Saturday, July 25, 2020

Pyramid Scheme Scammer Ends Up Paying In The End


Seriously, pyramid schemes are the worst. This guy literally showed up for a gig and saw a pyramid on the wall. At least the whole scam was glaringly obvious, and the scheme itself was ultimately shut down. If you enjoyed this revenge drama, check out our recent revenge of the week, "The Long Game" over here.

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge u/Drunken_Black_Belt • 3y + Join 3 Pyramid Scheme scammer ends up paying in the end! About 6 or 7 years ago, I was trying to enlist into the military. I ended up not joining but that's a story for another time. At this point, I was led to believe I was about 4 months away from leaving for Boot camp. I was running out of savings, and needing a part time job for some spending cash while I waited around.

2.

Text - So I did what any enterprising 20something would do, and searched craigslist for jobs. I normally hate sales jobs, especially those based on commissions, but figured it would be a great way to earn some extra cash short term. Found a few job listings that looked promising, and put out some applications. A few days later I received a call from David. He was opening up a new store and needed associates. He liked my resume and asked if l'd be available for an interview on Friday morning. I w

3.

Text - Friday arrives as a cold rainy day. I wear a nice shirt and tie, and drive in heavy traffic to the address David provided. I knew the area from a previous job, and eventually found the strip mall I was looking for. However, l'm not seeing any signage for the company name that was listed. There is however, one empty space with no signage and two people inside. Ok, maybe they havent gotten the store set up yet. No big deal. I had arrived early, knowing how bad traffic can be in that area. W

4.

Text - I walk in about 5 minutes early, and immediately my BS meter goes from Yellow to the highest level, "Black Watch Plaid". The tables are all simple plastic folding tables. The kind college kids would buy for beer pong while on a shopping trip to target. The walls are plastered with laminated charts featuring tons of dollar signs, smiling faces from stock photos, and an organizational chart showing an all to familiar shape. A Pyramid. God damnit. Alright, might as well have fun for a while

5.

Text - The young lady in the dress approaches me, introducing herself as Cindy. She welcomed me to Company Name, and asked me to have a seat. She sat at her "desk" (another plastic table), and pretended to go through paper work. However she was really just shuffling papers around. We get to chatting, and I ask her how long she's worked for David. She says she's been his secretary for about 6 months and that I'm going to love it here. Eventually, a guy walks out of the back office. Early 30's, cl

6.

Text - The guy stops in his tracks and gives her a cold stare. "It's David, Cindy. We've been over this". He turns back to me and gives me his brightest "Hard to find good help these days" smile. David sits me down and welcomes me, saying they are going to start with a group interview and has me sit down in a circle of chairs. Eventually more people come in and sit down. David gets up and begins to thank us all for coming. He tells us about an exciting new opportunity from Cutco! He pulls out a

7.

Text - Sad to say, a lot of the other interviewees were very impressed by this. One pregnant girl seemed very excited that she could work around her pregnancy and upcoming birth. David was going on and on about how much money he's made and how "hard workers will rise to the top quickly". At this point, David said he needed to take a quick phone call, and gave us 5 minutes to have some coffee, chit chat, whatever. As he stepped away, he left his college textbook behind. Oops. Sol pick it up, find

8.

Text - David walks in a few minutes later, and one of the girls in the group asked David what we need to get started. "Well, all you need is your first set of knives to demonstrate! You can sell that on directly or have them order one and keep that as your demo kit. Doesn't matter. Just have to pay the start up fees for it" And that's when all hell broke loose. One kid started to get up and tell him to go fuck himself, saying he's wasting our time and he's an asshole for trying to pull this shit

9.

Text - As I'm walking to the door, I see, leaning against the wall, the sign that was in the window before "Retail Space for Rent! Call 1800-Blah-Blah". As I get into my car I dial the number. Eventually I get through to a person, and ask about the property for rent at the location of David's company. The nice lady on the phone apologized, saying they had just leased that property out. 1 asked if she knew how long the lease was for, as I was really interested in the property. She said she wasnt

10.

Text - Or so I thought. A few weeks later, I received an email from David. Telling me how I ruined his life. About how the property management found out what was going on, and weren't refunding his down payment on the space. Saying he violated a clause in the paperwork he signed to hold the property. How he knew I was the one who called because l'm a terrible human being, etc etc. Now he was out thousands for the space and supplies, how he only wanted to give us jobs and help us. It was a long,

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment