Monday, May 18, 2020

Classmates Steal Student's Work, Student Sets Them Up To Fail


Those classmates should've just done the right thing from the get go, and not gone about stealing someone else's work. Seems like the stresses of the academic world can drive some people to do some truly selfish, and insensitive things. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/Mikerue7 • 2d Half the Class Fails the Midterm after Cheaters Copy Me TL;DR at the end I don't have a problem helping classmates. I really don't. I even tutored several classmates during my final semester of undergrad because they needed the help. They all ended up passing their classes with my assistance.

2.

Text - This story comes from a particularly tough Business Information Systems class during my undergraduate education. The students in this class were mostly nontechnical business majors, so this new material wasn't at all similar to anything we'd learned in other classes. Needless to say, most of the students were struggling, including me. I sill had a 4.0 in college at this point (though I finished with a 3.99) and I was willing to put in max effort to keep my stellar GPA. I started studying

3.

Text - Several other students from my class were there and working on the same assignment I was on. Judging by the sighs of exasperation, the irritated whispers, and requests for help, they weren't having much success. Having studied relentlessly for a month, I was having an easier time of it. As I got up to go get some water from the fountain in the hall, a classmate asked for my help. I told him I could do that and l'd be right back. I returned a few minutes later to find what I can only descr

4.

Text - Now, I'm not an idiot, so I know the 5 people in this room probably copied my work off my computer when I went to get water. Scumbag move number one. But as it turns out, no one in the class needed help the next day or the day after. Whoever in the study room had stolen my work had forwarded it to most of the class. Scumbag move number two. I don't mind being helpful, but hate being used, so I made a plan to get back at the people who had stolen my work. It didn't take long to organize my

5.

Text - 1. I changed an answer on the next assignment by multiplying by -1. $1,500 became -$1,500 on this question 2. The next week, I left my computer in the same place as before and went to get water, just like I had done the week before. 75% of the people in my class of 40 people put -$1,500 as the answer to question 3, which was definitely incorrect.

6.

Text - 3.I began studying relentlessly for the midterm. Our professor had said he wouldn't adjust the weight of the test (something like YourScore/50 on a test with 60 points available so your score of 40 becomes 80% instead of 67%) if anyone scored particularly well. This class was difficult, and no one was expecting anyone to score over 75%, so all my classmates figured the weight of the test would be adjusted. My plan was to "wreck the curve" (even though it's not a curve) and deny everyone t

7.

Text - Here's how it all played out: No one who copied me realized the answer was incorrect. Every last one of those idiots submitted the wrong answer the question 3. This next part surprised me, but my classmates began insisting the class was unfair, too difficult, or rigged and launched these complaints at our professor. One day after class I had the following exchange since I was the last student out of the classroom:

8.

Text - Professor: OP, do you think this class is to hard? Me: Honestly, this class is hard, but if people spent as much time studying as they did complaining, they'd be fine. They really need to just get to work Professor: I thought the same Me: (deciding spur of the moment my next move) I also happen to know that most of the class incorrectly copied my work on the last assignment. Question 3 should be a net income of $1,500, not a net loss of

9.

Text - $1,500. I put down the wrong answer initially, everyone copied me, and then I changed the answer later. I think you can reasonably conclude that anyone with -$1,500 as the answer cheated off of my incorrect work Professor: I figured they all copied, but I didn't know you were the source. Anyway, thanks for your candor and your dedication to the class I didn't cheat, so I don't know what happenedto those who did, but depending on the class, they would either get a 0 for the assignment or a

10.

Text - Fast forward to test day, and I'm ready to go. I know since most of the students are business majors, they need 70% to pass the class because it's a required course. Hurting them on the midterm will go a long way in helping drop their grades. I take the test, I'm the first one done, and I leave pretty sure l've done enough to deny the class the exam weight adjustment A week later, we get our exams back. Tests are distributed all around me with scores on the top in red ink. 68, 71, 70, 66,

11.

Text - 93%. I've won Some idiot in the front of the class: So is there going to be a curve? Professor: Nope! Me: What was the high score?

12.

Text - Professor: 93%! Average score for the exam was 71, so a good number of people didn't get a "passing" score. Maybe they made up for it on the final and passed, but I don't care. I got mine TL;DR: People steal my homework so I bait them into giving a wrong answer, tip the professor off on their cheating, and score high enough on the midterm to deny anyone a chance for an adjusted score.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment