Saturday, October 31, 2020

Karen Racks Up $16K Phone Bill, Rejects Help From Call Center


All we're missing in this story about a Karen racking up a disgusting $16K cell phone bill while on vacation in some remote island, is a picture of what Karen's face looked like when she learned she was only being given $25 in credit toward the bill. Mind you, this is $25 in credit compared to the thousands ($14K) she was previously offered by a tremendously helpful call center employee. But no, Karen got unbelievably greedy (if not fraudulent), and rejected the kindness being shown to her. Suffice to say, she certainly paid the price. 

1.

Text - r/talesfromcallcenters Join u/DBMaxx • 151d 1 1 $14000 credit off your bill? Not enough for this Karen L Hey guys, I've lurked here for a little while now, and figured l'd share a story from my my call centre days that you guys might appreciate. the full interaction of the call was around 45 minutes, with a lot of talking in circles as Karens tend to do, so l'm going to try my best to condense it down to the interesting parts

2.

Text - So this happened when I was supporting the floor for a team taking calls for a large American cellphone company. The last agent on my team is taking their last call, and l'm just getting things ready to head out for the night (around midnight-ish, we're the last team to finish for the night) when the agent comes to my cubicle with a look of absolute dread. Immediate escalation. I toss on my headset and tell my agent to send her over as soon as possible. She cold transfers her to me, which

3.

Text - M-"Hey there, Karen. I'm DBMaxx, and I am currently supervising the floor, I understand you're looking to talk with me, how can I help you out?" I ask, but I have her account in front of me at this point, and see a bill coming due for a little more than $16000. I suspect this is going to be our issue.

4.

Text - K-"There is absolutely no fucking way I'm paying this bill, this is unacceptable!" M-"Yeah no, I totally get where you're coming from. I definitely wouldn't be prepared for a bill like that, let me take a look and see whats going on here and get this sorted out." It's at this point when I open the bill in question and see a roughly $16000 charge for roaming data. Uh-oh. Karen here went on vacation to a very beautiful, yet very remote island. The going rate for data is an eye- watering $15

5.

Text - Now I'm sure a lot of people are thinking "are there no protections that stop things like this from happening?" and you'd be absolutely right. We sent over 40 text messages warning about data use and notifying what the current charges for data were at the time, as well as turned off her data at the $500 mark, which she manually turned back on. While I'm looking through the account figuring out what exactly happened here, Karen screams obscenities about how evil we are, and how l'm persona

6.

Text - M-"Well, taking a look here I see over a gigabyte of data usage on the week of 'the vacation', which, as you were advised, is billed at $15/mb" K-"Nobody notified me of anything. There was no I could have known it would cost that much." M-"I understand no employee advised you before your trip, but that is only because you never called us, and we had no idea your vacation was coming so soon." K-"I was too busy to call you guys. I don't work for you guys, I don't know these things." M-"I ge

7.

Text - K-"Are you fucking kidding me? $750? That's fucking nothing. I go on facebook and watch a FEW videos, and get THIS bill? You're such a fucking idiot I'm not paying a cent for this." M- *sigh*"Let me put you on hold for a second, I'll see if there's anything else I can do." This is where things get interesting. I look through incredibly old policies on international travel, when I find one that actually lets me rerate charges from this particular country, for god-knows what reason, all the

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment