Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Bride Demands Destination Wedding Is Child-Free


Weddings are always a ripe environment for dramas breaking out left and right. You've got a couple folks getting ready to tie the knot and spend the rest of their lives together, you've got irrational cases of perfectionism, and you've got family members that should never be in the same room with one another doing just that. In this case, our bride asks the folks of Reddit whether or not she was in the wrong for asking for her destination wedding to be child-free. Most folks seems to take sides with her. The one thing is she might not be able to expect a whole lot of people to show up. 

If you're looking for more juicy wedding drama check out this collection of the year's most entitled bridezillas

1.

Text - AITA for insisting my destination wedding be child-free? Not the A-hole After years of dating my bf proposed and we set off planning the wedding. Our families are spread out across the United States and there is no singular location that would be convenient for the majority. With this in mind we chose a state no one lives in that is central to all but family on the west coast. This location was by the water and since everyone was traveling we chose to make it more 'adult' - evening, open

2.

Text - I understand the hardship of traveling with kids and I also understand the hardship of finding childcare. We weighed the 'no kids' decision heavily. At our venue we had to pay per chair, per plate, and would have had to pay for a babysitting service. This information paired with a waterside venue and the stress of watching children during such a momentous life event sealed the 'no kids' decision. This did not go over well. We had pushback from multiple people, but the most extreme reactio

3.

Text - My older brother is much older. His ex wife, current wife, biological mom, and other extended family live close to him. When I told him the wedding was child- free he tried to negotiate. For months he would call me, my dad, or my fiancé separately with suggestions. The closer it got to the wedding, the more it escalated. My niece at the time was under 3 and my brother said she would be disappointed by not being invited to attend her aunts wedding. He bought plane tickets for himself and m

4.

Text - His wife never planned on coming to the wedding and was always planning to watch their young son. My brother insisted that watching his son and daughter would be too much for his wife, alone. Other family members were available to watch his daughter and he declined. Regardless, he said they would have to leave the wedding early so my niece would be in bed on time. He also said he was never planning on traveling for the wedding, just for the family reunion. I have gotten mixed feedback on

5.

Text - queenoreo • 23h · Supreme Court Just-ass [110] NTA. He knew it was child free and tried to bully you. Q Reply 1.5k ...

6.

Text - numtini • 23h • Partassipant [2] 1 Award NTA but you should understand and accept that anyone who's a parent probably won't be attending. O Q Reply 5.4k 3 ...

7.

Text - WebbieVanderquack · 23h · His Holiness the Poop [1074] NTA. Honestly, I can understand people being frustrated that they can't bring their kids to a destination wedding, because it probably involves finding someone to babysit their children over at least one night. What I can't understand is repeatedly petitioning you to change your mind. You're allowed to have a child-free wedding, and your brother is allowed to not attend. And I'm sure his wife would be fine with their two children for

8.

Text - AntiqueBaby • 21h NTA. Some people hear a boundary as a war cry, that's on them. Reply 87 ...

9.

Text - WebbieVanderquack · 23h · His Holiness the Poop [1074] NTA. Honestly, I can understand people being frustrated that they can't bring their kids to a destination wedding, because it probably involves finding someone to babysit their children over at least one night. What I can't understand is repeatedly petitioning you to change your mind. You're allowed to have a child-free wedding, and your brother is allowed to not attend. And I'm sure his wife would be fine with their two children for

10.

Text - Rabbit1015 · 22h NTA weddings are stressful enough to plan without people trying to strong arm you. Hope you and partner had a great day regardless. Reply 64 3 •..

11.

Text - Happy-Tip-8728· 20h I had this issue at my wedding :). My husband and I wanted it child-free because our wedding was more adult themed. People we invited with children were unhappy and ultimately didn't come. Like someone else mentioned you should accept and understand that those with children probably won't attend. Your wedding is your special day and you can invite whomever you want to You're NTA Reply 21 ...

12.

Text - Dreadedredhead • 18h · Partassipant [1] NTA. You issued an invitation. Instead of child-free, what if folks wanted to argue the start/end times, the menu, the location, the dress code. No, the proper response to any invitation is YES THANK YOU for the invite or NO THANK YOU, but thank you for the invite. He is attempting to change your plans for your event. Instead of demanding different options, the proper response from him should have been NO, but thank you for inviting us. We had a chi

13.

Text - Youngish_widoe • 19h NTA. But, I dont understand what's the problem for people with kids to just decline! When you decide to have kids, you should know they're not going to be invited to some places and events. The parents are going to be restricted as well. All the parents who say "Personally, l'm not going anywhere without my kids." Fine, thats your decision and people respect it. Just decline for that reason. But, if you make that statement, then get mad because your child it not invit

14.

Text - Limerase • 18h NTA Lots of people have childfree weddings, and I frankly can't stand the folks who think their children should be an exception. If you're paying for it, then you can darn well say to guests, no children allowed. I've been to weddings a child. Weddings are not fun. They're stuffy and boring, and when your first experience at a wedding was a Puerto Rican CATHOLIC wedding when you were an ADHD three-year-old, oh lord, was I a bored little nugget. Reply ...

15.

Text - blinkingsandbeepings · 14h NTA. I was leaning the other way because I tend to think weddings should be inclusive family-friendly affairs, but then I remembered the horrible recent story on here about the child who drowned at a lakeside wedding reception. It is probably safer to keep it adults-only and your brother's behavior is pretty excessive IMO. It seems like he's more interested in proving a point (a formal disinvitation? where do you even get stationary for that?) than in finding a

16.

Text - AzuFox • 14h NTA. I'm a parent and I never bring my kids to weddings to begin with. You pay a lot of money to have a special day, I don't need my meltdown-prone gremlin to ruin it or you to have to pay for a plate when she'll probably just be eating PB&j when we get back anyways. plus I like having adult time. So in the situations where I have to go across the country for stuff, I bring her AND a babysitter. Babysitter gets a free vacation, we find a hotel with a pool, and babysitter and

17.

Text - Low-Bank-4898 · 22h · Asshole Aficionado [10] NTA. You can explicitly lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him understand that no means no, apparently. You were incredibly clear, and your brother made some incredibly clear choices. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Congrats on the marriage, though! Reply 1 10 ...

18.

Text - Water-Disastrous · 22h · Partassipant [1] NTA you're planning a wedding and they cost a tonne. Do what you want and what you are going to do. You're not obligated to provide childcare and if they want to bring kids, they can pay for that. If people can't come because of children then you have to accept they won't be there, you would BTA if you were to insist they attend. Reply ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment