Saturday, June 13, 2020

Illogical Things People Believed For Years


Someone on AskReddit got a fun thread going about the various illogical things that people believed for years. Many of us can fall through the cracks on various things that the rest of the world treats as common sense. As long as you learn at some point, that's what counts. 

1.

Text - Squeegee54 • 1d Whenever I was at the mall as a kid, I asked my older sibling why some mannequins didn't have heads. They told me it was because the mannequin heads were crawling on the ground trying to come and bite my feet. I believed it for a very long time and then became paranoid every time I was at the mall. Whenever I saw a mannequin without a head, it was time to panic. Reply 6.3k ...

2.

Text - Samwell_Ka-tet • 1d That while I (brazilian) was having Engllish classes at my school, an equivalent number of students were having Portuguese classes in the USA. Oh, the innocence of a kid... Reply 3.0k ...

3.

Text - itsybitsyemu • 1d That pomegranates and starfruit grew at the north pole. Because we'd get them in our stockings, se... Anyway, realized in COLLEGE that i kind of still had that as a thing in the back of my head (the opportunity to challenge it never really came up) and I was like wtf brain, really? Reply 266 ...

4.

Text - ttotto45 • 1d I thought ikea was a fancy, expensive store for a very long time! (Edit: I suck at grammar) Reply 508 ...

5.

Text - [deleted] • 1d 3 1 Award When I first got my license they asked if I wanted to be an organ donor. I said no. Years later a friend of mine asked me why I wasn't a donor and I told them it was because I was afraid they would call me up one day and demand a kidney or part of my liver or something. After laughing their ass off my friend explained that's not how it works and now l'm an organ donor. Hopefully no one wants my brain because l'm a moron. Reply 4.2k ...

6.

Text - elendil21 • 1d That the world was black and white until colour came in to it. Looking at old photographs confused young me, apparently Reply 964 ...

7.

Text - wormboyz • 1d 1 Award When I was 61 went on an airplane for the first time, and I must have fallen asleep and had a dream, without realising it was a dream. It was a decade later when I realised I couldn't really be angry that my brother got to ride with the pilot, roll the window down and get a cup of cloud, and I didn't. Reply 2.9k ...

8.

Text - edakit • 1d I use to think my cousin lived in the plumbing of my house and would cry every time the toilet flushed or the sink/bath was drained incase he got wet Reply 1.3k ...

9.

Text - rjay9795 • 1d I believed for years that I would be abducted by aliens after freaking myself out as a child watching something on history channel. As I got older I reasoned my way out of it by assuming that if aliens were real and gonna abduct someone, they'd have no particular reason to come to my densely populated black neighborhood and decide to mess with me specifically. This eventually led me to realize that most things like aliens, ghosts, Bigfoot etc aren't really reported from blac

10.

Text - BlackCaaaaat • 1d My uncle, who enjoys shit-stirring, told me that watermelon seeds can sprout in your stomach if you eat them. I was a young kid, and I kept believing it for years. That must be why I hate eating watermelon, but don't mind watermelon flavour in other foods and drinks. Reply 642 ...

11.

Text - indecision-king • 1d I thought beluga whales and narwhals were made up, like vampires. (Edit:learned narwhals were real in ninth grade; beluga whales didn't become real until I think 11th or 12th grade) Reply 164 ...

12.

Text - tamytay • 1d Turning on the lights in the car will get me arrested Reply 162 ...

13.

Text - punkterminator • 1d I believed in Santa until I was about 7 or 8, which isn't that unusual except that I'm Jewish and I thought he was an antisemite because I never got presents on Christmas. Reply 4.8k ...

14.

Text - Samwell_Ka-tet • 1d That EVERYBODY, except me, were aliens trying to manipulate me in some kind of experiment. So while I was interacting with someone, s/he was wearing a "human costume", but when I was far away they would return to their alien body. (I cannot say I 100% don't believe in that anymore) Reply 1 498 ...

15.

Text - KingCoal90 • 1d I thought the word "Hungry" was named after the country "Hungary" because they sounded so similar. Reply 1 79 ...

16.

Text - Calumkincaid • 1d That prawns swam up rivers, got bigger, became crayfish, then eventually migrated back to the ocean to become lobsters. As a kid mind you. Reply 891 ...

17.

Text - annainpajamas • 1d When I was really young, one of my friends told me that raisin bread had rabbit poop in it. So I refused to eat raisin bread for years. At some point the narrative of rabbit poop in bread must have got a little strange because then convinced myself I just didn't like it. And went with that for 25 years. Until I dated someone who loved raisin bread and tried and it was amazing! No more rabbit poop bread. Reply 632 ...

18.

Text - tadlikesbread • 1d When I was like 3 my favorite TV show was Max and Ruby. There was an episode where Max got a wind up lobster toy and it gets loose and runs around the house. This convinced me that at every Red Lobster restaurant location they had live lobsters running around everywhere. Everytime I went there for probably 2 or 3 years I sat with my feet on my chair so I wouldn't get pinched by one of them. Reply 80 ...

19.

Text - prettydotty_ • 1d If you shake water in a water bottle long enough it will turn into crystal. Why did I believe this? Because my big sister told me and she was never wrong. So I did that for years until I found out it was a lie to keep my occupied on the car so l'd stop annoying my parents. Reply 1.5k ...

20.

Text - DQ_Anomaly • 1d I believed all dogs are male and all cats are female. The cartoon CatDog really screwed with my youthful mind. Both ends are male and I just couldn't comprehend that. Reply 598 ...

21.

Text - radiocomicsescapist • 1d I thought Jesus invented the English language. Reply 1 59 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment