Saturday, September 12, 2020

Best Excuses Teachers Got That Turned Out True


Someone on AskReddit asked for teachers to share the best excuses they got that ended up being true. The following list of excuses truly shatter expectations. If anything, they're a great reminder that the world is a wild place where the unexpected can strike at any moment. 

1.

Text - 19you1 • 14h Hmmm, I had a student whose father had died and had not done any homework or prep for the geography class, from what I heard the teacher scolded him for not doing so but the student didn't want to say anything (presumably sensitive issue) so his best friend shouted at the teacher "DONT YOU HAVE ANY SHAME, HIS FATHER DIED LAST NIGHT" and the teacher said "I don't care", there was an audible gasp and I was in the next room. Needless to say that teacher is no longer employed her

2.

Text - BrrToe • 14h A guy in my college class missed class one day. The next day he came in with his eye covered up and medical paperwork in hand. Apparently he got pecked in the eye by a chicken.

3.

Text - butterfly_burps • 15h After 9/11, my small-town high school received bomb threats every week for two months, and they decided to make us attend school on a Saturday. Myself and about 5 others showed up for our classes, and every teacher said something like "I can't wait for the excuses on Monday." Most of the excuses were something along the lines of "family plans" or what not, but one kid was made read his dad's note aloud to the class because our first period teacher thought it was hila

4.

Text - Gambachino • 15h Im not the teacher, but we we're told that he had a paramedic student who on their way to write their final exam rolled their car into a creek picked up whatever books they had out of their car and ran the rest of the way to class. Obviously got there late and in tears. You better believe they had a different exam date.

5.

Text - AusPB90 • 14h I was one of about 20 kids who were late to school. We showed up at the school office as a group and when questioned why we were late, we said "The school bus blew up". They questioned "So the engine blew up" The kids "No, the whole bus, in flames. It blew up" There was much conference between the teachers, all of them thinking we embellished the story. Next thing you know, one of the admin staff has the news website open, very obvious image of an entire bus on fire with a b

6.

Text - wrstlr3232 • 16h School sporting event. Kid on our team was late because someone stole his windshield wipers and it was snowing out. Kept having to pull over to the side of the road and wipe off his windshield

7.

Text - Fortisvol • 15h Told me he got pulled over by the cops for wobbly driving on his bike and they thought he was drunk. Turned out he was just dodging all the slugs on the street.

8.

Text - BlossomBelow • 15h I had a six year old turn up late to her lesson and blurt out "sorry I was late, I had to colour in a bunny!" Seems fair.

9.

Text - Zoggles123 • 18h Me. My bus hit a bird and the whole windshield was cracked. We had to wait for another bus to pick us up.

10.

Text - toss_ma_caber • 17h UK - a student couldn't submit an assignment on time as 'the wifi was down on the Megabus'.

11.

Text - DontKillKinny • 16h I had a chemistry professor show up about 15 mins late - just when people were about to leave, he shows up and explains that he was just in a car accident - his car had been in a roll over and he still showed up! He said he was ok. He drove a Volvo.

12.

Text - DatPunk15 • 15h In high school I biked to class. One day I hit a rock and ate absolute shit. I obviously got to class late. Before I could say a word my teacher stopped class and said "Thank you for finally joining us, why are you so late?" I raised my heavily bloodied hands and elbows. It must've looked bad because she audibly gasped and rushed me to the school nurse apologizing nonstop the entire way.

13.

Text - Makenshine • 15h When I was student teaching, I was late because there was bunch chickens in the middle of the road. They wouldn't move at all. This is in the middle of a city of 200,000 people. Freaking chickens. I finally get to school and profusely apologize to my mentor teacher and I told her why I was late thinking it sounded ridiculous. She said, "yeah, those chickens are fucking assholes, they surrounded my car in the McDonalds parking lot last year. Dont worry about."

14.

Text - Zeruvi • 18h In my hometown if you walked into anywhere late and said the phrase "Sorry, grain train" you were never challenged. It was extremely common for 50+ carriage trains to run through the middle of town.

15.

Text - superstartsky • 16h Not me, but one of my good friends: She went to the Royal Military College of Canada, where they wear their uniforms and there are often tourists visiting the campus. Apparently, it was completely normal to be waylaid by tourists looking to have their photos taken with students in uniform that all they had to say when they walked in late was "tourists" and the professors would let it slide. She always wondered how many family photos she was actually in over her time sp

16.

Text - surgicalasepsis • 16h "MTV paid me $50 to fill my backpack with cement and carry it around for the day." I accepted that excuse. Student later regretted it, as a replacement backpack and college textbooks far exceeded $50. But he got his moment of fame and I didn't penalize him for his tardy. Gotta live a little. Edit: someone found a newspaper article on this. Turns out it was $200. He "earned" $100 for the first day and $100 when he returned the next day. I remembered $50, but it was 19

17.

Text - Scoutnjw • 15h Not a student, but one of my Teaching Assistants when I ran a pre-school in West Philly... 'sorry I missed yesterday, my friend shot my mom'. Naturally, l'm a little speechless... 'oh no it's ok, he was AIMING FOR SOMEONE ELSE'

18.

Text - Grizelda_H • 16h My best friend and I used to roller skate to school and one day we both forgot to put our shoes in our backpacks. So we skated to the vice- principal's office and got to skip first period to go home for shoes. We stopped at Taco Bell on the way back for breakfast, because we figured we were already excused.

19.

Text - shoppy33 • 16h I was the student...my neighbor had a really social goat, and she figured out how to escape her pen in order to come over and hang out. She escaped and followed me to the bus stop, and when the bus came, she tried to follow me onto it. I couldn't actually get on the bus without her being right behind me, so I had to get off, bring her home, and call my dad to bring me to school.

20.

Text - Sapang • 17h We had an exam in my class and the teacher got a message from a student saying that he was going to be late because his car had a flat tire (the student was known to party), the teacher didn't think it could be true, so as a joke the teacher asked him to bring the tire back. He brought the flat tire back in the middle of the exam. Needless to say, the professor didn't expect that.

21.

Text - Sheldon_Turtle • 15h Literally today, child missed my first hour class, notes said car accident on the way to school and would be coming late. Kid comes for 2nd hour, has pictures on his phone of the ROLLOVER accident! WTF, kid, go home. Rest. Take care of yourself.

22.

Text - Animecat1 • 16h I was the student. When I was in college I opened my front door to see S.W.A.T. teams and DEA agents outside of my house. The one who looked at me was holding some kind of AR. I went back inside. From what I heard, there was a multiple-sting operation that happened around my town and my neighbors place got raided. I missed half of my classes that day.

23.

Text - Pinkie365 • 16h Obligatory not a teacher, but I'm an admin at a music school. I had a mom frantically call me and let me know her daughter would probably be late or miss their guitar lesson in a couple hours cuz she couldn't find the kid. I was just kind of like "uhhhhhhh okay...well I will let her teacher know". Got another call about an hour later from the same mom. She found her kid, but apparently the daughter went to a friend's house and decided to dye her hair green??? They lived pr

24.

Text - jogfx • 14h Not teacher, but pupil. I was in a car crash on my way to school. About 5 cars involved because some jerk decided to overtake us since we slowed down coming to a turn. So a trip to the hospital to get checked, and then school 3 hours late. I had small cuts all over my face from glass flying everywhere and had a really shoulder, but my teachers wouldn't believe me until police showed up because they forgot to get a statement from me. Apparently some of the other involved people

25.

Text - AlienCowAbduction • 16h Student here, I headed into school early to get some studying done in the library before my night class. I was one exit away when I was caught in a 3 car accident. Most of the expressway afterwards was gridlock with only one lane left open. I did eventually make it into my lab class 15 minutes late, with a few scrapes and bruises. My professors reaction was simply "Oh that was you!"

26.

Text - Vladtehwood • 16h Bear on the backyard. No access gate. Animal control had to trang it from the room and drag it through the house. Made the news. Got to retake the test I missed after sending her the news article.

27.

Text - seanmashitoshi • 17h Not a teacher but a friend said his house blew away. Apparently... tornado.

28.

Text - falafel • 17h I had a teacher who showed up about halfway through the class. Apparently her car had slid (intense snowstorm the night before) and she had walked the last mile or so.

29.

Text - lizardgal10 • 17h Flock of wild turkeys in the road. Not always school, but this happened more than once in my life. For those of you who have never found yourselves in this situation: there is no way out of it. Wild turkeys will move when they damn well decide to do so, and only then.

30.

Text - arcant12 • 18h A kid's apartment burned down overnight. He was a little late, but still came.

31.

Text - lotusblossom60 • 16h My best story ever! I taught in a hard core inner city school. My student comes in at 10:30. I was like, dude, where were you. Oh, my bus was late. Yah, no. Why would your bus be three hours late. Well Miss, there was a drive by shooting. OMG are you okay? Someone shot at the bus? No ma'am, a kid shot a gun out of the bus. We got pulled over. The cops had to search everyone. The kid with the gun was literally the last kid to be searched. True story, you can't make thi

32.

Text - BobosBigSister • 16h A kid missed my first period class one morning, but was in school later that day. When I asked him why he hadn't arrived in time for my course, he said his cow was birthing its calf that morning, so he'd picked being in the barn over English. Made sense to me. His essays weren't going to win any ribbons at the county fair, but his calf could.

33.

Text - breadedbread2 • 17h Not a teacher, but I was hit by a car on my bike to uni and my prof was more than understanding as to why I was late

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment