Sunday, December 27, 2020

Overworked Employee Revolts By Doing His Exact Job Description


People often find after they're hired that their job description doesn't cover nearly as much as what they're actually expected to do. Already stretched to the limit with a dwindling and under-qualified staff, this guy was asked to "do his job" so that's exactly what he did. People have different responses to being bullied at work, like this employee who prank fires themselves or this guy who stood up to his boss who didn't allow sick days.

1.

Text - r/MaliciousCompliance - Posted by S 2 A... u/EricCartmenez 13 hours ago "Would you just do your fucking job?" oc XL When I was 19 years old and a fresh high school (or my country's equivalent) graduate, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. The one thing I did know is that I needed money, so I started applying for all kinds of jobs. After a few weeks of writing applications, going to interviews and waiting nervously for replies, I was hired as a full-time sales assistant an inte

2.

Text - Said company was in the process of opening their first official store in my country and I, as I was hired about 3 months before they were due to open, helped them however I could. I created one-pagers (basically posters that show all the hardware inside a device plus a picture), translated manuals, put security tags on products etc. Whatever they wanted me to do I did, sometimes until late at night, still foolishly thinking that this initiative would maybe be recognized in one shape or an

3.

Text - The first thing we realized we didn't have were guidelines on how to handle returns and warranty cases. As the company's electronics had been available online long before the store opened, some people now started bringing in their devices to get them fixed or swapped out, none of which we knew how to handle. This annoyed a lot of customers, being given the information that only devices bought at our specific store would be handled under warranty only made things worse for us. We were gett

4.

Text - This, as it turned out was only the tip of the iceberg. Some of the other problems we had included: -Having a break room with no access to fresh water, no fridge, no microwave and of course no bathroom (all big no-nos where I live) -Resupply came in sporadically at best, sometimes we were resupplied twice a week, sometimes there were no deliveries for three weeks, making it very hard for us to tell our customers when their devices will be arriving. -The store manager was so incompetent, h

5.

Text - -The bosses upstairs apparantly wanted us to provide tech support over the phone, which again none of us where trained to do. We did our best, but only really ended up with more threats in addition to having our official store phone number constantly blocked by these calls. Also, we were expected to take over social media communications as well, meaning we now had to answer questions on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc., putting even more strain on our small team. In the end, the manager

6.

Text - I took over most of his duties, still only earning about half of what the manager made. Naively I worked 60 to 70 hour weeks for almost 3 months straight, still thinking that this would somehow pay off. I made sure to tell my bosses how much more I did than we agreed upon in my contract, but they didn't seem to care. That is, until our sales figures dropped. All of a sudden I had two of them come into the store unannounced, basically drag me into a back room and start lecturing me on how

7.

Text - Me: "Well, a lot of customers are unhappy with the way we h-" Boss 2: "Our products are very competitive, why are you still struggling to sell them?" Me (slightly disgruntled): "Well SIR, as I was trying to say, the customers are not happy with our service and running a store with just two employees is almost impossible. If we could hire two more assistants, maybe we could focus better on our numbers." Boss 1: "The interviews for those positions are ongoing, you will have new employees so

8.

Text - After that meeting I felt defeated. Doing all this extra work, staying late, taking responsibility for things I had no business taking responsibility for, the threats, the uncertainty, the stress, the sleep deprivation, all for nothing. And that's when it clicked in my head: Fuck those guys. The wanted me to do my job? Fine. From now on, I would do exactly what my job description says, nothing more, nothing less. The next day, I came in early, opened the store, everything normal. Until th

9.

Text - Later that day, after my collegue had arrived, we got delivery of new product for the store. The delivery guy handed me the manifest, asking for a signature. Again declined, stating that I was just "doing my job" and the manager would have to sign that. After making it clear to him there wasn't a manager on site, he left, taking all of the new product with him, product which we desperately needed. But I was beyong caring at this point. About fifteen minutes later, I got a call from Boss 1

10.

Text - Half an hour later, Boss 1 and 2 descended onto me. They rushed into the store demanding an explanation for my behaviour. I simply replied: "I'm just doing my job sir, just like you asked me to do." Boss 1: "What the fuck do you mean? Then why has nobody accepted today's delivery or the documents we've sent you?!" Me: "Well, that's the managers job. I am not a manager." Boss 2: "Yes you fucking are, what the hell are you talking about?" Me: "Uh, no, not only would my pay be pretty poor fo

11.

Text - Boss 2: "And who the hell is supposed to the managers job if not for you?" Me: "I don't know, but I would gladly do it, if you doubled my salary of course." Boss 1: "Hahaha! (actually laughing in my face) Who the hell do you think you are? We can have you replaced with someone cheaper in a heartbeat!" Me: "Okay then, go ahead, I quit, effective immidiately. Bye." And then I just left. My remaining collegue, upon hearing me quit, also quit immidiately, leaving our former bosses wide-eyed w

12.

Text - The kicker? About a month after I quit and with my lawsuit for unpaid wages now pending, I got a call from Boss 1, telling me he wanted to accept my offer of doubling my salary to become the store manager. He said noone was willing to take the job now that word got around how awful things are in the store. The following conversation ensued: Me: "Frankly Boss 1(I used his first name here, just to piss him off), I don't much like getting laughed at, so I'm afraid if you want me to come back

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment