Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Music Teacher Gets Mad At Deaf Student For Not Hearing, Embarrasses Herself


People just need to be understanding. But alas, sometimes you cross paths with those folks that are the complete opposite. At least this music teacher was humbled when it was all said and done. 

1.

Text - r/MaliciousCompliance + Join u/NotDaggier • 1y 4 3 1 Music teacher gets mad at me for not being able to hear her (Im deaf) L Hi, my first post on Reddit, so please excuse any formatting mistakes/any other mistakes. Obligatory statement that l'm on mobile yada yada yada TL:DR at the bottom for you lazy cows /s So this happened a couple years ago when I was fresh at high school, in year 7 (I was in the grade for 11 year olds for international peeps). One important thing to note with me is t

2.

Text - Most of the teachers were pretty understanding about this and would often go out of their way to make sure that I could clearly hear what they were saying (such as seating me towards the front of the class, and standing directly in front of me when addressing the whole class). Except for one teacher who was a hardass about it. She also happened to be a music teacher, she will be known as Ms O. Also this is probably the worst combo because music is also my weakest subject (for obvious reas

3.

Text - My and my form (we're a pretentious school and like to call the class that we register and go to lessons with our 'form'), are off to our music lesson, and this happens to be a double period (yes we're pretentious and period means lesson) which is about 1 hour and 30 minutes long. Anyway so we start the lesson, and pretty much 2 minutes after we sit down, the batteries in my CI had run flat (remember how I told you earlier that they go flat every 2 days), and so I needed to change them. H

4.

Text - So Ms L basically asks the whole class to go on the computers, listen to an audio file she'd sent us via email, and then use that as inspiration to digitally create our own piece of music. She also wanted us to show it to the class at the end of the lesson. Now because I didn't want to get into trouble, I raise my hand again to try and ask if I can get the batteries from my bag, but she ignores me again. So l'm like _(9LI don't even like music anyway so no big deal. As a result, I pretty

5.

Text - After 5 minutes, I get bored and I decide to start talking to my friends (did I mention I can lip read?) And basically let them in on the joke, and we're all trying our hardest to not laugh too hard. Pretty soon, word gets around the class and now they can't wait until the end of the lesson to see what Ms L is going to do. End of the lesson rolls around, and when it's my turn to play my piece of music, and I pretty much sit in silence, and the whole class starts laughing but trying to sti

6.

Text - Ms L: Honestly, just play your piece of music, it's not that hard. Me: trying to stifle my laughter at this point I can't... Ms L: cuts me off This is how your treat your teachers???? Get out of the class right now! So I get out and pretty much wait there until the lesson is over, I think she was expecting an apology from me (which was never going to happen) because after a couple minutes she pops her head out of the door and barks at me: "YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO RESPECT FOR YOUR TEACHERS,

7.

Text - At lunchtime, I meet her at the principal's office like she said. Another important thing, is that I'm pretty friendly with the headmaster. She opens the door and the conversation is as follows: Ms L: this guy was giving me an attitude during my lesson and wouldn't listen to me. I would give him a Friday after school detention but I feel that he deserves to get a Saturday detention. Headmaster: turns to me what happened? Me: well my batteries for my CI died and I raised my hand to ask if

8.

Text - Me: Sir, you know that l'm deaf and that I would never on purposely do that to a teacher. Headmaster; We'll I'm inclined to believe the student here, if you have no proof otherwise, there is nothing to discuss. Ms L then goes extremely red as she realises her mistake and storms out of the office The headmaster gave me a slight smile before ushering me out of the office as well Ever since then, she's never ignored me whenever l've had my hand up :) I know it was extremely Thanks for readin

9.

Text - TL:DR I'm deaf and need cochlear implants (CI) to hear, batteries in my Cl go flat, and music teacher gets mad at me cuz I didn't do any work cuz I couldn't do/hear anything. Proceeds to embarrass herself in front of the headmaster Edit: wow I didn't realise l'd get this much of a response, thank you so much for the gold and silver and also the general response has been largely positive Edit: stupid spelling mistake in my original edit Edit: spelling mistakes 21.0k 700 1 Share

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment