Thursday, July 16, 2020

Twitter Thread: Sexism In The Workplace


This Twitter thread highlights the invisible advantage experienced by some men in various workplaces, while working alongside women. This man's experience with accidentally signing off on emails as his female coworker, Nicole, ended up resulting in multiple clients making him jump through more unnecessary hoops just because they thought he was a woman. So dumb. 

1.

Face - Why is it only women who see sexism everywhere? Martin R. Schneider @Schneid.. 2d v Nicole and I worked for a small employment service firm and one complaint always came from our boss: She took too long to work with clients.

2.

Text - Martin R. Schneider @Schneid. 2d v As her supervisor, I considered this a minor nuisance at best. I figured the reason I got things done faster was from having more experience 17 313 1,147 Martin R. Schneider @Schneid.. 2d v So one day l'm emailing a client back- and-forth about his resume and he is just being IMPOSSIBLE. Rude, dismissive, ignoring my questions. 6 4 17 380 V 1,190

3.

Text - Martin R. Schneider @Schneid. 2d v Telling me his methods were the industry standards (they weren't) and I couldn't understand the terms he used (I could). 23 301 V 1,139 Martin R. Schneider @Schneid.. 2d v Anyway I was getting sick of his shit when I noticed something. Thanks to our shared inbox, l'd been signing all communications as "Nicole"

4.

Text - Martin R. Schneider @Schneid.. 2d v It was Nicole he was being rude to, not me. So out of curiosity I said "Hey this is Martin, I'm taking over this project for Nicole." 43 448 V1,468 Martin R. Schneider @Schneid... 2d IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT. Positive reception, thanking me for suggestions, responds promptly, saying "great questions!" Became a model client.

5.

Text - Martin R. Schneider @Schneid... 2d v Note: My technique and advice never changed. The only difference was that I had a man's name now. Martin R. Schneider @Schneid.. 2d v We did an experiment: For two weeks we switched names. I signed all client emails as Nicole. She signed as me. Folks. It fucking sucked. 6150 7 5,404 9,353

6.

Text - Martin R. Schneider @Schneid. 2d v I was in hell. Everything I asked or suggested was questioned. Clients I could do in my sleep were condescending. One asked if I was single. 613 2 1,032 3,432 Martin R. Schneider @Schneid. - 2d v Nicole had the most productive week of her career. I realized the reason she took longer is bc she had to convince clients to respect her. 615 47 1,189 4,666

7.

Text - Martin R. Schneider @Schneid. 2d v By the time she could get clients to accept that she knew what she was doing, I could get halfway through another client. 6 5 구 525 2.296 Martin R. Schneider @Schneid. 2d v I wasn't any better at the job than she was, I just had this invisible advantage. 6 16 산 783 3,144

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment