Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Student Nukes Business From Orbit Over A D-


Printing counterfeit books is a low blow, indeed. You see the firsthand implications of such a practice, here, with this student who got screwed over by a book that simply wasn't as it presented itself. Not cool. Not cool at all. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/AbortRetrylmplode • 3y Nuked a business from orbit because I got a D- This revenge story is two years in the making and is long, so my apologies. Two years ago I started a distance PhD program. My very first full semester in the program consisted of an intro course which is basically "Welcome back to school. Here's how to do research. Here's how to do APA citations." A LOT of it focused on proper APA writing and one of the first assignments was just doing a simple ab

2.

Text - messaged my professor and told her I followed the book exactly and she did the academic equivalent of patting me on the head and saying, "Of course you did, dear." By this time I was thinking I was out of my mind. I sent a Strongly Worded Letter (tm) to the APA that basically said, "What the hell is wrong with you guys selling a book like this?" They wrote back and did the business equivalent of patting me on the head and saying, "We're sorry you don't like our book." Then I started REALL

3.

Text - seems to be a common theme in my life. Sol wrote them a very polite email and sent them the photos of the book and said, "I think you might have been provided a pirated version of the book." Well, the seller didn't appreciate that and wrote me back a SUPER nasty email saying that my suggestion that they were selling counterfeits was very offensive, all their books were brand new from the publishers, and that I was a bitch they were going to report to the police for slander. Okay, I was pr

4.

Text - This is the part where I went full Internet stalker. I searched for their company name and found it was a registered LLC. I got the address from their state's listing of small business registrations (which turned out to be a fairly nice looking house per Google Maps) then looked up property tax records on the house to get the owner's name. I found the owner on Facebook and found they had a business website listed under a completely different name that they'd shared all over their FB timel

5.

Text - started wondering whatever happened to them so I dug up the emails with the info and went looking. They no longer have seller profiles on any of the sites. Their website has been taken over by a domain re-seller. The house appears to have been sold last year (which may not be related, but l'd like to think it is.) And the owner's Facebook page lists them as now working at a place that turns out to be a PayDay lender. I dug through their timeline and found someone asking in October of last

6.

Text - Edit 2 - THE SEQUEL: My post got taken off because of the Google Drive link. Happily, imgur seems to be working today so here's all the same stuff in a handy imgur album. Some replies to things that keep coming up: "How did those minor errors cause you to get such a bad grade?" Because part of the assignment was doing the citations for the abstract and because of the incorrect italicizing (caused by following the APA guide) and my own error on the abstract of leaving off the running head

7.

Text - "Grad school is a waste, online school sucks, etc." Cool story. I work in academia and my field has no upward mobility without a PhD. I'm doing this through a major university, not a degree mill. You're entitled to your opinion though. "I don't believe you." Again, you're entitled to your opinion. I dumped all the info I could easily find that wouldn't put my personal info or the seller's personal info out there. If you want to call BS then that's fine.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment