Friday, February 12, 2021

Entitled Neighbors Treat Man Like Free Handyman, Man Puts Neighbors In Check


The audacity of these neighbors and that one woman at the end of this guy's gnarly story is mind blowing. What kind of human beings go to such disgusting lengths to completely invade a hard working guy's space, to trouble him with requests about fixing their houses for free. It sounds like there was never any talk about actually compensating the poor guy for his help. Instead they adopted insane levels of entitlement. The moral judges of Reddit's AITA community were in collective agreement that this guy did nothing wrong when he reality checked them. 

1.

Font - AITA for cursing out a neighbor and refusing to be the neighborhood handyman? Not the A-hole I quite recently, a few months ago to be exact, moved in to a house in the suburbs of a large town. Pretty much from the second I started moving in a load of people started introducing themselves, I just figured this was great as it seemed neighborly as out that my neighborhood is pretty much 50% well off single moms, 40% elderly people and the remaining 10% are families. Being a solo guy in my la

2.

Font - When I was finally moved in properly it only took a few days before a neighbor came over to ask me if I knew anything about toilets, apparantly it wasn't flushing and she had no idea how to fix it and with covid didn't want to call someone to fix it, I went over, fixed it and that was that. The very next day an elderly neighbor a few houses over came over to me while I was taking the trash out asking me if I could saw some beanches of off a tree of hers, I had the time so I figured why no

3.

Font - What set this post off is what happened last week, I work as a chef so I generally work late afternoons, evenings and sometimes into the night, this means my sleeping schedule is a bit messy. Before you ask, yes I still got my job, most of it is just delivery orders and pickups now though. In this particular case I couldn't sleep when I got home at around 2 AM, I watched some TV and ended up falling asleep on the couch right next to my front window. I was woken up by this lady ramming on

4.

Rectangle - idrow1 • 22h • Professor Emeritass [86] 2 Awards Jeez, NTA - And these people are out of the damned minds. I'm picturing Rod Serling doing an intro of an episode saying, "Welcome to Entitlement, a picturesque town that looks like Anytown, USA, but lurking just under the surface lies monsters with a disguise so convincing you'll never know you were trapped until it's too late. Monsters who take their children to soccer practice and bake pies for their grandchildren. It's a town whose

5.

Font - RenaeLH • 19h NTA. Go bang on her door at 2 am and tell her you're ready to fix her sink and complain loudly that she's lazy for sleeping at 2 am! My husband and I keep late hours at times and people would make snide comments about us sleeping until 10 am. Finally I told them the next time I had to stay up until midnight for a work conference call I would make sure to include them. They shut up. G Reply 1 160 3 ...

6.

Font - SurgRN4theWin • 21h · Colo-rectal Surgeon [37] Wow, so no-one ever returned the favor or showed their appreciation in any way (cookies, you get home from work and your yard is mowed, a potted plant)? What kind of crazy place is that? You were taken advantage of and then that crazy lady got what she deserved, imho. If you're getting dirty looks, sounds like the window peeper is mouthing off around the neighborhood. Fine. If anyone asks, explain, but otherwise, enjoy the peace and quiet. NT

7.

Font - NTA and I guess you know now why the price of the house was so amazing. Reply 260 ...

8.

Font - NTA but next time someone speaks to you about this inform then that its extremely rude to bang on someone's window because you feel entitled to their time and labor for free. I doubt that they know they whole story. G Reply 899 ...

9.

Font - Hahaha omg. She got what she deserved! NTA baby. You get your sleep and set the standard for them fixing their problems on their own like all adults should. G Reply 69 ...

10.

Font - NTA. Tell them that people are going to treat you like an on-call handyman instead of recognizing that this being a good neighbor thing goes both ways and that sometimes you're not available or just need to say "no," you're going to start charging for your services. And even then, there's no amount of money you're willing to accept if people think it entitles them to yell at you. G Reply 1 29 ...

11.

Smile - NTA I don't know how to even analyze this. This is such bizarre behavior, I literally don't even know where to start. Whatever society these people are from, it's clearly not one l'm aware of. G Reply 33 ...

12.

Smile - NTA - tell the others exactly what happened. You have a right to sleep and a right not to have someone chastise you on your own front door step and demand that you do work for her when you don't even know her. G Reply 25 3 ...

13.

Smile - NTA- That was completely disrespectful of her to do. Coming to your house and demanding you fix her sink? Who does she think she is? Serves her right. G Reply 4 15 ...

14.

Smile - NTA, it's crazy how people can think they're so entitled to literal harassment. Overly involved neighbours initially come across as friendly, but soon you realise it might be nice for people to mind their business. Reply ...

15.

Smile - NTA - also no need to explain why you slept late. You're a grown up in your own home. Sleep whenever you damn well please in your home even if you haven't been up late. You don't owe these people an explanation. A G Reply ...

16.

Font - draco0562 · 16h NTA. No good deed goes unpunished. G Reply ...

17.

Font - just_n_observer • 16h NTA. You need to set boundaries (although your comments to the woman about her sink may have established some). You intended to be neighborly but now everyone wants to have you provide free handyman services. If you care, you can explain to anyone complaining how you were treated by the angry woman but it seems all your previous nice deeds are already forgotten. G Reply 2 3 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment