Sunday, November 8, 2020

Employee Plays Their Aces When Confronted By Company


Man oh man, Dave was just a bit of a sleeper hit in this tale of glorious, malicious compliance. What initially looked like a case of a slacker who couldn't be bothered to get into work on time, and not take an excess amount of breaks, ended up manifesting in a showdown between Dave and the company that cleared him for everything in the first place. Good stuff, Dave. 

1.

Text - r/MaliciousCompliance u/technos • 1y + Join 3 1 8 1 3 + 3 + 1.5 = All you're getting is a half hour, tops. L Years ago one of my employer's clients decided to set up a new office in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and I got chosen to spend three weeks there getting the new space set up. Also chosen for the job was a guy from another division's Chicago office, Dave.

2.

Text - l'd never worked with Dave before, but from the start I didn't like him much. He was never less than fifteen minutes late, he lumbered like a zombie, and I caught him dozing off more than a few times during the first week on site. Still, he was the closest thing I had to a friend in Fort Wayne, so I invited him out to the bar on Friday for all the company-funded booze we could drink. "I wish!", he says. "I'm going home and passing out until Monday, the commute has been killing me." Wait,

3.

Text - Me: Still, it'll be killer money. That puts you at what, like 70 hours this week? Jeez. Make sure you put in for your gas and tolls quick though, the last time I had to get reimbursed for expenses it took 'em over a month. I could see what little light Dave's eyes held fade. Dave: They're not paying for any of that. Hearing that I put in a call my boss, who was as puzzled as I was. If he'd worked for our division, he'd be paid for his drive time and expenses at least, and we were both pre

4.

Text - Dave: I just passed Portage, making pretty good time all things considered. I should be there in about two hours. Dave sounded perfectly happy about it, so I figured he'd been required to stop into his office before heading out for some reason. Me: Okay, Dave. I'll see you then. When Dave arrived a little after eleven, the first thing he did was take a 15 minute break. Long drive, I understood. There was still most of the day ahead of us, and after the break Dave finally got down to busin

5.

Text - After lunch Dave finally got around to some work, putting in a good twenty minutes reading email before stopping by to see me. Dave: l'm gonna take my second 15 now, then l'm heading home. Me: Uh, what? Dave, grinning like a nut: Don't worry, I spoke to HR over the weekend. I didn't see Dave on Tuesday, his cellphone was going unanswered, and neither my boss or I had any luck finding out why. We didn't try hard; Not our zoo and not our monkey, after all. Ditto for Wednesday but whatever,

6.

Text - Me: Dave! I was getting worried when you were no- show the last two days. Dave laughed a little and after we'd piled our plates with bad scrambled eggs and burned sausage, told me a story. On Monday the client had noticed him coming in late, doing no work, and leaving early and called our company to complain. Dave, in turn, was called into a disciplinary meeting with his boss and local HR who were prepared to terminate him over putting in for 32 hours of un-earned overtime the previous we

7.

Text - An email from his boss instructing him to drive to Fort Wayne every day at his own expense as a "change in work location"(1), an email from Corporate HR telling him he that while he wasn't required to work overtime, he was required to report any overtime worked, including driving to or from a client(2), and a page from his division's employee manual(3) which covered paid breaks off-site. He then informed them that he was not working any more overtime and, after 3 hours driving in, 1.5 hou

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment