Saturday, August 15, 2020

AskReddit Thread: Employees' Craziest First Days At Work


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about employees' most insane first days on the job. Sometimes we turn up bright eyed and with a heart full of excitement for that new gig, only to learn (too late) that we've walked into a flaming disaster. This is why it's real important to keep a wary eye out for those red flags when looking for a new job.

1.

Text - InannasPocket • 21h I was a temp at a property management company. Turned out that actually meant "handle the front desk immediately after a major fire caused by one tenant's gross negligence", and handle hordes of people super pissed off when their home is destroyed/uninhabitable or just blocked off because it turns out asbestos remediation is a thing after the building has been on fire. Tldr: Get renters insurance. It's cheap and makes a world of difference when your idiot neighbor ligh

2.

Text - mc_squared_03 • 20h Got into a car accident with my boss in the car. After everything was cleared up at the scene, I was sure he was going to tell me I was fired. Instead, he started laughing at how scared I looked and assured me that I had nothing to worry about.

3.

Text - fuzzypyrocat • 22h My first shift as a bartender. I was out of town before I started and told them as much. They still scheduled me for training during that week, so when I got back my first training shift was actually in place of my first REAL shift. "It shouldn't be too busy tonight" they said. It was supposed to be 3 bartenders and me as a trainee, but the others called out so it was just me and my trainer. And we got SLAMMED. It was so bad. And I didn't even get tipped out for it beca

4.

Text - jokekiller94 • 22h I walked into an interview for the Clinton campaign. The head of the office loved me and offered me a job on the sight. As I was walking out, one of our canvassers was freaking out. Saying how he worked one day he deserves his check already. One of the managers was trying to calm him down as he threw a chair at my direction. I ducked and saw that the police were coming down the hallway. Never seen a man tased before but it doesn't look fun. The boss pushed me into an of

5.

Text - HangaHammock • 21h I was supposed to come in and meet the staff and fill out paperwork so I could start the following Monday. I ended up spending 10 hours repairing 3D printers. It's ok though because my boss bought me dinner after.

6.

Text - trrwilson • 20h IT hardware support. We had an HP 8000 that was jamming. My coworker showed me how to replace all the rollers and the torque limiter. That was easy, except it didn't fix it. Lucky me, we had an entire paper feed assembly. His instructions were as follows. Take this off, take this off, take this off. Unhook all the cables going to the feed assembly. Put the new one in, hook it up, then put the side panels back on. It took all day, but that printer worked like it was brand n

7.

Text - wanted876y • 21h "Okay so I know this is your first day at a fast food restaurant but I got to get back to the register, hope you know how to use a deep fryer. Toodles!" Fuck you galven

8.

Text - ViralKira • 21h It was the first project I was the archaeologist in charge. It was a monitoring project. I basically had to watch an excavator dig up dirt, occasionally sift through it, look around to see if there were any artifacts (or artifact debris) on the ground. I was told it would be a simple 4 hour project and I would unlikely find anything... Turned into 2 days and I found: 2 sets of human remains, domesticated dog skull, fish bones, elk and caribou bones, eagle bones, a hearth a

9.

Text - HolyParadigm • 22h My manager sent me to a K-mart that was going to shut down for my first day just as security guard training. This was about a 3 hour bus ride from where I was staying, but I didn't mind since it was only for one day. Little did I know that my boss had just sent me all the way over there to cover another person's shift. It was a really stressful day since I had no idea what I was actually supposed to be doing (I was the only one stationed there) and I wasn't used to stan

10.

Text - Privateer781 • 23h 'Well, you're on the crew, now. Here's your pager but don't worry, there probably won't be a fire for a whi-' beepbeepbeepbееpbeep 'Well, shit.'

11.

Text - apocalypsebuddy • 21h We were hired to bring a lion to a rooftop party in Vegas. Some high roller rented out the entire roof of the Cosmopolitan and wanted a fully grown African lion there. The coordinating company who hired us built a special cabana next to the hot tubs that could hold the lion. It was quite the experience having an entire security team secure our path up to the roof. We had to take the door off the cage to get it to fit in the elevator, and even then, I could be the onl

12.

Text - broken_bones2012 • 23h Filled out new hire paperwork for a job as an installation technician and was told to come back the next day for training. Turns out training was working a twelve hour shift while shadowing the area manager on his route. That ended up being one of the best and worst jobs I ever had.

13.

Text - Tigergassel1821 • 20h I started two jobs at the same time and the first weekend I supposed to work the morning shift by myself at this hostel I missed my alarm because I closed as a hostess at this restaurant the night before at 1 am..so I wake up at 7:30 am with 25 missed calls from my new boss and when I called him two minutes later he told me he was outside my house and would take me to work when I was ready. Lmao literally nuts but turned out to be a really good guy.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment