Saturday, October 31, 2020

Wildest Reasons Students Didn't Complete Assignments


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the most unexpected excuses that teachers received from students. We've got our fair share of excuses that were clearly blatant lies, and then we've got the brutal, unexpected reasons that kids didn't turn in assignments that were just crazy enough to be actual truths. You never know what could be going on in someone's life!

1.

Text - BlooooContra • 4h O 3 Awards Taught instrumental music down in South Texas, so I basically never game any sort of homework outside of practicing. 6th grade - gave the kiddos a super basic theory sheet to complete that was due back in two days since I had a dentist appointment the next day. When I'm collecting the sheets, a trombone kid tells me "My grandma stole my homework in Mexico and wouldn't give it back." Turns out they were visiting his grandparents over the border outside Metamoro

2.

Text - kindsoberfullydressd • 5h I've got the opposite story. A teacher lost my homework he marked as he left it in his shed and it got eaten by slugs. He did show me the slug eaten paper, and gave me full marks for it so it wasn't all bad! Reply 1.2k ...

3.

Text - Billbapawpaw • 5h I was a TA during uni. They sent me an email: Sorry - computer is broken l'll need an extension. This was early 2000s - so where were they emailing from? If it was the computer lab well then - that's where they could do the assignment. But more than they, they were on my ICQ (I let students add me for extra help) so I saw them online pretty much all weekend... I mean if their computer worked well enough for that and to look at pictures of kitties how could they not compl

4.

Text - ledgerdemaine • 3h The student claimed he put it in a room in his house. He then forgot the room existed. He was at a loss to explain where his homework was. He was upset to think he must have imagined doing it. He apologized to me. The next week to his amazement he 'found' the room, and more amazingly he found his homework. He handed it in that week. Now this may seem like nonsense, but it turns out he had an operation to remove a tumor from his brain when he was ten. One of the outcomes

5.

Text - icunicu • 4h Not a teacher, but we had a report due and I waited until the last minute like always. I slept through class mostly and one day I was abruptly woken up and asked for my report and I said half-asleep, "I didn't do it because my mom died." The teacher was disgusted that I would say something so cruel and sent me to the principal's office. The teacher was called into the principal's office after they found out I wasn't joking and was so apologetic. I wasn't trying to be a jerk a

6.

Text - Cap_ultimate • 5h 1 Award Not a teacher, but one of my classmates said that their dog ate their homework... 1. she has a cat 2. the homework was online... Reply 808 ...

7.

Text - sallan23 • 5h This is legit and too ridiculous to be a lie (This was from a parent at the Catholic high school where I taught at the time.) (paraphrasing because I can't find the original which I kept) "Please excuse the late homework. Our pet cat defecated on it." And yes, defecated was the word they used. Reply 1 172 ...

8.

Text - Jose_Manuel • 3h Not a teacher, and I actually finished my homework. I was in 4th grade, and we were doing a "spring cleaning", and emptying our binders of anything from the previous unit. I guess I was being too slow, because my teacher just grabbed my binder, and shook all of its contents out into the garbage... Including my homework. I told my mom what happened, and she told me to just be up front about it, and to not worry. The next day I went up to my teacher (instead of collecting o

9.

Text - Rufus_Everard • 3h Not a teacher but one of my classmates tried: "I was mugged on the way to school and they took my bag with all my homework in it." "What's that on your shoulder?" "... It appears to be my bag, sir." DETENTION Reply 208 ...

10.

Text - myles5239 · 6h Not a teacher but... I had a classmate who was blind and had a seeing eye dog. One day he told the teacher that his dog ate his homework (he did homework through some Braille device thingy) and his dog looked genuinely guilty. She said "that's not good enough" and the dog promptly vomited up paper with typing on it all over the floor. He got a very quiet "sorry" and was never asked for his homework in that class for the rest of the year Reply 258 ...

11.

Text - neocondiment • 19m Not a teacher anymore but I had a student tell me at the beginning of class, "Mr. Neocondiment? I didn't finish my homework last night on account of five of my family members got blowed up when their house exploded... Also, my cousin got shot and killed. Did you hear about the shooting at x yesterday? That was my cousin." None of this happened, of course, which I confirmed by offering my sympathies to her mother when she came to pick her up. I mean, why did she kill the

12.

Text - Bells87 • 3h Similar story. In 6th grade social studies, we had to make "primitive tools" (AKA everyone made weapons because it was the 1999/2000 school year). I made a short spear using a rock and a stick. You weren't supposed to use "modern" materials, but my dad helped me and had me tape the rock in place. Anyway, day to turn them in comes and the teacher's out that day. Fine. We throw all our weapons in a pile in the corner of the classroom and we'll present tomorrow. Tomorrow comes a

13.

Text - the_angshu_man • 3h "I did the homework the day you gave it to us (which is one week ago), except that I did in an old rough copy of mine and yesterday when I got back from school, dad sold all of our old stationaries for petty cash. I was so mad at my dad, I didn't do my homework to teach him a lesson. Could you please call home and tell him about this?" I couldn't help but laugh xD Reply 119 ...

14.

Text - OverjoyedInsanity • 1h When I was a kid I once told my teacher, "I forgot to get around to it." to which she immediately scolded me and shouted, "YOU FORGOT OR YOU DIDN'T GET AROUND TO IT? WHICH IS IT!" scared the shit out of kid me. Reply ...

15.

Text - GamingPig521 • 1h Not a teacher but, this kid in class literally stood up and said "I burned it," And yes he got detention. Reply 3 ...

16.

Text - Cucurucho78• 1h A student nonchalantly told me he didn't finish his essay as he was just so busy that weekend because his dad died. My gut told me he was bullshitting me but I played along expressing my condolences and him told him to take as long as he needed. After class I called his mom and told her was so sorry for her loss, what a horrible tragedy for her family, etc. and mom was like "Wait, what? What are you talking about?" I recount to mom how her son told me about how his dad die

17.

Text - nottherealusername • 5h When they say they're "busy". I tell them I teach full time, go to university on the weekend for my masters degree and work on my research papers at night. Then I ask them, "so tell me, why are you busy?" They usually can't say anything unless they were truly busy with something serious/ personal. Reply 1 10 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment