Friday, February 12, 2021

Tumblr Thread: Old Habits Follow Us Everywhere


This entertaining Tumblr post brings people together to bond over the strange brain farts that can occur as a result of such intense mental conditioning from jobs. If you've ever muddled through a gig in the service industry you're probably very familiar with how deeply rooted those different mandatory, totally manufactured, social niceties can be. The infamous to-go order instances as an example. 

1.

Font - 1 debrides I worked with toddlers and pre schoolers for three years. Sometimes I accidentally slip and tell a friend to say bye to an inanimate object ("say bye bus!") & occasionally they unthinkingly just do it. autisticcole I'm glad there's a teacher version of "accidentally called teacher 'mom" hermionegranger when I worked at Medieval Times occasionally I would slip in real life and call people “my lord"

2.

Font - mugsandpugs1 One time during family prayer, dad began: "our father who art in heaven, American Airlines, how can I help you?" thomrainierskies One time my dad went to the White Castle drive-thru and the lady (who was supposed to say 'Welcome to White Castle, what's your crave?') asked, "Welcome to White Castle, what's your problem?" She apologized profusely while my dad laughing. proceeded to lose his mirab3lle Yesterday I went to Wendy's and the girl said "Welcome to McDonalds" and then

3.

Font - icouldwritebooks Somebody in the elevator asked me what floor I lived on, and I answered “please open your books to page eight", and we just kind of stared at each other, blinking. A commanderfraya i work retail full time and my script gets frequently messy - ill ask the same question twice, or say "$2.60 is your total" while handing back their change, or say “how are you doing today?" instead of "have a good day!" like name it ive bungled it but anyway, this lady came thru my line buying

4.

Font - as i handed her the bag i was trying to say "thanks, youre all set" and instead my brain mashed up the review and i said "thanks, youre important" there was this short pause in which i tried id just said. she to figure out what the blinked and then said "oh thank you! youre important too!" the real kicker was one of my coworkers. when i was relating this story later his response was "at least you said something NICE. last week i accidentally combined 'youre welcome' and 'no problem' into

5.

Font - agrestenoir one time, since I used to work as a daycare teacher with preschoolers, i was on my college campus in my gym, and someone was running in the weight room and tripped over a machine and fell, and instead of offering to help, I just stared and said, "This is why we use our walking feet." we both sat there for a while until the guy nodded and said, “yeah, okay, i should've done that."

6.

Font - gin-and-eschatonic I've spent a good chunk of time working in kitchens, so I still will reflexively say "behind" and "coming around" as I maneuver like through spaces and around people. Which, actually, not such a bad thing; I'm a big guy and can come across as imposing pretty easily. The position calls can help defuse that, and also help avoid collisions.

7.

Font - Less good is the time my brain was half functional and I let slip a "coming with a knife" while grocery shopping. THAT took some explaining. starlightandcrimescenes I work in an office and send tens of emails to customers every day. Once my mum asked me to send her a train ticket I had bought for her. I emailed her “Hello mum, as agreed, please find attached the ticked you requested. Thanks, Alex"

8.

Font - narwhalsarefalling i worked as a camp counselor, and i would have the kids tap somewhere on my legs if they needed something because im a pretty tall dude. today asked my cat if he needed something. sugar4ndroses I have woken up in a cold sweat saying "is that for here or to go?"

9.

Font - TA aria-lerendeair Things I have done thanks to a decade in retail (and more than 5 years answering phones): dialed '9' before typing the rest of the number Answered the phone with my usual work greeting Been accused of using my "phone voice" with relatives (something I am accused of to this day) Perfected the art of sounding endlessly, joyously happy on the phone, no matter my actual mood Mastery of the mother mute button

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment