Monday, August 10, 2020

Rude K-Pop Fan Doesn't Know Fellow Fan Speaks Korean


Every so often, someone makes the assumption that they can talk mad shit about someone else to their face just because they look like they they're not fluent in their language. It happened in this case where a rude customer didn't realize their cashier was fluent in Mandarin. The look on someone's face when they realize they've been insanely rude must be priceless.

1.

Text - r/pettyrevenge Posted by u/thisisdrivingmebatty 1 day ago Bad mouth me and assume I don't speak the language? I'll kill you with kindness Obligatory "I'm on mobile sorry for the formatting." I am a light skinned Latina American and I lived in Korea for a couple of years during university and grad school, as my major was Korean Interpretation and Translation. During my time in Korea I was lucky enough to attend music shows from time to time. For the kpop uninitiated, music shows are free t

2.

Text - Priority entry was always given to official fan club members who had all 3, then fan club members who had 2 of the 3, and then fan club members who had one. After that came non-members in the same priority tier. The group I had come to see hadn't opened official fan club registration in almost a decade, so the group's management decided to do away with the fan club priority and did it on a first come, first serve basis, but kept the whole 3 items go first, then 2 then 1 thing. I had all t

3.

Text - The thing about these music show venues is, they're very small. They have limited capacity and allow 2-3 groups' fans in to watch them film at a time, so not all people who queue for a group get in. In this particular instance, there was trouble with foreign fans causing trouble by taking pictures, not listening to instructions, so venue staff literally went through and QUIZZED each foreigner in line on their korean. If you couldn't understand, you were booted. I passed with flying colors

4.

Text - I was minding my own business playing games on my phone after passing my Korean quiz with the staff, when I heard the girl behind me talking shit. She was chatting with a friend I suspect because she was dropping a lot of curse words, and specifically mentioned "these foreign roaches ruining things for us. I want to kill them." She mentioned me in particular and said that she bet I'd bribed the staff to keep my spot in line even though I couldn't understand Korean. Okay so. It's harmless

5.

Text - I get back to my spot in line, thank the girls in front of me for holding my spot, then gave them each a water. I gave a water to the group in front of them, too. Then I kept one for myself and turned around and handed one to the girl on the phone with a smile. Immediately she lit up and thanked me in English, smiling bright and taking her phone away from her ear. As I hand her her water, I say in perfect Korean and still smiling, “The next time you loudly shit talk the foreigners, make s

6.

Text - When I tell you it went silent in the immediate area, you could hear a pin drop. Her smile melted off her face faster than an ice cream cone on Florida pavement. She turned beet red and muttered to her friend on the phone that she had to go and sheepishly apologized. I accepted, she had water, and I felt better about myself. Bonus: the girls in front of me heard the whole thing and adopted me into their group for the day. Fun was had all around.

Submitted by:

Tagged: FAIL , korean , stranger , language , lol , story , funny , rude , win

No comments:

Post a Comment