Sunday, June 14, 2020

Untrue "Facts" People Were Told In Complete Seriousness


There's a lot of people walking around with their heads still full of garbage they heard on the bus in 6th grade, and they're more than willing to tell you with full confidence that bears lay eggs. From absurd falsehoods to nonexistent laws that people insist are real, people are willing to say some absurd things in complete seriousness.

1.

Text - the_krusty_cl0d 493 points · 18 hours ago My grandma wasn't very happy with the fact that I'm vegetarian so she tried to convince me that fish were vegetables. .. I still can't help but laugh because she wasn't even joking

2.

Text - aBucketofChestnuts 7.6k points · 20 hours ago My roommate tried to convince me that there are Chimpanzee-people in the jungle because isolated tribes are getting it on with the monkeys. I tried to explain how species reproduce and quickly realized he thinks you can bang a horse and get a centaur.

3.

Text - psych_edelic_survey 7.4k points · 19 hours ago It's possible to breathe underwater. She then tried to demonstrate and snorted a bunch of lake water up her nose. She was 14 at the time.

4.

Text - a_guy_named_gai 5.2k points · 19 hours ago Peacocks dont have sex. A female gets pregnant when it eats the teardrops of the male.

5.

Text - downhereforyoursoul 3.9k points · 19 hours ago An old boss explained to me one day that hearing men sing causes women's brains to release some kind of sex hormone that makes us crazy. This is why girls and women screamed and fainted over the Beatles back in the day and why we get all hysterical at concerts. He said it in this really condescending tone, too, like he was dropping some deep knowledge on me that I probably wouldn't understand, but that's how he explained most things anyway. F

6.

Text - Alarmed_Brick 3.9k points · 18 hours ago · edited 7 hours ago Not me but my mum. She was walking with a group of friends on a popular trail in the UK. She has quite an outspoken friend, let's call her Sally. The group saw a number of Chinese tourists taking pictures of the sheep along the trail. One of the group asked; "I wonder why they are all taking pictures of sheep all the time." To which Sally replies; "It's because they don't have sheep in China" The group all believed Sally, and t

7.

Text - fazedpan 3.9k points · 18 hours ago I was told random strangers would offer me drugs my whole life.

8.

Text - USPSA-Addict 3.4k points · 19 hours ago You can get black lung disease from overcooking the marshmallows for s'mores.

9.

Text - 69schrutebucks 3.0k points · 19 hours ago My cousin's wife told me that blue eyed babies can't wear Pampers diapers because they're all allergic.

10.

Text - InannasPocket 2.9k points · 19 hours ago Africa is one country. We had literally just finished a geography segment about the countries in Africa.

11.

Text - Keefer1970 2.9k points · 18 hours ago The band name "KISS" is an acronym for "Knights In Satan's Service." "AC/DC" = "Anti-Christian Devil Children" "Slayer" = "Satan Laughs As You Eternally Rot" ..all told to us without irony by a Sunday school teacher, circa 1987

12.

Text - MeiMei91 2.8k points · 19 hours ago "soap makes the water molecules smaller, that's how it cleans"

13.

Text - onioning 2.7k points · 19 hours ago · edited 8 hours ago Goats lay eggs. A several minute argument followed, and I did not convince him he was wrong. I work in meat processing. Not that that's necessary to know that goats don't lay eggs, but it just made the argument all the more ridiculous. I'd literally seen goats born live countless times, and yet he argued. Edit: I also worked at a caviar bar for a while, and many times had to hear from people who were horrified we were eating dolphin

14.

Text - Foolscap77 2.4k points · 20 hours ago I always like "if they are undercover law enforcement and you ask, they HAVE to tell you!"

15.

Text - I_throw_socks_at_cat 1.8k points · 17 hours ago The shape of the banana and the way it fits your hand so well are proof that god exists. He stopped using that argument when one of our co-workers pointed out that dicks fit hands pretty well too.

16.

Text - ToxicMasculinity1981 1.6k points · 16 hours ago This is a story that is too long to type in full but I once got into a disagreement with some random dude at an A&W because he thought that 1/4 (one quarter) was more than 1/3 (one third). His reasoning was that since 1/4 has a four and 1/3 has a three, and 4 is one unit higher than 3 then 1/4 is more than 1/3. The worst part was that in order to prove him wrong I asked the cashier girl which weighed more, she didn't know. Then I asked the n

17.

Text - shaka_sulu 1.5k points · 19 hours ago North Carolina can't be in The South... its has North in its name!

18.

Text - atlantis_airlines 1.4k points · 18 hours ago I was talking to a guy at the bar and he was telling me how soap is unnecessary for washing your hands. All you need is a combination of hot water and cold water. Not warm. But use both cold and hot. I did not shake his hand.

19.

Text - iffyiffyyahyah 1.4k points · 20 hours ago My mum told me Michael Jackson died from eating too many potato chips, in an attempt to get me to stop snacking..

20.

Text - DisneyDork1313 1.3k points · 18 hours ago My ex argued that fossils weren't actually old and those creatures never existed, they were just stuck there to confuse us.

21.

Text - RedHotChilliFeta 1.3k points · 18 hours ago · edited 11 hours ago "The internet is in the sky." I explained how it's in the ocean. They ganged up on me and said “It's called the 'cloud' because it's in the sky, duh!" It was 3 of them vs 1 of me. I walked away ʻlosing' the debate. There's power in numbers folks.

22.

Text - TreePretty 1.1k points · 18 hours ago A woman I worked with a long time ago told me that her proof of Christianity being the correct religion is that it was the first one.

23.

Text - LOB90 931 points · 18 hours ago When you go to Liverpool and start singing a Beatles song, everybody will join in like it's some Disney movie. The guy was dead serious.

24.

Text - Scamperillium 789 points · 18 hours ago Someone once told me that it never snows in the state of Washington because 'its on the west coast'. Same person also told me that she doesnt believe in gravity because "if it was real, wouldnt the sun just suck up the moon?". She was 24 when she said these things to me.

25.

Text - eraser_dust 733 points · 19 hours ago My dad believes "nano silver" cures everything & truly believes in his “nano silver" throat spray. He says kings & emperors in the past drank from silver cups & that's how they had long, healthy lives. Er. No they didn't. They had mostly short, often disease riddled lives.

26.

Text - RealityTimeshare 662 points · 19 hours ago La Quinta is Spanish for "next to Denny's". I thought they were making a joke. They were not.

27.

Text - AggressiveResult2 594 points · 18 hours ago That men have one less rib than women, and that alone disproves evolution.

28.

Text - TaintTickle86 507 points · 19 hours ago That you can live off drinking sea water because Gatorade has sodium in it. I was telling this dude about a guy who was stranded out at sea for awhile and survived by drinking rainwater and shark blood or some shit, and dude was like "why didn't he drink the sea water? Gatorade has sodium in it and it's fine. It's a myth that you can't drink sea water. Probably so they can keep charging people for drinking water."

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment