Saturday, June 13, 2020

Biggest Lies People Heard About College


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the biggest lies that people heard about college. As it turns out, sometimes college isn't as tough and completely soul-grinding as it's made out to be. Or, on the flip side, folks share that it's not necessary to go to college to avoid finding oneself in an unwanted life situation. In fact, so many are out there crushing it with no college background. It ultimately comes down to what one wants to do. No telling what the final outcome will be. 

1.

Text - rhoskir12 • 1d When I was in 7th grade, some of my cousins told me that colleges could look at your search history and I believed them. I immediately went through all my search history, deleted it, and purposely searched up stuff like "how to solve quadratics" or "what does i represent" so I could sound smart/hardworking to colleges.

2.

Text - DBM • 1d 2 Awards If you get hit by the campus bus your tuition is paid for by the college. sent from my wheelchair

3.

Text - michmichmich777 • 1d That it doesn't matter if you don't know what you want to study right away and you can switch your major at anytime. While parts of this are true, college is expensive. I switched my major after my second year and had to take a fifth year to finish my degree. It's cheaper to take classes at a community college if you are unsure of what you want to study and then transition into university once you've decided. Don't pay thousands of dollars to find yourself.

4.

Text - the_facade_ • 1d "You'll get laid." Smh ... wait as a matter of fact the deadlines and professors did fuck my head up

5.

Text - baguitosPT • 1d A high school teacher told us that: "The summer before college is the last long vacation you'll have." The (many) years of college were actually the longest vacation l've had.

6.

Text - ToGrillAMockingbird • 1d That the friends you make in college will be the best ones of your life. Didnt happen to me. My closest friends are a few guys I met wayback when I was in elementary school and they are like brothers to me. No one could be a better friend to me than those guys. I made some friends in college but they were just drinking buddies and I lost touch with most of them.

7.

Text - HorseFightingLeague • 1d The two that stand out are professors would only accept papers written in cursive, and the only path to college is doing well in high school. The former isn't true because of these things called "computers" and the latter isn't true because of this thing called "community college."

8.

Text - KayderossKid • 1d My dad spent my entire senior high school year and my entire time in college telling me the same thing over and over. If you have a college degree, any job will hire you. Doesn't matter what kind of degree it is or what kind of job it is. They'll just hire you because you have a college degree. I don't think I really believed it, but I was too busy to question it anyway. The best part? When I got out of college and had trouble getting a job that didn't involve a cash reg

9.

Text - CalmingVisionary • 1d That "smart and mature people go to college". No matter what college I attended, or what campus I visited and regardless of their Alma mater, there are a fair amount of fools on any campus and from any school, and an expected number of people still experiencing the growing pains of adulthood. This isn't to say they shouldn't be proud of their academic accomplishments or happy about their career prospects. Rather, it is simply that they are by all means deficient in a

10.

Text - Stranger_in_a_van • 1d When I was in 11th-12th grade, I had a handful of teachers assigning unreasonably huge workloads of homework that were clearly valueless busywork. Their justification was that they were preparing us for the rigors of college. And if we found this workload unmanageable, we were doomed to flunk out of college. My first two years of college were significantly less rigorous than my last two years of high school. Those teachers should have been pushing personal accountab

11.

Text - bguzewicz • 1d "You have to go to college so you can get a good job." Well, what is a "good job?" What if I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life? I don't particularly love my current job (that has nothing to do with my degree, btw), but you know what? I still have one. I can support myself and live fairly comfortably. All my degree did was put me in debt.

12.

Text - kajcyika • 1d You will get a job if you have a degree

13.

Text - TsingtaoVirus • 1d That you'll meet the love of your life there.

14.

Text - ITzYaBoyLUNA702 • 1d You need to go to college in order to succeed in life.

15.

Text - LstInterestng2LookAt • 1d There's no cliques, everyone will be broke and struggling just like you, you won't have to deal with rich kids anymore.

16.

Text - pakidara • 1d The lie as given by one of my old high school teachers: "College is extremely difficult. For every hour of class time you will need to study at least another hour if you want to get even a 'C' grade. The homework is also hard because every assignment is like a final project and you'll spend hours on each one." My experience: College is just more of the same in regards to high school. You may struggle a bit with new subjects; but, not in any way you don't struggle with a subj

17.

Text - preciousfewheroes • 22h "If you don't go to college you'll end up being a construction worker with your body broken down and nothing to show for it." Got into the union building trades, bought a house and have a decent car and some money in savings. My body is banged up but almost all my peers have mountains of debt and make shit money, can barely afford rent. I really enjoy what I do, all over the city I work in I can see what I've built with my own hands. That being said, none of it has

18.

Text - Torchlover • 1d Friends, you'll meet your lifetime friends. I came in there alone, I left alone.

19.

Text - SebastianSceb2000 • 1d that it's really difficult and you'll have to work your arse off every second, It's not that difficult really.I found that there was a bigger difficulty jump with uni. I mean your 16 the jump isn't going to be massive from high school to college at least to start with.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment