Thursday, May 7, 2020

Insults That Sound Like Compliments


This fun AskReddit thread has people describing those insults that sound just like compliments. People might be out there trying to squeeze in a dig on you, through the mask of a smile and lighthearted tone. Who knows? Maybe the next time you hear one of these out in the wild, you'll do away with the passive aggressive antics, and ask the person what they really mean. Or just let it slide. 

1.

Text - Steveg27 • 20h 2 Awards I love what you're trying to do with your hair...

2.

White - MelonSodah • 21h Good for you

3.

Text - Scodanibbio • 18h My grandma used to tell us that if you ever met an ugly baby you should said "wow that is SOME BABY"

4.

Text - ThatVapeBitch• 17h My grandma always says people are "good and kind" when they get on her nerves. They think shes a sweet old lady, when shes really saying they're "good for nothing and kinda stupid". I got it engraved on a mug for her

5.

Text - TheSchoeMaker • 21h 3 1 Award Friends and I do this thing where you add the word "actually" to an otherwise normal complement in order to make it backhanded (e. g. "hey you're actually pretty smart")

6.

White - Emnkay666 • 22h 2 Awards That outfit is really brave.

7.

Text - Dyingforsomelove • 21h "You look.... healthy" where l'm from, the nice way of saying someone has gotten fat.

8.

Text - ChewyGoblin • 22h "Wow! My grandma would love that outfit!"

9.

Text - dark_Links_sword · 21h 3 1 Award To my friend: you have cooler friends than I do. :)

10.

Text - Cleverusername531 • 18h 8 Awards You're at the top of the bell curve.

11.

Text - BenderDeLorean • 22h "At least you tried your best"

12.

White - llcucf80 • 21h That's nice, dear.

13.

Text - Saints_Slav • 20h 1 Award You are impossible to underestimate.

14.

Text - brba12341994• 21h One of the guys I was dating told me 'you share your emotions and feelings quite often'. I took it as I probably talk too much about things and shouldn't, but he told me that no it's a good thing and it helps. Still made me think twice the next time I wanted to share things.

15.

Text - JOI Lives • 21h "Wow, you're so brave" or "I wish I had your confidence" said completely deadpan. Add an exclamation point and the vibe can be changed.

16.

Text - lonememe • 20h "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." Malcom Reynolds

17.

Text - RetainedByLucifer • 22h 1 Award The classic: "I hope your day is as pleasant as you are." This is coming from a retail worker to a FullI Karen.

18.

Text - storiesaremagic • 21h I don't care what everybody else says, I think you're pretty cool.

19.

Text - hatformy_cat • 20h 1 Award "your sister is beautiful and you are...smart"

20.

Text - Sandillion • 22h "In the words of the late Reverend Spooner, you are a shining whit!" Its the most British insult I know. For the uninitiated, a spoonerism is where you swap the starting sounds of two words. So Shining Whit becomes...

21.

Text - hearditb0thways • 21h 3 5 Awards "See you later!" "Not if I see you first!" I always thought it was just a cheesy response, but no - the implication is that if you see the other person, you bail before they see you.

22.

Text - SmoothConfidence • 18h "Well, I enjoyed this conversation. It was very nice. It was like talking to the sweet, old lady on the bus." -Michael Scott "Chair Model" episode

23.

Text - Plumhawk • 18h It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself. -Abe Froman

24.

Text - Lurkerjunior1 • 18h "I bet you spent a lot of time thinking that one through" Implying whatever was said or done was of poor quality and bringing into question their intelligence as it took a while to think up a poor plan.

25.

Text - Odeeum • 18h "You have completely met my expectations"

26.

Text - Delanorix • 21h "You are the funniest person you know." Ilike to use that on strangers who are sarcastic to me. They usually come back with yup and a shit eating grin.

27.

Text - Back2Bach • 22h "I must go now. Talking with you has been mostly enjoyable."

28.

Text - IHeartBadCode • 21h S 2 Awards I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Reply 3.1k

29.

Text - denhelder • 18h Anything starting with "No offence, but..."

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment