Monday, November 2, 2020

Grandma Won't Learn Grandson's Name So He Mispronounces Hers


The concept of respecting your elders sort of goes out the window when they go out of their way to deliberately disrespect you. This person's grandma took no effort to learn a name, and refused to get it right out of spite. It seems like the only natural conclusion would be to give her some of her own medicine. For a different direction of a grandma story, here's a cringey guy who tried to correct a Japanese grandma on her own pronunciation of Japanese.

1.

Text - r/AmItheAsshole - Posted by u/notmyname2020_ 1 day ago 83 A 17 O 10 11 5 3 12 12 26 3 12 AITA for calling my grandma by wrong name until she gets my name right? Not the A-hole This has going on since forever so decided to do something. I'm (16m) half Mexican from my dad's side and my mom's side is Scottish. Ngl most of my mom's family is high key racist and is been problems sometimes growing up. My grandma on my mom's side never liked my dad and was happy after they divorced when I was 7.

2.

Text - My names Emiliano and my grandma always complained how hard she tried to change my parents minds and it's a shame I got stuck with it. I'm actually proud of it. My dad told me about the revolutionary I was named after and their history. But literally my entire life my grandma refuses to say it. She says it's "too many syllables" (i got a cousin named Alexandria and they say the whole name) and always came up with her own names. She says Leo or once tried to get everyone to call me "Elliot

3.

Text - Is always the same thing when I see them. She'll call me Leo or whatever. Even when I correct her she says it's not a big deal an keeps calling wrong name. I told my mom I don't like it but she always say I'm just not gonna change her mind and no point in fighting it. So I decided if she not gonna wanna call me by my actual name in not gonna call her grandma or say her right name. Is stupid I know but it's bothering me more that she don't care and all my other cousins she says their names

4.

Text - Tbh I was scared to say it but that look on her face was worth it Imao. It wasn't surprise Pikachu face but it was close. She said that is not how I address her and it's "grandma". I told her nah I'mma call her sandy from now until she says my actual name. It got awkward. My mom was serious and my gma got super red in the face. She started ranting about me being a fucking disrespectful child and this is all my dad influencing me again. My mom told me I need to apologize immediately but id

5.

Text - She say what I did was outta line and I don't disrespect my elders ever. She wants me to apologize and I'm grounded until I do. Haven't talked to my dad yet about this since it just happened but I wanted to ask if it was being an asshole or was it okay for this situation to "insult my grandmother" ?

6.

Text - lorelorelei Certified Proctologist [24] 28.0k points · 1 day ago & S 2 Adults and the elderly don't like it when they're given a dose of their own medicine. NTA Emiliano is not a difficult name to pronounce and your grandmother's not respecting you when she's always mispronouncing it, so why should you respect her? It's a two-way street, and you don't owe her respect just because she's your grandmother. Good on you for sticking up for yourself and calling attention to her BS.

7.

Text - Homer_04_13 Partassipant [4] 3.1k points · 1 day ago 2 NTA. She has had 16 years to learn your beautiful name and it's not that she can't. It's a choice. Sometimes your self-respect will seem an affront to others. That's their problem.

8.

Text - sygaila Partassipant [1] 1.6k points · 1 day ago NTA. So it's "disrespect to the elderly" when you call your grandmother by the wrong name once, but when she does the same thing to you for sixteen years it's totally fine. Sure. Also, if I have the pronunciation right, your name is not that hard to pronounce either...

9.

Text - Jay-Dee-British 13.3k points· 1 day ago edited 17 hours ago & 14 More Why not call her Abuela or Abuelita? Sort of malicious compliance-like? NTA btw but I get you don't want to upset your mum.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment