Saturday, October 31, 2020

Dude Lives To Regret Staring At The Sun As A Kid


Man, this might get the anxiety flowing for anyone out there that ever did something similar to this as a kid. It's funny and unfortunate that as kids we're all just led along, sometimes down the wrong routes, due to our overwhelming curiosity. The lesson here is obviously to not stare at the sun! And if you have any kids, make sure they're not doing something similar to this! 

1.

Text - r/tifu + Join u/eyedamagedsunwatcher • 2h 3 TIFU By starting at the sun over 12 minutes L As usual, this didn't happen today. This happened over 20 years ago and only recently am I noticing the impact. Don't stare at the sun kids... When I was around 11 I was fascinated by science, I still am. In particular I loved astronomy and the sun is a pretty cool object. I had heard that Galileo had gone blind by looking at the sun through a telescope, so you should never look at the sun. My intell

2.

Text - As an 11 year old, I decided I was going to stare at the sun after it rose for as long as I could and see what happens, you know... for science. I did just that I stared at the sun after sun raise while waiting at the bus stop for school. It didn't seem to be impacting my eyes at all. I tried to avoid blinking as much as possible, but of course I blink a bit. I wound up looking at the sun for approximately 12 minutes. When I looked away there was a clear grey/black circle in the middle of

3.

Text - What scared me is these filters (after image) and this black circle remained strongly in my vision past lunch. Then over the course of the afternoon the filters and black circle gradually began to fade and the world returned to its normal colors by the time I got home. If I looked at something fast enough or darted my eyes I could still see the dark circle. >>

4.

Text - Over the years I forgot about this experiment and recently went to an eye doctor a couple of years ago because my vision has gotten blurry over the years. They took a picture of my retina and pointed out that my macula, I believe that's the word, the point where light focuses on the retina appears to have had how amounts of light exposure for someone my age. They noted it down and said if it gets worse there could be problems. I thought immediately to that long forgotten experiment where

5.

Text - In the last year or so l've noticed more and more the black spot where the sun once was. I will quickly dart my eyes and see it for a second. The brain an the eye are amazing in the that brain wilIl hide or fill in any gaps in the vision with information around the gap, similar to your blind spot, https://www.scientificamerican.com/ article/brain-adapts-in-a-blink/ #:~:text=A%2Osimilar%20phenomenon%20called%20% 22filling,falls%20in%20the%20blind%20spot. Try this out to see what I mean htt

6.

Text - It's interesting how one stupid "experiment" as a kid can come back and reveal the stupidity of it years later. Always wear sunglass, never look directly at the sun even if it seems like you can, you are doing damage to your eyes. TL,DR: Don't look at the sun kids, no matter how much it seems you can look at it without an issue. Always wear eye protection. The sun is damaging your eyes even if you don't notice it or feel it. 2.2k 96 1 Share

Submitted by:

Tagged: FAIL , sun , tifu , Reddit , regret

No comments:

Post a Comment