Monday, February 22, 2021

Vegan Employee Suggests Coworker Eat Burger Outside


Being basically cooperative, we don't want to step on people's toes. In this case there's an employee eating a burger in a designated eating space, and their coworker happens to not like that. Compromise is important, but it's also important that people agree on what "compromise" means. Prickly attitudes transcend dietary preference, like this entitled uncle who demanded a meat meal at a vegan wedding.

1.

Font - r/AmItheAsshole · Posted by u/throwaway1035782 1 day ago 26 8 34 E 6 AITAH for eating a hamburger in the break room in front of a vegan Not the A-hole Okay so I want to preface that most of the time I get along with this person let's call Carla but I'm not going to let someone tell me what to eat and where. Well I work second shift, and I was craving a hamburger for a while (few days). There's a fastfood burger place close to work so on my lunch break I went and picked up a" Tall burger"

2.

Font - Then I seen Carla, she's a vegan and even though she tells everyone she's a vegan she's never really been pushy (worked together a few years). We exchanged pleasantries she noticed the bag in my hand and said something to the effect of "yeah can you not eat that in here, the smell makes me nauseous and I can smell it already ". I said "well this is the only breakroom and I'm hungry so..." she suggested I eat it outside (we live in a cold snowy state). I just started eating and ignoring he

3.

Font - Well evidently she went and complained to some people because someone in my department brought it up later, she said I was mean to do that and I should compromise. Thing is I'm a pretty empathetic person, if someone has a allergy or something I try to accommodate, but being a vegan is a choice and it's not like I went out of my way just to annoy her. I honestly didn't even know she was in there til I got back, but I'm not going to eat out in the cold just to please someone. I still kinda

4.

Rectangle - PRMinx Asshole Aficionado [12] 1 day ago NTA. You're allowed to eat what you want to eat, and she doesn't get to call dibs on the break room. If she was so bothered, she should have left.

5.

Rectangle - pudge-thefish Certified Proctologist [23] 1 day ago · edited 1 day ago NTA if the smell of food in a place that is designated as an eating area bothers her she should be the one to leave, not you.

6.

Font - Jaded_Cryptographer Pooperintendant [57] 1 day ago NTA. I'm all for being respectful and considerate to other people when it's possible, but in this case there was no other reasonable alternative for you to take. Asking you to eat outside in the middle of winter is not a reasonable request.

7.

Font - Darkskinellie1 Partassipant [3] 1 day ago NTA the breakroom is for workers to eat. If she has an issue she could have left but why should you be the one to go outside?

8.

Font - v2den Asshole Aficionado [15] 1 day ago NTA. What compromise? She wants you to leave and eat it outside. I don't see compromise, I see entitlement. It will be a compromise if she said, "Can you give me 5 minutes, I am almost done eating" or "How long do you think it will take you to finish your lunch? Would 15 minutes be enough?"

9.

Rectangle - pbc85 1 day ago NTA. You said someone brought it up to you later and suggested that you compromise. What compromise did they have in mind? We're there other options besides eat in the break room and eat out in the cold?

10.

Font - UnethicallyEthical_ Partassipant [4] 1 day ago NTA. You're right, her being a vegan is her choice and she could've easily just left. No one's obligated to go out of their way (in your case how she expected you to eat ouside in the COLD, jeez) just for her. Again, she easily could've just left instead of demanding you to leave.

11.

Plant - Middle_Strawberry178 1 day ago NTA. Eat your food. You didn't microwave seafood and stink up the whole place, so you're fine. Let HER go outside if normal food makes her nauseous.

12.

Font - Aes-Sedai- 1 day ago NTA. I hate the smell of peanut butter (sibling with an allergy so the smell always triggers a something bad will happen feeling) and guess in public spaces I ignore the uncomfortable feeling when others eat it. In fact one roommate loves it and eats it in the house and I say exactly nothing. My problem isn't your issue to fix.

13.

Font - zippy_zaboo Certified Proctologist [23] 1 day ago NTA. It's a breakroom; that's what the break room is FOR.

14.

Font - LMGooglyTFY Asshole Enthusiast [6] 1 day ago NTA. There was no other place you could reasonably go to accommodate her unreasonable request. She has no right to say what people can and cannot eat in the break room.

15.

Font - domestipithecus 1 day ago NTA I'm vegan and have had a couple people ask if it was ok to eat meat in front of me. I always ask "Are you going to make me eat it?" Cause really, that's the only way it would REALLY bother me. People need to get over themselves. Sure I don't like the smell and concept, but that's my problem, not theirs.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment