Saturday, August 15, 2020

Woman Rejects Role Of Cool Aunt Cause It's Free Babysitting


This woman decided to ask the folks of Reddit's AITA community whether or not she was in the wrong for rejecting her role as a "cool aunt" because it basically amounted to her just doing a ton of free babysitting for her entitled sister. On top of that there seems to be a solid amount of toxic family drama at play in this situation. The collective opinion would seem to be one that the cool aunt is still cool without doing all the free babysitting for her sis. 

1.

Text - AITA for rejecting the role of "cool aunt" because it was really more like unpaid babysitter? Not the A-hole My sister and I have always been very different. Growing up, she was your stereotypical nerdy/geeky girl. Very into sci-fi/fantasy, video games, etc. She bonded a lot with my parents over it, because they are the same.

2.

Text - I always felt kind of "different" from the others because I'm not very "geeky" and while I did my best to fit in (Star Wars movies, Harry Potter, etc), I took my first opportunity to leave the area for school. I went to FIT and got a degree in fashion design. I always loved making my own clothes. To frame it one way... I made my prom dress from my own pattern, and my family smiled politely. My sister threw together a Harry Potter costume and the picture is hanging on the walls. Well, sis

3.

Text - Except the plans were like... I take the kids to the zoo, I take them to the park, I take them for ice cream, the aquarium, etc, so Sis can have some time to herself and relax, play video games, etc. I inquired about when she and I would spend time together, and she actually said "It's not like we have anything in common we can do together." I was really hurt by this, and declined her requests for me to basically babysit her kids. She asked me why, and didn't I want to be the Cool Aunt, a

4.

Text - She was shocked and went stomping to Mom and Dad, who immediately took her side and told me that I should be thankful to spend time with the kids. I said why, it's not like anyone in the family has ever made it a point to spend time with me doing something /l'd enjoy. She told me that if l'd tried harder to be more like there rest of them, instead of "chasing popularity and doing my nails" maybe I would have more in common with them. I'm lost now, because on the one hand, I don't think I

5.

Text - EDIT: I just wanted to chime in and say that Star Wars & Harry Potter aren't the only geeky/nerdy things they like, they were just the things that popped into my head. I remember back when we were in high school, my sister laughed in my face because I didn't enjoy the Sabriel books and she told me they were "too advanced" for me to understand. She found me reading the California Diaries (offshoot of Babysitters Club books) and laughed in my face again because they were "dumb books for vap

6.

Text - 5115E • 6d • Asshole Aficionado [19] NTA Your sister never had any interest in you before and now she wants to take advantage of you. She told me that if l'd tried harder to be more like there rest of them, The answer to your mom is that if she had tried harder to appreciate the differences between her daughters, there would probably have been a different outcome. Don't fight with these people. You're successful with like-minded people, leave them to their alternate universe. Reply 4.7k .

7.

Text - singinthebreeze • 6d NTA - I have kids and would much rather pay someone else to watch them while I spent time with my siblings than have my siblings watch them. She is obviously trying to use you in this situation. Also, just because you have different interests from them doesn't mean your interests are any less valid than theirs. You're allowed to love the things you love. I'm sorry your family has been so uncaring and selfish. By the way, you could always use malicious compliance and i

8.

Text - SeethingHeathen • 6d • Asshole Enthusiast [5] NTA Your family is ridiculous. Oh, you don't want to be a clone? Well, no love for you then. Reply 1.8k ...

9.

Text - marbal05 • 6d • Asshole Aficionado [11] NTA- and your family is pretty toxic. Also what your mom said is pretty manipulative. She's gonna blame you for her lack of being a decent parent? Yeah no. You don't owe anyone free babysitting. Especially the way your sister talked to you Reply 7.6k ...

10.

Text - SoSayWeAllx • 6d • Asshole Enthusiast [5] NTA if your sister wanted you to be the "cool aunt" she would've said, "I'd love for you and the kids to bond and spend time together" not "if love for you to take the kids so I don't have to have them". That's babysitting. And I bet she wouldn't have paid for the activities. Your parents play favorites, and gaslight you. Where does it say that to have a meaningful relationship with your child, they have to like what you like? When it's as easy as

11.

Text - MadronaPDX •6d NTA. My brother totally stopped even responding to my texts and calls inviting him to get coffee or lunch once he realized I like his kids and will hang with them as a "babysitter" when needed. Five solid years of only hearing from my brother when he needed a babysitter and him ducking out to sleep or play video games during family trips for the last decade if it looked at all like I could see his son made me realize he has no respect for me. Being the cool auntie IS super

12.

Text - ExactingRook2822 · 6d • Asshole Aficionado [16] 3 Awards NTA - Never the arsehole. Your sister is an entitled brat and your parents clearly play favourites. Just because you're into fashion doesn't mean you chase popularity, in the same way that being a geek doesn't stop you from being a brat who craves attention from mummy and daddy. You stood your ground and voiced your emotions about how you felt about how they treated you, and their response was "We didn't try and make an effort with

13.

Text - Karl_Pron • 6d NTA, with a suggestion: how about you offer to let the kids into your world, like talk with the niece (if there's one) about clothes and teach her clothes design or sewing? There's a lot of resentment towards you from the whole family. They can fuck off. Reply 249 ...

14.

Text - jhercules • 6d • Partassipant [2] NTA. Your sister does want an unpaid babysitter. My sister is the same way. She and your parents are gaslighting you into agreeing Reply 2.1k ...

15.

Text - fuckthetop • 6d • Asshole Enthusiast [9] NTA. It isn't your fault you aren't interested in the same things your family is and they shouldn't be rubbing that in your face. It's not like you intentionally put down their interests, you just express that it's not your thing. Your sister is absolutely wrong for expecting a free babysitter. Reply 199 ...

16.

Text - Kittytigris • 6d • Certified Proctologist [29] NTA. You spot the problem correctly. Probably best to go low to no contact for a while. Some family are just toxic. Reply 247 ...

17.

Text - HotspurJr • 6d • Pooperintendant [66] NTA In theory, you having a relationship with your nieces and nephews is a good thing. But that doesn't mean you should be taken advantage of. If your sister was really interested in having you develop a relationship with them, she'd start finding ways for you to all do stuff together to see how you fit, and if it works. And then if you WANTED to go do things with the kids, if you got value out of the experience of spending time with them, you might o

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment