management and give me a different one. I thought they would do something like replace the computer (identical would be fine as long as it didn't have this application on it) or give it a larger internal disk or maybe even just attach an external disk (I

4.

Text - it'd get bad, I'd remove what I could and start a defragment, and the machine would become too slow for me to use for about 24 hours during which time I could do no work... this happened about once a week, so it took about 1/5 of my time. (Not counting time spent looking for stuff to delete.) I kept telling manglement this was happening, and they kept telling me to shut up and deal with it, but at least when they wanted me to do stuff and it was "I can't, my computer is busy clearing disk

5.

Text - So, because IT was too lazy to do anything and manglement was too lazy to go to bat for me and the company was unwilling to spend $100 on an external hard drive, they got to spend over $22,000 a year on salary for me to sit around and wait for the machine to make some space so I could do my work. (That wasn't my salary. That was the portion of my salary that they were wasting on this problem. Not counting the value of the time of everyone else that had to do my work while I couldn't.)

6.

Text - Oh, and it was getting to the point that I wouldn't be able to deal with it at all (there wasn't anything left to delete and defragging wasn't reclaiming any more space and the company's internal software took up more and more space every day and I estimated I had about a week left before it became fully unusable), when I had a heart attack and a stroke and never went back. I occasionally think (with, admittedly, some glee) of the panic it must have caused when they no doubt turned off th

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment