Monday, February 22, 2021

Wholesome Secrets People Have Been Keeping


During these trying and tumultuous times it's terribly easy to forget that there are in fact people out in the world that are committed to humbly spreading acts of pure loving kindness. You've probably seen your fair share of people that have decided to take the route of raving about their "selfless" acts on social media, to the point where it almost seems like the very act of kindness was conceptualized and carried out for the sole sake of raking in some clout. Not only is such an approach toward acts of generosity just a little bit unbecoming, but it also manages to effortlessly irritate other folks that witness it.

So, an AskReddit thread like this that's dedicated to highlighting people's best kept wholesome secrets is just the kind of collection of insights that can really reignite your faith in humanity. A huge part in setting a positive mindset can be sourced in what one is actually steering their attention toward. Sometimes, we can become so conditioned by all the different technological tools available at our disposal, and oftentimes all the stressful headlines that said tools can generate for our unconscious consumption that we don't fully realize the impact that their having on our well being. Thus, redirecting one's attention to threads and other bits of wholesome media can work wonders for a nice little positive mood boost.

Maybe you've been someone who was on the receiving end of one of these acts of selfless kindness. Perhaps, a spontaneous moment arose when you were just muddling through a typical, bank account-sapping trip to the grocery store, when suddenly a perfect stranger decides to help you out with some grocery items. And it's done so from a genuinely gracious place. There's something strange about those kinds of actions that possess the capacity to inspire more of us to keep the good energy flowing. It's like the wholesome generosity momentarily knocks us out of our daily automated processes where we're so often just racing from point A to point B, and instead slows us down, and encourages us to look for ways where we might end up being able to help out another fellow human being with their life pursuits. As mentioned at the beginning of this ramble, when the times get tough it falls on us to proactively seek out ways to help others outside of ourselves. Without a little bit of support from folks, the avalanche of fails and other frustrating life events that life just loves to throw one's way, can feel completely exhausting. So, maybe the highlights from this AskReddit thread can act as some kind of catalyst to drive more of the good, wholesome vibes back into the atmosphere.

Obviously we appreciate our fails here. So much. Like an insatiable appetite kind of much. But every now and again it's nice to shake it all up and momentarily observe some of the pure good that is being spread around the world. As it turns out there's a whole lot.

1.

Font - ShamelessFox • 1y 3 4 Awards Whenever I can, I anonymously buy the meal for a senior citizen eating breakfast alone. I used to get breakfast with my Dad. He passed away suddenly and a few months after he passed I saw a man eating breakfast alone that looked like my Dad. Right down to the awful gaudy suspenders. Broke my heart. So I started buying breakfast for a senior dining alone as my random act of kindness that also fulfilled my wish that I could still take my Dad to breakfast. Unbekn

2.

Rectangle - terracottatilefish • 1y 3 3 Awards Sometimes when my patients can't afford their medication I check with our social worker to see if the clinic fund can cover the medications. It usually can. The fund is my wallet. 953 ...

3.

Font - [deleted] • 1y S 2 Awards I stay after work sometimes an extra 10-30 minutes to just hangout with my boss. He thinks it's cause he gives me a beer and I got nothing better to do, but I do it because he's a sad guy at heart with a lot of pain in him. I try to keep him company because we've developed a sorta "father/son" relationship and I don't want him to feel lonely. I poke fun at him and try to make him laugh so maybe he feels a bit better. Bastard doesn't deserve it, but I do it anyway

4.

Font - 16 Awards My uncle is a truly fantastic guy. He's the sort of dude that would give you the shirt off his back without a second thought. He's the only truly kind and generous person l've ever met. He took me in twice when me and my parents were having problems. Once for two weeks, once for a full year. He's always been who I go to for advice, because I genuinely want to be just like him. Last year he collapsed in the kitchen. I was there when it happened. That was the start to a seemingly

5.

Font - CrediblyHandsome · ly At the beginning of our relationship, I noticed that when we shared chicken wings, my girlfriend preferred the wingettes (or flats). So I always reached for the drumettes whenever we ordered wings. My girlfriend thinks I like the drumettes better, while actually, I too prefer wingettes. This is a secret I will never tell her, because she would feel bad about it. 2.7k ...

6.

Rectangle - RhinestoneHousewife · 1y When my husband is in the shower, I often toss his towel into the dryer so that it's nice and warm when he grabs it. I'm not sure he even realizes that I do it. 1.0k ...

7.

Font - I sent a large check to my in-laws to reimburse them for my husband's funeral with the "insurance money." They don't know how hard I worked and saved that to send them more than five times what I received. I knew they wouldn't accept it otherwise. Only my kids and I know, and I only told them because we have been scrimping and saving. 232 ...

8.

Rectangle - goldfish441 · 1y Almost every night I wake up at some point to pee. When I get back in bed I kiss my girlfriend on the head and every night she gets a little smile on her face when I do it. I never bring it up because it's the most adorable thing in the world. 197 ...

9.

Font - iggybu · 1y Sometimes I like to clear my head walking through beautiful cemeteries. I try to spend extra time near sites that don't seem to be recently visited, so those ghosts don't feel lonely. But I also like looking at the flowers and other momentos left by loved ones and imagining that person's life while they were alive. 894

10.

Rectangle - Scared_noun • 1y I'm learning British Sign language so I can talk to my deaf neighbours more. It's difficult and it's not the easiest because I'm preparing for my exams(l'm 15 oof) but l'm trying 150 ...

11.

Rectangle - Rembo_• 1y Whenever someone comes over I tell them my cat isn't very friendly and when he inevitably starts head butting them because he's actually really friendly, I tell them "he must like you." ... 948

12.

Font - llevus · 1y Every year on my birthday I take my friends to a very fancy restaurant, one of my favourites. I tell them I get a yearly voucher for a banquet since I know the owner, and therefore the meal is free. Truth is, while am friends with the owner, there is no yearly voucher. I just pay for everybody's meal (it's easily affordable) because I just want to treat them and don't want them to feel guilty about it. Been doing it for years now, become a tradition. 130 ...

13.

Gesture - FluffyZombiez • 1y 3 2 Awards I let people tell me the same story multiple times and act like it's my first time hearing it

14.

Font - Imc1127 • ly My roomate comes home very late every night and sets up the coffee machine to come on in the morning at 6am before she leaves for work. She does it wrong every single night and it either brews in the middle of the night or doesnt come on at all. So I get up every morning at 5:45 and re-do it for her so that she has hot coffee before work. Eventually ill tell her but right now she thinks she is doing it right and her confidence outweighs the little lie. 119 ...

15.

Font - I secretly greased your bicycle chain with the most expensive stuff I could find at the bicycle shop Well I mean not you, specifically dear redditor but two or three of the people on the island that I live on Pedal on, commuters! 225 ...

16.

Human body - qtaruntino • 1y I sponsor the education of 2 little kids from an orphanage. No one close to me knows. 100 ...

17.

Rectangle - OverwhelmingBlue · 1y I run my dad's instagram. He loves cooking and has started putting recipes up on a blog, so I steal them when I can and put them on an instagram account to help him get more traffic. 82 ...

18.

Font - OtherPassage • 1y I have always put quarters in people's parking meters if I saw they had run out. It happens more often thatn you think and it gave me extra joy when I did it just as a traffic cop was walking down the block. Now my city has changed to the system where you pay and put a reciept in your window so I cant do it any more and it bums me out. 153 •..

19.

Rectangle - Power-Wagon • ly I will randomly pay for peoples meals that are behind me in a drive thru and once in a while get an extra something for a homeless person. Especially this time of year. 4 78 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment