Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Man Improves Company Efficiency, Management Disbands It, Business Takes A Hit


Every now and again you come across a company that clearly doesn't deserve the employee that they have under their belt. This is a clear, glaring, painfully obvious example of such a situation. Let's just say that the company in question certainly doesn't seem to enjoy the aftermath that they very well brought on themselves. 

1.

Blue - r/MaliciousCompliance + Join u/Clueguy · 1d 1 2 2 5 @1 3 5 8 2 Are you sure you want me to get rid of my server that you use daily? Have fun dealing with the aftermath (Long) XL TLDR: Guy improves work place efficiency and all is good. New management and corporate policy doesn't like the efficient way of helping customers so they disband it. 24 hours later the blow back from decommissioned software has now affected business negatively. All could have been avoided if they continued to do w

2.

Text - thank you u/redditisntreallyfe for the summary I'm going to use it if you don't mind. Story I worked for a large consumer electronics retailer for many years as technical support. I was also in charge of all of the internal devices and computers employees used at my location. Not the computers that were on demo for customers to use (comes in to play later) The retail stores offered technical support for computers and mobile devices. Now for technical support there were two laptops that I

3.

Text - One such useful tool is called RecBoot. This application was Freeware (I checked the license) and not an internal tool. Back in the days when iDevices had a physical home button, to put the device in recovery mode, the home and power button would need to be pressed. RecBoot allowed a connected device to be put in recovery mode by clicking the recovery mode button. Easy and simple. A lot of devices had this home button stop working. When you were able to access the device, assistive touch

4.

Text - This was brought up to management. Their solution, well there are tons of demo computers, connect the devices and do restores from them. There ya go, bob's your uncle. These demo computers were loaded with a demo image and configured that any changes made would be reverted when the computer was restarted, also the admin password was a guarded secret (I had the password but was definitely not allowed to share it). To run RecBoot after it had been downloaded from the internet required the a

5.

Text - So to do a restore each demo computer would have to download the restore image (many GB of download) and it would take 20+ minutes just to download one, not even complete a restore. Each device model would need a specific restore image. You can imagine this was not ideal but to management "hey, it works, problem solved" What I started doing was I would unfreeze a few computers, transfer all of the needed restore images on to them from a local server and freeze them again. I would also tra

6.

Text - Everyone seemed to think it was a great idea and it really helped. It was a lot of upkeep. Every time a new software update was released I would have to unfreeze, transfer and then refreeze the computers. If a new demo image was installed on the computers I would have to redo it as well. It would take a few hours to get done. I was happy to do it, it saved a lot of time in the end and we were able to offer better service to customers. Well, the person in charge of the demo computers did n

7.

Text - I came up with a solution, with the server already running I would share the logins with the the technical support team. I could grant admin access on the server, they could run the tools needed (more specifically RecBoot) and should a restore image be needed they could transfer it locally over the network to the demo computer they were using, much faster. All was well until we got a new lead technician. Jeb. Now unlike other stories Jeb was not an external hire but a technician who had b

8.

Text - During a physical inventory of the store it was noted that my server was not a managed internal server nor was it a demo unit for customers. As such it needed to be decommissioned and the hardware returned to the warehouse. Jeb brings this to my attention as I am the one who takes care of internal devices. He asks that I make it gone by the end of the next day. I pointed out that I had followed the guidelines and that he knew full well how useful this was. I brought up that it would impac

9.

Text - He wouldn't have it. He cited that any computer on the network needed to be managed and my server was no longer approved. He also let me know that the two laptops that were being used by the technicians were going to have an image installed on them and now be managed units. I tried to argue (at least for my server) and he threatened to write me up. Alright, I'll let you dig your own grave. He also sent out an email to the whole technical support team pretty much forbidding the use of any

10.

Text - Without my server and now the two laptops being managed no one had an admin password (except me and the IT team who was remote and tickets were usually only responded to in 24-48 hours) but being managed no unapproved software could be installed anyways. Cue the next night (first day without the server) when I get a call from Jeb in a panic, asking how he could get RecBoot working and he really needed it. I had the pleasure of telling him that the server was gone and no unapproved softwar

11.

Text - Turns out a customer started throwing a fit. Not only one but multiple people over the course of the day and each time it was escalated to him to deal with. Each time having my server would have put a swift end to the problem.

12.

Text - This particular customer had an iPhone that was about a year and a half (only 1 year of warranty) and the home button stopped working. They had been in previously and were given the options of the virtual home button (free), paying for a replacement phone (a few hundred dollars) or buying a brand new phone. Repairing the home button was not a repair offered. They had opted for the free option. This time the customers kid had played with the phone, entered the passcode wrong and the phone

13.

Text - Of course the customer doesn't have iCloud set up or a recent backup. So no remote wipe and no way of backing up the info. To top it off they would have to spend hundreds of dollars for a replacement phone or buy a brand new one. Having had the phone less than two years their phone contract was not up for renewal with their cell phone provider. Needless to say the customer was pissed. After that day customer satisfaction and wait times tanked. He had to deal with a lot more escalations. H

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment