Sunday, July 19, 2020

Passive Aggressive Bridezilla Complains About Friends' Gifts


This spicy bridezilla went and laid the passive aggressiveness on thick when it came to calling her friends out over some of them not bringing gift cards and/or gifts. The folks in the comments section would appear to be in agreement over the fact that she was just a bit out of line with this frame of thinking. 

1.

Text - r/AmltheAsshole + JOIN u/makeupandjustice • 23h AITA for calling friends out for not bringing a card or gift to my post- elopement wedding reception? Asshole Amidst significant family drama, my husband and I decided to elope and then host a 35 person garden-party wedding reception at our home. The reception was on the same date as our original wedding had been planned and tbh it cost just as

2.

Text - much as a small wedding reception (approx 7k), had great food, black-tie servers/bartenders and an open bar. We noticed, though, that the majority of our guests did not bring a gift or card. Particularly, a few of my lifelong friends did not bring a gift or card. I get that it's technically a guest's discretion to bring a gift or not but come on! So I mentioned it I passing a few times that only one item was purchased off our registry and our card box was virtually empty. I also thanked "

3.

Text - equivalent of $200/pp on the party). AITA for thinking ppl should bring a wedding gift to our wedding reception? Edit: wow, apparently the internet feels very strongly about this lol. I guess IATA. Just to clarify a couple of things: our invitations were very clear it was a wedding reception. People did not know at the time we had eloped. Lots of you asked what the family drama was and suggested I was to blame for it. There was drama on both mine and my husband's side actually. My husband

4.

Text - little_honey_beee • 23h • Partassipant [2] Typically when you elope, you don't get gifts. And mentioning it in your toast is tacky. YTA on this one. "So I mentioned it I passing a few times that only one item was purchased off our registry and our card box was virtually empty.' I just saw this sentence. Yes, you are definitely TA for that. If I had a gift for you, like a check or something, and I heard you mentioning this, I would have kept the gift myself. You're not entitled to a presen

5.

Text - -Ranger • 23h •Certified Proctologist [24] 1 Award YTA You eloped; there was no wedding reception. A wedding reception happens right after the wedding. You threw a fancy party well after the wedding and are calling it a "wedding reception". I suspect this is why people didn't bring gifts. You pointing it out as if people are obligating to bring you a party gift is what makes you TA. Seems you want the benefits of eloping along with the benefits of having an actual wedding. It generally do

6.

Text - 0000udeis000 • 23h • Partassipant [2] YTA for a couple of reasons. First, gifts may be social etiquette, but they're never mandatory. Calling people out for not bringing you gifts is incredibly tacky. Second, many people send gifts later - maybe stuff was in the mail? How much notice did you give people about this party? Third, how much you chose to spend on your wedding was entirely up to you, and is not relevant. Fourth - you eloped. You didn't invite anyone to share your marriage cerem

7.

Text - BeelnTheHiveMind • 23h • Partassipant [1] YTA You are entitled. I literally just got married saturday and the idea that people "have" to give gifts is absurd. You chose to elope which obviously means you wanted a private wedding. It is not the fault of your guests that you spent 200pp at a garden party to re-celebrate your wedding To then insult your guests in your speech by saying "The few that gave" is so absurdly narcissistic and childish there are no words. You come off as insanely br

8.

Text - -Unnamed- • 23h YTA You eloped because you wanted to avoid drama. Then you hosted a party and created a bunch of drama. I honestly think half the reason for a gift is being a guest at a fancy and significant event for free. You just want gifts

9.

Text - LowCalPal • 23h • Asshole Enthusiast [4] YTA. If you want wedding gifts, you hold a wedding. There's no social expectation of gifts at an elopement party.

10.

Text - 69schrutebucks • 23h YTA. You never should have said that. That's something you bitch about to your husband once everyone leaves and then never mention it again. You don't know what their circumstances are and you may have shamed someone who couldn't spend their last 20 bucks on a gift for you and chose to put gas in their car instead. What you did was tacky and rude and you made yourself look spoiled and ungrateful.

11.

Text - Meriland31 • 23h YTA 35 people is not a lot, especially if some were families (since you usually only receive 1gift per family). I think you are being ungrateful for what you did get and lost sight of what a reception is all about. Don't put money into a reception with the expectation that your guests will reimburse you, put money into a reception to TREAT your friends and family, and share a lifelong memory...be grateful for their presence, not their presents.

12.

Text - SnausageFest • 23h • AssGuardian of the Hole Galaxy YTA. Gifts are typically not expected for reception-only guests. We got hitched in a similar fashion and I was honestly blown away that most people brought gifts - I was expecting only family members from our parents generation to give anything, if anyone. Even at a traditional wedding, it's tacky and uncomfortable to call them out. At a minimum, it makes it sound like you invited them for the main reason of recouping costs.

13.

Text - SnausageFest • 23h • AssGuardian of the Hole Galaxy YTA. Gifts are typically not expected for reception-only guests. We got hitched in a similar fashion and I was honestly blown away that most people brought gifts - I was expecting only family members from our parents generation to give anything, if anyone. Even at a traditional wedding, it's tacky and uncomfortable to call them out. At a minimum, it makes it sound like you invited them for the main reason of recouping costs.

14.

Text - estrogeneyecandy • 23h • Asshole Aficionado [17] YTA - you sound incredibly entitled. Your friends and loved ones came to celebrate your marriage, why do you need anything more than that? Eve more important - why do you feel the need to shame your friends so publicly, in your wedding toast of all things?

15.

Text - Expatia • 19h YTA. You mentioned it in your toast? If I had been one of the people that had brought a gift I would have taken it back and would reconsider being friends with someone so rude. Bitch about it in private; shaming your guests is not cool.

16.

Text - wigglebuttbiscuits • 23h • Certified Proctologist [34] YTA. Are you out of your mind? Of course you shouldn't have whined about not getting enough presents. I guarantee that every single one of the 35 people who made that toast was judging the hell out of you and you'll be getting even less presents next time you throw yourself a party.

17.

Text - NoMoreToBeDone • 22h YTA. If I was at this party and heard what you said, I wouldn't be hanging out with you anymore. I don't like people who feel they are entitled to a gift just because they did something many people do, like get married.

18.

Text - nickfolesknee • 22h YTA. My husband and I were also married in a tiny little ceremony, with about 20 people in attendance. We never asked for gifts and were humbled by the generosity of the people who did bring us gifts. I was actually embarrassed and felt so overwhelmed as we went through our cards and bags that people brought, because I felt like we didn't deserve it since we didn't have a real wedding. If we hadn't received any gifts, I wouldn't have complained, because gifts are welco

19.

Text - chrissyruiz33 • 22h YTA, just because you decided to get married ( eloped or not) does not mean everyone you know is obligated to pay for your wedding/ reception. In my opinion this is the worst wedding tradition. When I got married I never thought “ everyone needs to get me a gift or card".. I didn't even have a shower or registry because my husband and I were already living together for a few year so I would not now expect people to buy me gifts. Maybe it is just me but I find the thoug

20.

Text - Thelonius16 • 21h YTA. Anyone who “calls out" their friends for something like this is an asshole. You also generally have a year after the wedding to send presents. Of course, you just had a party, not a wedding, so who knows what people are supposed to do.

21.

Text - Amraff • 23h • Asshole Enthusiast [6] YTA You chose to spend that much on the party so your cant complain about the costs. Its incredibly tacky to make a big deal about someone not getting you a gift and exceedingly entitled. It sounds like you started planning a wedding and changed the plan halfway, so your friends likely didnt see your "post-elopement garden party" as a wedding, but as a simple regular everyday party. Unless you specifically outlined the details of the party, how was an

22.

Text - Elegant-Rectum • 22h • Partassipant [1] YTA - Only because of going on the mic and being passive aggressive about it. It's just awkward and rude to do that. The people probably didn't do what they did with ill intent, but you acted like they did. They probably didn't know they were expected to bring a gift. I wouldn't know what the protocol was for a wedding reception of a wedding that I didn't even attend. People are confused when you elope and then have a reception. This is an unusual t

23.

Text - latche • 19h • Partassipant [1] YTA. I got married last fall and many people didn't get us a card or a gift. You're not the asshole for THINKING people should bring a gift, but you are the asshole for expecting it and publicly calling people out. A gift is optional. The wedding is a party you're throwing and there is no price of admission. I get being privately a little annoyed-I certainly was-but to call people out is a dick move.

24.

Text - Anti-Anti-Paladin • 19h YTA. Congrats OP: now whenever people talk about your reception, it will be all about how you whined about not getting enough gifts.

25.

Text - ladyofthelathe • 20h YTA. If you can afford a black tie catering service, an open bar, at the tune of 200.00 per person x 35 ($7grand), why are you kvetching about not getting a few more 100.00 bills and some Hallmark cards or, if you mean gift cards, cards for Best Buy or whatever? Can't you just be happy they were there to celebrate such a glorious day with you, without the drama you were attempting to escape? So now you want to start more drama?

26.

Text - thehippos8me • 19h YTA. That is so entirely tacky. My husband and I eloped and plan on doing a backyard celebration back home since we live across the country from most of our family and friends. We don't expect gifts because all we want is for people to celebrate with us. That's what a wedding reception is for, anyways. How do you even think it's okay to call people out for that? Is this even a real question? If I were one of the guests in question, l'd surely be glad I didn't bring a gi

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment