Sunday, January 24, 2021

Biggest Red Flags People Got During Job Interviews


Not all jobs are made the same. Looking for a job can be a dramatic adventure fraught with personal doubt and harsh self evaluation. It's a moment that inspires many painfully relatable job interview memes. Honestly it's weird that we have to name our own value as people and jockey with employers who would like nothing more than to get as much work out of us as possible for the least amount of compensation possible. Some jobs are definitely better than others, and it's apparent during the interview process. A lot of them are worth a "screw this, I'm out." 

1.

Text - lempiraholio 3 days ago Once an interviewer straight up asked me if I had any trouble working for free on weekends... I told them my free time is more valuable than anything and that the only way that I would work a weekend is if they are paying me and if I felt like working a weekend. She got really mad at me and ended the interview right away. Biggest red flag I've ever seen because they didn't even try to hide it.

2.

Text - glitterpumps 3 days ago 2 5 e S E I brought up a company's awful Glassdoor reviews and they got so mad they ended the interview. WelI. Guess I dodged that bullet

3.

Text - beard_lover 3 days ago 92 e S 2 84 When you ask, "what do you like about working here" and the interviewer talks about the location of the job ("it's a great place to live!") instead of the actual job.

4.

Text - DragonsLoooveTacos 3 days ago 4 3 2 This actually happened to me: Interviewer: Do you have any questions for us? Me: what is a challenge this department has recently faced? Interviewer: Job security

5.

Text - Couch_slug 3 days ago 5 6 S4 I didn't know it at the time, but "you'll be wearing many hats" was a sign that they were going to give me the work of four positions and the wage of one. I didn't last a year there before I left and now I won't even finish reading job ads that include that line.

6.

Text - Bitch_Tuna 3 days ago 2 I once turned down a job offer because they mentioned that the previous person in the position had quit after a few months, and most of the people I interviewed with seemed stressed out.

7.

Text - pissingintherain1220 3 days ago 2 "We only want the best of the best" Me: "how much are you paying?" "Minimum wage"

8.

Text - accidentpronehiker 3 days ago G 2 32 8 "You are required to wear clothing that has the company logo. You must purchase it yourself. From the company."

9.

Text - icebox666 3 days ago 5 S 8 2 Always ask the interviewer about the last person who worked the position you are interviewing for, how long they worked, and why they left. Their answers can be very telling of the work environment.

10.

Text - TH3YL1V3W35L33P 3 days ago 2 S You'll get full-time hours but wont be "full time" aka we'll do everything in our power to avoid giving you benefits even though we have you working more than 40 hours in a week. 1 25.9k + Reply Share Report Save littlelily16 3 days ago I once worked in a grocery store, under a union, hired for part time. Consistently, was scheduled 40hr/week until the 3rd week of the month, then I worked 39hrs that week. It kept them from giving me benefits

11.

Text - Miss-Impossible 3 days ago · edited 2 days ago 2 3 e2 3 4 I came in for a job interview at 7:30 PM. The entire staff was still in the office. Should have known right then that 9 to 5 was not ever going to happen. One day I worked until 2:30 AM to finish up a big project, and my boss said to me I could come in an hour later the next morning. Gee thanks bro, with my public transport/travel time that gives me a solid 2 hours of sleep instead of just the one.

12.

Text - 53raptor 3 days ago O3 e 3 4 A I once showed up for an interview and the manager wasn't there that day. No one called me to let me know. The assistant manager was not apologetic for the scheduling issue at all. She was literally just like "oh, she's not here today" in a tone that suggested I should somehow already know that. She said they would call me to reschedule some time the next week. I told her I was currently unavailable M-W but could come in any time Th-F. She said if I couldn't

13.

Text - Kirill47 3 days ago 2 3 3 "We don't like 'clockwatchers' here. We expect everyone to be committed." Expecting more work for no extra pay. Getting mad at you when you leave at 5 even though your stated work hours end a 5

14.

Text - kitten896 3 days ago - edited 3 days ago 4 e Everyone looks tired, also you dont see anyone in your department before working in it other than the boss. Made this mistake a few time was the worst jobs

15.

Text - princessarielle6 3 days ago 2 S Employees are either new hires or have been there for 15+ years with no in between. There is rno room for improvement - it's better to leave for advancement

16.

Text - Saxon_Shields69 3 days ago 95e When you are signing all the forms they give you and you are taking your time to read over every document so that you can fully understand what you are getting into and people come in and start telling you that you don't need to read this and that just sign here and so on.

17.

Text - coffeeinvenice 3 days ago Had an online interview with a company a few years ago. Was interviewed by the regional manager, seemed like a normal interview. Halfway through, he let slip that there were six other people from his company watching and listening in, but the software was set up so I could not see or hear them. And he actually got a kick out of telling me this. It was like being on a first date with someone, and finding out later she had a hidden camera on her and her parents and

18.

Text - madeamashup 3 days ago I interviewed for an independent contractor position on a piece rate. It's hard to predict how much you're going to earn on a piece rate, so to attract me the manager showed me some paystubs from his guys. I noticed that: 1. He could easily cherry pick paystubs to show my his best guys best weeks. All that tells me is that I'm likely to make less than what he's showing me, at least on average. 2. The paystubs were obviously designed to be confusing. They were a full

19.

Text - dachjaw 3 days ago 2 S 3 I was once told "Sometimes the hourly workers go on strike and they lock us in to keep the production line running, but management brings us steaks and we have an informal agreement with the unions so you can cross the picket lines once a week to visit your wife."

20.

Text - oreomurder 3 days ago When they tell you "what I'm paying you stays between you and me, don't discuss pay with anyone else" usually means they are trying to pay you less than your coworkers who do the same job and don't want you to know.

21.

Text - Posaunne 3 days ago 2 E At my last place of work, the person interviewing me had a printed cartoon on their wall of someone who looked like a bomb had blown up in their face, with the caption "I spoke with 'boss' name' about it.. I guess we're still doing it". That wasn't subtle at all, but I ignored it. The boss was an absolute tyrant who wouldn't listen to her staff, consider changing her mind about anything, or let people do the work they were best suited to do. She wouldn't show up fo

22.

Text - Xerodo 3 days ago 24 32 Jobs where the expectations of the position aren't clear. The person hiring you should be able to give a clear idea of your responsibilities are day to day in a practical way. It shows that the company understands what it wants out of the position. I've worked a couple positions that had a really hard time figuring out who was supposed to do what that lead to a lot of confusion and both of them had this in the interviews. If the company you're working for can't def

23.

Text - ManiacDan 3 days ago 6 I was once part of a group onboarding for an IT job. They handed us all the one-page new hire "contract" and everyone except me signed immediately. When I read the paperwork, I discovered we were signing a mystery document. Clauses included "I agree to abide by the personal search and seizure security policy (attached)." Without other pages, there was no way to determine what I was agreeing to. I kept requesting more and more pages until the HR drone said "ok, I gue

24.

Text - IM_OK_AMA 3 days ago e E "Well, the overtime isn't mandatory, but most folks stick around after hours most days." Spoilers: The overtime is mandatory.

25.

Text - sevencoves 3 days ago Not getting to speak with who your direct manager will be. A game room or ping pong table is advertised as a perk. The blatant overuse of buzzwords about your profession, clearly written by someone with no clue. People seem tired.

26.

Text - Toadwave_ 3 days ago If they seem too relieved that someone actually showed up for the interview.

27.

Text - StaffordComeback 3 days ago · edited 3 days ago 3 "We work hard and we play hard." Translation: "You will work 60+ hours a week. You will be expected to work late nights and early mornings. People will treat this job like their whole life. We'll also underpay you. It may look like a decent salary but when you back it out to hourly it's not even remotely competitive with industry standard. But we have kegs and a ping pong table." Also, if everyone that interviews you has been there less th

28.

Text - Space2345 3 days ago When they ask out of no where what clients can you bring with you. ↑ 6.2k Reply Share Report Save stupidlyugly 3 days ago I interviewed with MetLife insurance about twenty years ago. They demanded that I provide them with a contact list of no fewer than a hundred friends and family. Noped out of that quickly.

29.

Text - Expensive_Historian 3 days ago · edited 3 days ago S Last job I worked. "Yea, everyone here is new, but it's totally because of covid" "The boss doesn't like people going out to get lunch because they're afraid you'll never come back, so being your own lunch" "You'll get weird looks if you leave on time". It was a chinese owned company with heavy chinese work culture influence so you were expected to stay overtime all week. Also "the people here are nice but it's pretty stressful". Eta: a

30.

Text - littlelily16 3 days ago Just to add to the flame, I was an 18y old college student at the time, and they would schedule my work shift, during my class time. My manager knew I was NOT avail til 4pm 1 3.2k + , Reply Share Report Save oxalis_rex1 3 days ago This happened to my sister at a certain large coffee chain. Her manager insisted her part time job should be 'more important' than her accounting degree. Ummm no

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment