Saturday, October 17, 2020

Belligerent Customer Won't Cooperate With Tech Support


Sometimes you're having a conversation with a human being that you otherwise thought was perfectly rational, and not prone to fits of blind and entirely irrational rage, and then they pull a fast one on you. This particular customer opted for being a waking nightmare. Fortunately, the tech support employee who fielded the situation kept their cool, and it all worked out in the end. 

1.

Text - r/talesfromtechsupport + Join u/KrazeeLadee2 • 256d "I'm not restarting my modem! l'd sooner drive the full 175 miles to your HQ to punch you!" Long Soooooo among the literally thousands of calls I've had in my 4 years in tech support for an ISP, this guy really took the cake. It was the apotheosis of all those calls. It was the most infuriating yet (in hindsight) hilarious call I'd ever had in my life. He came in on a fairly quiet Saturday morning, and the conversation started quite norm

2.

Text - C (Customer): "Yes, hello, this is [his name]. I just woke up to my wife and kids complaining there's no internet and the television isn't working either." Me: "Oof, that's quite inconvenient. I'm going to have to check where the issue might be and try and fix it." C: "Thank you." He gave me his postal code and house number, I confirmed his details and ran a scan on his address. There was absolutely no signal. So I needed to do a basic troubleshoot with him, first. Me: "Do you know where

3.

Text - Me: "Is the 'online' light on?" C: "No." Me: "Ok, your modem is not receiving any signal, then. I'm going to have to test if the problem is in the modem or the signal towards your house. For that, I need you to turn off your modem for about 30 seconds. Could you please do that?" C: "Umm, no?" Me: I'm sorry?" II ..... .. C: "That sort of thing is YOUR job. I'm not touching that modem." Me: "You only need to pull out the power cable, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in." C: "Like I said, t

4.

Text - Text - I was not sure if he was joking or not. I was just baffled at the hard turn this conversation had just taken. Me: "Sir, there is a basic troubleshoot we need to run with all our customers that solves like 90% of all--" C: "I don't care! I'm not getting paid for this, so I'm not doing your job! Now send someone over!" Me: "I can't very well send our technicians over, just to restart your modem, sir." C: "You can, and you will, and you'll compensate me for the time I haven't received

5.

Text - Text - C: "[First name] what?" Me: "Just [first name], sir." C: "Scared to give me your last name, hm?" Me: "No, just not obligated to give it to you. You've been very rude to me, so I won't give it to you." C: "You think you're so high and mighty because you're on the phone! I know where your HQ is! I'm driving over there right now and you'd better make sure you have your eyes open when you come out, [my first name in a mocking tone]." I snickered at the thought. He lived about 280km (17

6.

Text - Text - Me: "If you would rather take 3 hours to get here and then another 3 to get back home, rather than taking 30 seconds to restart your modem, you're welcome to do so. I'm now terminating the call and issuing a threat warning. Have a lovely day." I hung up before he could respond, and reported a threat of violence to my manager. He made note of it and put it through to our 2nd line to pick this further up. I wish I could say the story ended there, but unfortunately, it continued as so

7.

Text - Text - I hung up again and he thankfully didn't try to reach me again after that. I did learn afterwards that he had, in fact, taken this case to court... and lost. His services were cancelled 5 months before the end date of the contract, and he had to pay up the remaining 5 months. I hope it was worth it to him. I did not press charges for the threat, since I never took it seriously. I mean, I literally laughed it off. Thinking back of it still makes me snicker. I'm imagining him driving

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment