Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Man Counters Lame Accusations With Epic Spite Video Game


Oh boy, he had us at spite video game. There's nothing better in this world than seeing a ridiculous argument go on to inspire the development of a game that would seem to truly make people feel better. Folks in this comments section on this particular pro revenge story went ahead and tried it out, and loved it! Lastly, apparently if you go on Google and run a simple search for, "tetrads.io" you'll find the game. Go show some love! 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/postfu • 3h 1 e 2 3 2 1 Ridiculed, accused of lying and incompetence, I shoved burning facts down their throats and made a successful business in the process. "The best revenge is massive success." -Frank Sinatra TL;DR; Told I was lying and didn't know anything about game design. Made a spite video game that became a huge hit. Jackass is also forever immortalized within the game credits. PREFACE

2.

Text - This is a very unusual story compared to the typical posts you've read here. There's a lot to unpack but ll try to summarize everything as best I can. I hope you'll find it as entertaining as I did. And, what's great about this story is that it happened very recently, it happened here, evidence is searchable, and it's still kinda on-going. It's a tale of trolls, video game addiction, self-righteous arrogance, harassment, winning an impossible bet, a viral hit in Russia, and massive succes

3.

Text - Two months ago, there was a new reddit post about "using video game to ease depression" that caught my attention. The reason it caught my attention was because it was a game & study that I had in-depth knowledge of (from over a year prior.) Unlike everyone else in the thread, I was the only one who had actually seen the game, played it, knew the developers, and even had the original technical game design documents. The article discussed a variety of topics but never addressed exactly HOW

4.

Text - [SKIP THIS SECTION IF NEUROSCIENCE & GAME DESIGN DON'T INTEREST YOU] A quick side note about this article, for those that like extra details: One of the cool properties of ketamine is that, not only can it provide rapid and temporary relief for depression, it also actively heals damaged brain circuits. Then there's dopamine. A chemical that we internally produce, that has similar but less potent effects. There is no cure for depression, but these are promising treatments for some. The art

5.

Text - improved cognitive functioning, reducing impairment of the reward process, and improving the effectiveness of antidepressant medications. Video games can be a unique non-drug option to accomplish this while easing symptoms. Research has already shown that many popular games can already accomplish this (unintended effects by the game developers). By comparison, the game design they used in this theoretical study was highly limited in scope, so permanent benefits were negligible compared to

6.

Text - My summary posting was fine for a while, until predictable trolls arrived led by an "armchair game developer". Dr. Armchair definitely did not appreciate my post. It was an affront and insult to his profession. Within a few minutes, it dropped 30 karma. I don't care about imaginary internet points but I don't like being accused of lying. Dr. Armchair and his pals started with the usual "do you even lift?" Then it was quickly asserted, from their armchairs, that I knew nothing about flow,

7.

Text - It quickly devolved into Dr. Armchair gleefully, and repeatedly claiming, that he won, he was right, and I was wrong. He demanded that I essentially write a 300 page peer-reviewed study to prove him wrong, and when it couldn't be provided within 5 minutes, there were more gleeful cheers of "HAHA! I WAS RIGHT! I WAS RIGHT! I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU LALALALALA.." Obviously, it was going to be impossible to reason with Dr. Armchair and his buddies. But actions speak louder than words. So, I c

8.

Text - Eventually the mods had enough. Dr. Armchair and his cronies harassment, ad hominem attacks, accusations and inflammatory attacks resulted in multiple posts being removed. But my promise still stood and I fully intended on keeping it. THE BOLD CLAIM The plan was simple: Create a proof of concept that demonstrates just the critical neuroscience principles that induce flow. To prove it beyond a doubt, I intended to also prove that MOST COMMON INGREDIENTS of a game are completely UNNECESSARY

9.

Text - No extras or frills. Built within a short period of time. No music. No sound effects. No animations. No story. No expensive art. In fact, hardly any at all: I would use ONE SINGLE ART ASSET for the gameplay (plus some lines.) No feature creep. No sign-in system. No gacha mechanics. No level design. No achievements. No RPG gamifications. • I could get at least a couple hundred people to play it. I should have also mentioned that it would be built with ZERO BUDGET and NO MARKETING. If this

10.

Text - HOW IT ENDED While I was preparing to stress test the game online, it was discovered by .ru bots that were scouring the web for new games. Even before the game was ready, they published the game link on several Russian gaming sites. The game exploded.

11.

Text - It has graphical similarities to Tetris, so it was a nice coincidence that the game essentially launched and did so well in Russia at first. After that, other game sites started discovering the game on their own too, even before I had a chance to submit the game myself. Most importantly, the proof of concept and everything I claimed worked (high ratings and retention). It proved so effective that the game is currently being played by hundreds of thousands of users worldwide. And it's a cl

12.

Text - I suppose you could say that there are many layers of revenge happening here, maybe even karmic justice or backfiring on their part, it's really hard to classify. The best kind of revenge is always massive success, and shoving it in their faces, however. But, on top of that, I also fully kept to my promises while proving these ignorant individuals so wrong they look like fools. I also added some extra salt to the wound. I figured that success of the game was partly due to Dr. Armchair's i

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment