Sunday, June 14, 2020

Apartment Complex Tries To Pull Fast One On Tenant


Capitalism at its finest. This tenant found themselves staring down the unwanted scenario of an apartment complex trying to turn their units into condos, after luring folks in with low rent. So, as the story goes, the tenant basically sets up a marketplace for the use of the complex's laundry machines, and ends up commandeering some of the apartment's income. Beautiful work, really. 

Check out another revenge story with the time that a landlord wouldn't pay for electricity during winter, so they ended up having to pay thousands. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/OnlySlightlyEvil • 2y Apartment complex pulled a fast one on me; I commandeered some of their income. This happened quite a few years ago. I decided to move from Texas to the midwest in April to be closer to my father who had prostate cancer. The previous October, I came up to visit and go apartment hunting, and I found a complex I liked in a decent location. They wouldn't let me reserve an apartment six months in advance, so I had to wait four months before filling

2.

Text - So April finally arrives, and I arrive at the leasing office with my U-Haul packed to the brim. (Moving is such a fucking pain in the ass). I go in to get my keys, and amongst other things, the woman explains the washer/ dryer situation to me: There's a laundry room on every floor, each with 2 washers and 2 dryers. The machines don't take coins, they take "tokettes" which are wafer- thin, shield-shaped plastic tokens. Each wash and each dry is 1 tokette. Tokettes are $1 ea. They're sold o

3.

Text - hours so l'm not usually awake in the afternoon. And who wants to waste time with checks? It was all very inconvenient, so I bought a pack on the spot. I get to my apartment and take the tokettes out of the envelope to examine them. Embossed on the back is the manufacturer. I research the manufacturer and find a distributor. I call the distributor to inquire about prices and availability. A box of 1000 costs $58 + $10 shipping, and they were in stock. Wowza! So I ordered one box and had i

4.

Text - Fast forward to August. There are letters on everyone's door notifying residents that the building is going condo and that tenants had first dibs on purchasing their units, or the units would be sold and we'd be at the mercy of the new owners. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? I'm gonna be honest with you, I wasn't even fully unpacked at this point. I never would have gone to the trouble of arranging for housing from across the country at this complex if l'd known l'd have to either purchase the apar

5.

Text - So later that night, I put signs on everyone's door: "MOVING SALE! Laundry tokens 50¢ each! Get 'em while you can!" My phone started ringing at 7 am. I made over $300 that day. I immediately ordered a few more boxes, then put signs up in every building on the property the following week. My phone started blowing up even earlier that time.

6.

Text - I moved out at the end of my lease, but the orders kept coming in. I'd divvy up each new box of tokens into little zip baggies in 10-, 20-, 25-, 50-, and 100-count increments. My customers' phone numbers were stored in my phone by building address and unit number. When they called, something like 4100 #215 would show up on my caller ID. They'd tell me how many they needed, l'd deliver to their door. I was like a drug dealer. I made several deliveries a week for a year. But then the machin

7.

Text - In the end, I made about $3,000, which means I bilked the complex out of +$6,000. I have no idea if the sharp decline in token sales was the impetus behind the switch. TL;DR: Apartment complex lures me in with low rent, turns the tables on me and goes condo, I hijack their washing machines. Edit: Someone in the comments asked me to prove it, so here it is:

8.

Text - -50201 6:18.17

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment