Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Dude Thinks WiFi's Broken, Uses Ethernet Cable For Months, Learns Toggle Got Switched


Technology can throw us all for a trip at one point or another. Sometimes we fall prey to our own naive assumptions, and proceed to suffer through months of uncomfortableness (lousy chair with ethernet cable for this guy), and then we ultimately learn that the dang thing we thought was broken wasn't broken at all. Oh well. We live and we learn. 

1.

Font - r/tifu + Join u/ceilrahc · 6d 2 e 2 3 3 8 1 TIFU and used an ethernet cable for 9 months M Writing on mobile, apologies if the formatting is odd. Also obligatory this-wasn't-today disclaimer. As many of us have been doing over the past 10-odd months, I've been working from home a lot more. There's a lot of paper-based processes that need doing as part of my job, but last March I was fortunate to be given the opportunity for me to work from home, and I was given a laptop for this. It worke

2.

Font - Come the next day however, on firing up the laptop, it was unable to connect wirelessly to my wifi. Irritating, I thought, but fine. I'll use the ethernet cable I got off one of the IT guys before I left. I'm sure it'll right itself soon. Other family members were always sat at the desk in the spare room with the main router on it, and the nice desk chair, but there was an extension router I could plug into next to the dining room table, so I sat there instead.The chairs there are rigid a

3.

Font - Next day, same issue, no connection. And the next, and the next. I couldn't use this laptop anywhere but my dining room table unless everyone was out, then I could nick the coveted Nice DeskT in the spare room. I requested one or two online appointments with IT, who would reset something called the wifi drivers (I think?), and it would work great, until...the next day when I logged back on, and was in the same situation. I ended up not wanting to eat dinner at that table, as l'd spent the

4.

Font - Eventually in the late summer, I was asked if I wouldn't mind starting to work in the office again. I didn't mind; I missed my colleagues and had had enough of the deflated wooden creak-fest I called a home-working desk chair. I started to go back in and that was that, I didn't use the laptop for a while. As cases are rising in the UK, and I help look after vulnerable family members, I asked a few weeks ago to start working at least most of the time from home again. This was fine.

5.

Font - I logged back onto my un-trusty laptop my first morning back at home and noticed, apparently for the first time, next to the power button (glowing white), and a little button with a microphone on it (glowing white), that there was also a little button with a beacon symbol on it. This was glowing orange. Out of curiosity, I pressed it. It lit up white. The computer connected to my wifi within seconds.

6.

Font - I'd neglected to notice that l'd had the wifi button turned off since March. I'd sacrificed my poor butt bones to the horrors of the Chairs of Hell in my dining room for SIX MONTHS March-August during my initial working-from-home stint because l'd failed to catch that the wifi button was orange until DECEMBER.

7.

Font - Now, to praise the "wonders of IT for fixing my laptop" to my family members "and den't ask me teo many qUestions about how they did it'", and to sacrifice my back bones to the comfort of a beanbag in my bedroom for the next six months. TL;DR: while working at home, I sat at the same uncomfortable chair for months on end / sat in the same place because my wifi wouldn't work and I had to connect my laptop via an ethernet cable. Discovered a few weeks ago I must have accidentally toggled th

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment