Thursday, January 28, 2021

Craziest Excuses From Students That Ended Up Being True


Sometimes the truth is indeed stranger than fiction. This AskReddit thread pays homage to the absolute wildest excuses that ever came across teachers' desks from students. If anything it's threads like this that can once again awaken us to the reality that we never really know what's boiling underneath the surface of someone's otherwise, seemingly pleasant life. Whole lot of crazy stuff going on in this world. 

1.

Font - SnooPickles3213 • 10h I taught a non-credit ESL class for adults. I had a very polite young man from an African country in my class who would sometimes be absent for 2-3 days in a row. It wasn't a huge deal because our class only had one pretty basic exam at the end of the course. When I asked him why he had missed class (out of concern– sometimes I had students with major family problems or illnesses or whatever), he would just say vaguely, "I had to go out of town." One night I went to

2.

Font - plaid-lemming • 11h College professor:Student was late for an exam, emails me: "look out the window, I just got in a motorcycle accident" I look out, and sure enough, he's out in the parking lot where he crashed into a car. He deals with campus security or whatever, walks in half way through the exam, tosses some piece of the bike on the desk "as proof of what happened", sits down and aces the exam with time to spare. Reply 1 1.1k 3 ...

3.

Font - kajigleta · 11h Showed up late to a college final because his neighbor's apartment was on fire. He smelled like fire smoke so I gave him an extension on the time limit. Q Reply 1 143 •..

4.

Font - FlatMarzipan • 13h Once a fellow student came In with a chewed up jotter and said my dog ate my homework Reply 1 65 3 AsthmaticStOn3r • 6h When I was younger I had a book assigned for class. We had just gotten a puppy and somehow the little rascal took my book of my bed and chewed it to absolute bits. It was funny to tell the teacher that my dog ate my homework, and I had the chewed up bits as proof as well haha. 4 10 ...

5.

Font - Thechaser45 • 17h My wife had a student that left her class about 15 minutes into class every day. After about a week of this she asked him what's up. He looked her dead in the eye and said if he eats breakfast in the morning he will need to crap at that time everyday. She asked the hall monitor to check up on him and sure enough, he went to the bathroom everyday like clockwork. Reply 691 3 ...

6.

Font - skysurf51 · 10h A guy I knew in high school missed class because he had to help a cow give birth. Lived in a farm. Reply 56 ...

7.

Font - whylmcalledqueen • 14h 3 1 Award Not a teacher, but someone in one of my classes my junior year got to retake his exam because him and his dad got stranded when the dad was giving his son a helicopter flying lesson and they had to emergency land or something. The student was prone to skipping classes so they didn't believe him until he called up his dad in the office, it was talked about by our school for a couple days. Reply 733 5 ...

8.

Font - TrayusV • 10h I once walked up to a teacher after being late, handed her my note, and told her that my buddy got hit by a car. He was fine, literally no injuries beyond a little bruising. + QReply 4 27 3 ...

9.

Font - DiabolicalPopkov • 12h They told me they couldn't study for a test because some rapper had broken into their house the night before and robbed them and they were too traumatized to study. I did not believe them but then the rapper got arrested for burglary and the local newspaper ran a story on it and it was actually a true story. I unfortunately cannot remember the name of the rapper he was not nationally famous but well known in our part of Baltimore. Reply 283 ...

10.

Font - TheGreatltlog • 7h That she has problem sending her project because the roof is too slippery for her. Background: Online education, students needs to submit a video project. Student only relies on mobile internet because only the rich affords affortable internet in the Philippines. So she climbs their house to get a good cellular signal. That time it was raining. She sent a picture as evidence. Made me rethink how my students could submit academic requirements. ) Reply 19 3 ...

11.

Organism - Mikey_Hawke • 9h In 4th grade, we had to make a model of a local historical fort. My teacher said that many years ago, a student made one out of food, and their dog ate it. They brought the bot bill as proof that "my dog ate my homework" was literally true. Reply 1 7 ...

12.

Smile - ilikegreencows • 10h "I cant come to class (virtual learning) because my grandma keeps having arguments with the ghosts in the walls." Its true. She actually screams at the walls regularly while he's on Zoom for class with me. Reply 93 ...

13.

Font - spagetty1988 · 9h I knew a kid once that had his whole (trailer) home get sucked into a sinkhole. All his school work (and everything he owned) was gone forever. Edit: apologies I'm not a teacher. It was a coworker when I was young Reply 27 ...

14.

Organism - Necron099 · 11h Student claimed book caught on fire. I just said, Sure it did. Next day he showed up with a copy of an insurance claim. Turns out he left his book by a space heater, the kind with heating elements, setting said book on fire as well as his homework. The pics of his rug, scorched, sealed the deal. Reply 185 ...

15.

Mammal - unidentifiedsubob · 11h "Pigs ate my homework." Mom sent me in pictures of the ripped up homework. Atudent came in crying saying "I wouldn't believe this if I were in your position but its true"

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment