Monday, June 1, 2020

Employee Enrages Bad Boss by Actually Following Rules


If you've worked for a place that cut every corner possible, so most businesses, you've probably ended up complying with some hell boss's stupid policyor ended up doing some irresponsible or unsafe junk that goes against your actual work guidelines. This person decided to actually follow the rules, and became hated by their crappy boss. Here's one about a boss that tried to get all Alpha and it didn't work out.

1.

Text - Text - r/MaliciousCompliance · Posted by u/antipatico_6 1 day ago My first job was a lesson in work-to- rule: A Very Obedient Payback oc XL I got hired on to my first job when I was 17. It was something of a fast food/coffee shop blend, and in my region, there are more of these chains than there are Starbucks chains. After a 10 minute interview and some paperwork, I was hired on. I would later find out that minors were the preferred hires at this location, since it was likely their first

2.

Text - Text - My mother makes a decent income going to work sites and dealing with on-site injuries, labour rights infractions, and so on. Her job is to make workplaces safer and spare them potential lawsuits. Through the stories she shared and the online handbook I devoured about labour rights in my region, I had a decent picture of how ethical workplaces operate. As it turns out, my new workplace was not-so-ethical. Your breaks were considered more of a privilege than a right, and you could be

3.

Text - There were so many weird, corner-cutting things going on that could create a disaster scenario in terms of safety. Climbing on whatever is available instead of using the ladder (the ladder was broken), poor food safety, and the occasional fire in the toaster oven, because new hires weren't instructed on how to use it safely. Not much instruction on how to use the corrosive cleaners, and if you had to clean the oven in the back kitchen, you were lucky if you received an unused mask or PPE

4.

Text - Text - I badly burned my arm with hot coffee and immediately went to treat it, then asked for the right forms to fill out to report on my injury. I was scolded for leaving the front end, told there were no forms, and informed that no one reports on burns, anyway. "If we reported every burn or slip and fall in a coffee shop, we'd never get through all the paperwork." The burn blistered with time and eventually required some prescription antibiotic cream from my physician. I was fed up, but

5.

Text - Text - I decided to do something unconventional. I thought I was the first to come up with it at the time, but I would later find out that my plan was a classic worker's protest tactic. I was going to work-to-rule: Follow every policy to the exact letter, which would inevitably slow things down and create obstacles to efficiency. It started with the cappuccino machine and the iced drink machine. The cappuccino machine is to be cleaned once daily, and the iced drink machine is to be change

6.

Text - we had an issue in the past where we got complaints about the taste of the iced drinks, only to pop the top off the machine and discover some kind of filmy, moldy growth on the surface. Seemed like a good place to start. I took great cares to drain them and give the detachable parts a long soak and a thorough scrub. This angered customers who wanted their drinks right away. I'd been there for awhile at this point, and instructed anyone I trained not to hesitate to get the manager if their

7.

Text - Text - We had this pre-prepared specialty tea that almost never got ordered, but nonetheless, it was policy to change the pot of tea every 30 minutes for freshness. No one did this, the tea would sit for hours. I decided this tea needed special attention, and made sure I was changing it regularly. The result was that we went through our stock faster than we ever had before, we frequently ran out, and the stock orders had to be changed to accommodate a greater supply of the tea. I took car

8.

Text - Text - I was assigned the sandwich and soup station, perhaps in an effort to keep me away from other things. However, it was wonderful new territory to work-to-rule. I changed gloves after every order, as the handbook indicated we should. I took cares to clean out all the receptacles before putting new toppings in them. The handbook indicated we were supposed to cool vats of soup in ice baths to bring them to a safe temperature before storing them in the fridge. I made sure it was done, w

9.

Text - Text - I kept abiding by the rules, rigidly and to their fullest extent. Management was incredibly pissed off and communicated as much when I wasn't around. However, I had turned 18 by this point. I could now legally work past a certain time, supervise the teenage employees and close the store. Until they hired on someone else who could work the hours I was working, it was something of a pickle for them. I also offered no hostility or indication I was being spiteful. If you were on the ou

10.

Text - I decided to quit after a conversation with the store owner herself. She indicated that she wasn't fond of, "Kids who think they know how to run a business she's been running for years," and had some other choice words for me. I told her on the spot, "Oh, I understand completely. I'll submit my written notice for you tomorrow." My resignation letter wasn't just a resignation letter. The first few lines were as much. What followed was a list of safety infractions and labour law violations

11.

Text - Text - I gave two weeks' notice in the interests of my coworkers, who would have had to take extra shifts if I left abruptly. I was scheduled for 5 of the 14 days. They wanted me out, and they wanted me out as soon as they could get me out. I didn't return to this location for several months, even though I lived fairly close to it. I eventually got curious and went back to check things out. The place looked very different. You walked in, and it just felt cleaner. The employees looked happ

12.

Text - TL;DR: My first job was at a coffee shop with major safety and labour law violations, I decided to follow all the rules to the exact letter, chaos ensued. I quit with a letter indicating the laws they broke. Store ends up under new ownership and ultimately better, though I don't know if that had anything to do with me.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment